4 year clutch?

What a pain in the backside and sooooo frustrating. Gobeithio chi'n cael ateb cyn bo hir (Hope you get an answer soon)

Okay all- need advice. The missing piece of the jigsaw is the release bearing |(VW Part Number: 0A5 141 671 Q) - it has been out of stock for over six months now and no sign of it being in stock.

Speaking to Darkside Developments they believe another part will fit: VW Part Number: 0A5 141 671 R - which is also a VW part fitted in Audi TTRS which uses the A05 gearbox.

Darkside can supply all of that for me - but will not warranty that part.

Need opinion - do I go for it?

Many thanks

Gareth

Last edited:
Okay all- need advice. The missing piece of the jigsaw is the release bearing |(VW Part Number: 0A5 141 671 Q) - it has been out of stock for over six months now and no sign of it being in stock.

Speaking to Darkside Developments they believe another part will fit: VW Part Number: 0A5 141 671 R - which is also a VW part fitted in Audi TTRS which uses the A05 gearbox.

Darkside can supply all of that for me - but will not warranty that part.

Need opinion - do I go for it?

Many thanks

Gareth

I'd go for it, it doesn't seem as though you have any other way to get your van back on the road anytime soon.

WE HAVE NEWS..... All part have been ordered from Darkside Developments (they have been great over email). They are arriving on Monday. Of course the release bearing is an issue.

HOwever - VW Vans in Swansea said they would use a different part and they gave me the part number. This is the first time they have said this to me. I spoke to their parts guy instead of the service guy behind a desk. He was very good (Huw). Lo and behold I found the part - in MotorFactors in Swansea for £80.88 (VW wanted £155). So I sent my Dad over to get it.

So now all parts are in place. VW are booked for the 8th Feb to fit the whole lot. I'm also booked into my local garage to get it done too.

Of course - the negative side of me (80% of my psyche) thinks something will go wrong. What if Darkside have sent the wrong parts? What if VW are wrong with the non-VW part number? What if it all goes wrong. Anyway - hopefully this whole sorry, crappy VW saga can come to an end soon.

Thanks everyone,

Gareth

YAAAAAHOOOOOOO - The van went into the garage today and the clutch has been replaced. A kit from Darkside Developments and a return bearing from LUK (from FMP Motor Factors in Swansea). Gate Shop Garage in Gwaun Cae Gurwen had the old one out and fitted by 2pm today. Cannot fault the team there. Spot on with the service.

So all in all I have paid

£1080 for Darkside Official Parts Clutch kid (minus return bearing)
£80.88 for the LUK return bearing from local company
£275 for labour at GCG in my village.

Total = £1435.88

Saving £415 compared to VW price. Well happy.

So - thanks everyone for their support. Never will I hassle VW again to fix my van. However I did hassle the Director of Commercial Vehicles on LinkedIn last night. He got in touch with me today. I'm still going to push the issue with them and the Ombudsman. In the meantime - my van is working again.

Gareth

YAAAAAHOOOOOOO - The van went into the garage today and the clutch has been replaced. A kit from Darkside Developments and a return bearing from LUK (from FMP Motor Factors in Swansea). Gate Shop Garage in Gwaun Cae Gurwen had the old one out and fitted by 2pm today. Cannot fault the team there. Spot on with the service.

So all in all I have paid

£1080 for Darkside Official Parts Clutch kid (minus return bearing)
£80.88 for the LUK return bearing from local company
£275 for labour at GCG in my village.

Total = £1435.88

Saving £415 compared to VW price. Well happy.

So - thanks everyone for their support. Never will I hassle VW again to fix my van. However I did hassle the Director of Commercial Vehicles on LinkedIn last night. He got in touch with me today. I'm still going to push the issue with them and the Ombudsman. In the meantime - my van is working again.

Gareth
Pleased you're all sorted @Gareth Edmondson, but I think it's telling that you're "well happy" having only(!) spent £1400 on your Transporter. :rofl:

Glad it's all sorted and that your able to use it. Where you going for the conversion?

Hi all, thought i would post here to save a new post, My clutch pedal returns slowly. Likely the same issue so is anyone able to advise if it is the master or slave. no issue with slipping clutch other than when the pedal is not returned... pulls like a horse 92k miles. And yes it is still for sale and now a fault i want fixed before passing on. would happily do the work myself if anyone can help with a how too. ? shameless drop @T6Paul as you have been helpful before. ;)
I had the same experience with slow return pedal on the clutch around 95ish. Would drive fine but on longer runs I had to pump and lift with toe to get clutch to work.

The brake/clutch fluid was meant to have been changed but on closer inspection the fluid to the clutch slave cylinder had not been changed and was starting to turn to gel. Once pumped out and clear fluid clutch behaved and have another 10k on it now. I usually have the fluid changed 50k or years. We do at times pull heavier load with trailers.

It cheaper to do that before jumping in deep.

The early T5.1 early DMF were a disaster, dealer changed one at 30k, dealer left pressure plate bolt in the bell housing which got caught in the pressure plate blowing the the clutch hydraulic line. New flywheel, slave cylinder, hose, clutch late, pressure plate. Took dealer to court and won.

Heya Newbie Forum member here also newbie 18 plate T6 owner - just bought it last November. Not sure if this an appropriate thread or whether I should post elsewhere.

We've just been told our flywheel (and maybe clutch?) is on the way out, filings? Anyone able to recommend where to go to get sorted - we are in South Glos.

Heya Newbie Forum member here also newbie 18 plate T6 owner - just bought it last November. Not sure if this an appropriate thread or whether I should post elsewhere.

We've just been told our flywheel (and maybe clutch?) is on the way out, filings? Anyone able to recommend where to go to get sorted - we are in South Glos.

Welcome to the forum.
Have you got any sort of warranty?

Back