4 year clutch?

Gareth Edmondson

T6 Pro
Afternoon All,

I'm concerned that my clutch needs replacing at 50,000 on my 2018 T6. I've been to two independent garages and both say it should not have gone that quickly. My van is a T32 (204). We have looked at pricing and the cheapest we have come up for parts is £1280 with £500-600 labour. Even worse is that both garages have said the parts are dealer only.

How do people afford to pay that sort of money for stuff? Especially as the cost of living goes up?

So I've had to cancel my clutch replacement and hope that it doesn't give any time soon - or at least until for a few months whilst I save.

Are there any known issues with VW clutches? If i go to VW with the "Two garages say.........." they will take no notice.

Thanks all - really fed up with my van today.

Gareth

That does seem low mileage.

Have you had the van from new?
Has it been remapped?
Does it regularly pull heavy loads/ trailers?
Has it been clocked?

Hope you get it sorted soon.

That does seem low mileage.

Have you had the van from new?
Has it been remapped?
Does it regularly pull heavy loads/ trailers?
Has it been clocked?

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Hi @T6Paul - thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions.....

1. Yes. Bought new in 2018 from Sinclair Vans Swansea
2. Nope
3. Not regularly
4. Clocked? No changes have been made to the engine at all

Thank you. Not quite sure where to go from here. I don't use it as a commercial van and don't drive it as if it's been stolen. It's our family car and has been converted slightly into a more comfy day van (carpets, usb ports, lights etc etc).

Thanks again,

Gareth

Hi all, thought i would post here to save a new post, My clutch pedal returns slowly. Likely the same issue so is anyone able to advise if it is the master or slave. no issue with slipping clutch other than when the pedal is not returned... pulls like a horse 92k miles. And yes it is still for sale and now a fault i want fixed before passing on. would happily do the work myself if anyone can help with a how too. ? shameless drop @T6Paul as you have been helpful before. ;)

Hi all, thought i would post here to save a new post, My clutch pedal returns slowly. Likely the same issue so is anyone able to advise if it is the master or slave. no issue with slipping clutch other than when the pedal is not returned... pulls like a horse 92k miles. And yes it is still for sale and now a fault i want fixed before passing on. would happily do the work myself if anyone can help with a how too. ? shameless drop @T6Paul as you have been helpful before. ;)
Could be master cylinder, have you tried bleeding the system?
Slave cylinder went on mine and clutch would not return at all, with pool of oil on drive.

I had a new clutch on my T6 in 2019, van on 94k at moment and now the pedal doesn't return unless i lift it up with my foot.
I had the brake/clutch fluid topped up as it was really low. would the system need bleeding ?

I bought my van with 50k miles, there was noticeable judder when reversing uphill which is often a sign of things starting to go bad, so probably a similar story to yours. I had the van remapped at 60k miles and then the clutch finally went at 90k miles, so I don’t really consider the remap played a big part overall.

So three months on and still no clutch replacement from VW. It was booked in August to be replaced on 19th September but this was cancelled due to the Queen's Funeral. Not an issue.

Turns out they couldn't fix it anyway on the 19th as there was a world shortage of parts. It's now November and we are still waiting for clutch parts. No response from VW.

I am being given dates for parts delivery; "End of October", "Nov 11th", "Nov 18th".... "We will be in touch....." No sign of the parts.

Nobody bothers. A complaint was sent to VW but they passed it back to the garage. Waste of time all around. So now an email has gone to the UK MD and next an email will go to Alice Beer on ITV (it won't really, but she did help me get a fridge refund from Currys).

Am I the only person in the UK needing a clutch replacement?

Gareth

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Surely the parts for a T6 clutch can’t be dealer supply only - there are loads of suppliers for clutch parts for other vehicles.

Pete

Surely the parts for a T6 clutch can’t be dealer supply only - there are loads of suppliers for clutch parts for other vehicles.

Pete
Without a doubt Pete. I wanted to use VW for the two year warranty. Especially as it wasn't that much more expensive than a local garage.

However - two of my local garages have been approached and have said that one of the parts is 'dealer supply only'.

I'm no mechanic so have to trust what I am told by the garages.

So will update later but I have a garage who said they have done a clutch on vw before and you CAN get non dealer parts. If I van find out what they are will post hear. Doefo the clutch as plant the foot in 5th and she spins up the revs. Pain in the ass. Quote so far 1600 plus VAT... 565 for dual mass fly wheel.

So three months on and still no clutch replacement from VW. It was booked in August to be replaced on 19th September but this was cancelled due to the Queen's Funeral. Not an issue.

Turns out they couldn't fix it anyway on the 19th as there was a world shortage of parts. It's now November and we are still waiting for clutch parts. No response from VW.

I am being given dates for parts delivery; "End of October", "Nov 11th", "Nov 18th".... "We will be in touch....." No sign of the parts.

Nobody bothers. A complaint was sent to VW but they passed it back to the garage. Waste of time all around. So now an email has gone to the UK MD and next an email will go to Alice Beer on ITV (it won't really, but she did help me get a fridge refund from Currys).

Am I the only person in the UK needing a clutch replacement?

Gareth
I’ve just had my clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder replaced, 38k no issues getting parts, used independent garage midland vw all genuine parts £1150 was the total cost parts and labour.

I’ve just had my clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder replaced, 38k no issues getting parts, used independent garage midland vw all genuine parts £1150 was the total cost parts and labour.
What went for you to have it done @ 38k? Slave cylinder? Had mine done in august, with roughly the same mileage.
Again no issues getting parts, went on a Friday, fixed on the Monday

that is a dam good price. i am hoping for that as currently quoted £2250 . I would drive to the midlands to have that done. car to PM your guy?

Anyone able to help , can get the parts for full clutch other than the thrust bearing as there is a 10 day lead time. And as it happens I have someone wanting to buy the van next week and have someone to fix it this weekend. Need a thrust bearing fast?

So possibly found the audi vw skoda equivalent parts but would need a vw part number for the thrust bearing to know if it's right

OEM PART NUMBERS​

• SEAT
    • 02 A1 4 116 5P
    • 02 A1 4 116 5R
  • SKODA
    • 02 A1 4 116 5P
    • 02 A1 4 116 5R
  • VW
    • 02 A1 4 116 5P
    • 02 A1 4 116 5R

Back