Clutch DMF issues under warranty

Bulldogboy

Hi peeps, i have a 28 plate 102ps highline, approved used vehicle from V.W, it came wirh a years warranty.
The van has developed a clutch issue, I've had it independently inspected.
The clutch release bearing isnt releasing in reverse, meaning you have to ride the clutch, or it brutally stalls and jumps out of gear, loud clicking when clutch is engaged, im told i need a new clutch.
I know the DMF is nitorious on these, my guy suspects its on the way out.
If it goes in to be examined, and they determine its not the DMF, theyre going to smash me up the bollocks for an inspection fee, and not sure the clutch is even covered.
Would i be better just getting my bloke to do clutch and DMF, and clutch?
It could cost ne 500+ at V.W to be told nothings covered?
Vans done 55k, waiting for s call back from vw, what to do?
Also VW did the timing belt and water pump, and didnt do the aux belt and pulley, also been told this is bad practice.
If i have both done, what other parts should be replaced as a matter if course.
Seems I've bought a 26 1/2 grand dog.

Evening.
The clutch release bearing doesn't actually release the drive when you press the clutch. It allows the rotating flywheel and clutch assembly to be held or pushed by the stationary fork.
If it is worn it may make a noise but, in my opinion, shouldn't affect the ability to disengage he clutch. It certainly won't only affect reverse as far as the clutch is concerned.
Perhaps the clutch is not moving enough which can often show up when trying to select lower (starting) gears, especially reverse?
DMF's in general are problematic on most vehicles fitted with one, regardless of manufacturer. If you have the clutch out it may make sense to do a little preventative maintenance while also saving a little on labour costs and have it replaced. Similarly, if you have the DMF replaced it may be prudent to change the clutch at the same time.
Many DMF's and clutches last well over 100k so don't assume both would necessarily need to be replaced.
Many people request a new auxiliary belt and pulley when they have the cambelt replaced. It is prudent, in much the same way as the clutch/DMF scenario but is not mandatory. We all know how much garages like to do the minimum...

Evening.
The clutch release bearing doesn't actually release the drive when you press the clutch. It allows the rotating flywheel and clutch assembly to be held or pushed by the stationary fork.
If it is worn it may make a noise but, in my opinion, shouldn't affect the ability to disengage he clutch. It certainly won't only affect reverse as far as the clutch is concerned.
Perhaps the clutch is not moving enough which can often show up when trying to select lower (starting) gears, especially reverse?
DMF's in general are problematic on most vehicles fitted with one, regardless of manufacturer. If you have the clutch out it may make sense to do a little preventative maintenance while also saving a little on labour costs and have it replaced. Similarly, if you have the DMF replaced it may be prudent to change the clutch at the same time.
Many DMF's and clutches last well over 100k so don't assume both would necessarily need to be replaced.
Many people request a new auxiliary belt and pulley when they have the cambelt replaced. It is prudent, in much the same way as the clutch/DMF scenario but is not mandatory. We all know how much garages like to do the minimum...
Hi, thanks for your input, im no expert maybe i didnt explain it well, the report on the invoice from the independent says " clutch not releasing fully when reverse selected"
I presume the clutch isnt covered under warranty, my worry is if i ask them to check the DMF, and its ok, they will charge me a £500 fee ( i think i read on here thats what they charge)
So if the clutch isnt covered,it may not be worth the risk of getting the DMF checked by v.w. then incurring a £500 fee if its ok,then getting the clutch and dmf done by my guy anyway.
As you say, if the clutch is out, seems false economy not to do the DMF at the same time.

Back