3rd row QR seat installation - brackets?

VioletVW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all,

I have already looked through the threads linked to this but do not have a definitive answer so here goes:

Are the reinforcing brackets required when installing the 4 quick release brackets in the 3rd row necessary?

I’ve seen responses mentioning that their factory shuttle does not have them and that with the brackets in place it is difficult to tighten up the nut – I assume the bracket adds thickness and the threads on the quick release bracket are not long enough.

So, does anyone have a concrete response?

Does anyone on here professionally fit 3rd row seats and have a clear idea on this.

I’m on the fence, as I would like to fir the seat but before I begin I would like to have all necessary parts ready.

Thanks in advance.

Keri

My factory fitted third row bench does not have the extra brackets.
I think I read your comment in another thread and that got me thinking. I understand brackets in the second row but adding them in the third two seems less common and potentially unnecessary.

The rear triple has reinforcement brackets, same as row two. All are available from VW. There is plenty of space for them and bolts are long enough.

It’s the factory rear single in a Shuttle on the n/s that doesn’t have any brackets form factory - we still fitted brackets when retrofitting this position.

The rear triple has reinforcement brackets, same as row two. All are available from VW. There is plenty of space for them and bolts are long enough.

It’s the factory rear single in a Shuttle on the n/s that doesn’t have any brackets form factory - we still fitted brackets when retrofitting this position.
Why, if the factory don’t fit them?

Because we like to be double safe - Its odd how they have reinforcement plates on all seats bar the outer single, third row - I have to say we were shocked when we saw it. We are happier putting the plates in - There is plenty of thread length and room for them :)

Because we like to be double safe - Its odd how they have reinforcement plates on all seats bar the outer single, third row - I have to say we were shocked when we saw it. We are happier putting the plates in - There is plenty of thread length and room for them :)
Are you talking SWB or LWB. Mine is a SWB with a bench originally in R3. As you say its odd the 2nd row with a 2 and 1 seat (8 floor brackets) gets reinforced yet the 3 seat bench (4 floor brackets) gets none.

All our shuttles are LWB. The third row three seater bench gets reinforcement brackets/plates as normal. It’s the outer position in the third row on the n/s for the 2nd row middle with integrated seatbelts that didn’t have the plates - so you can move this middle row seat back when the triple isn’t there. I’m not sure the SWB has it?

I hope that makes sense?

See pics below

E99F7574-CD22-4364-B847-F6C3E318F417.jpeg

0BD2F5B3-858F-4326-9C65-D29CC33ECE45.jpeg

I didn’t get those on my SWB 9 seat window van, just the 4 in the middle in R3. When underneath I seem to recall some of the fixings are inside box sections so not possible to get the plates on.

Are the reinforcing plates, that come with the lwb shutle, the same as those used in row 2?

There would appear to be marked differences between the swb and lwb.

Perhaps the box section provides enough additional strength so the plates aren't needed on on the swb?

Is it possible to move the 2nd row 2+1 seats backwards to a third row position in lwb kombi?

I didn’t get those on my SWB 9 seat window van, just the 4 in the middle in R3. When underneath I seem to recall some of the fixings are inside box sections so not possible to get the plates on.
We’ve just done this and some fixings are tight and into box sections, so its tricky get the nuts in but once tightened the panel they sit on are already massively strengthened so you don’t need additional plates. I wish I had a car lift as it would be so much easier to take photos and a video! The pictures I’ve taken are really hard to see what’s going on

Back