255/35/20 -50mm drop?

I run 275/40/20 with Bilstein B14. Ride is great.
Fronts will touch on big bumps if I go way down so I’ve got a fingers width between top of tyre and arch. I can fill it with race bike and all kit and it doesn’t touch.( never touches lock to lock)

I will put 255’s on when I replace.

hope it helps

Hi Guys,
I’m looking at these on my T30.

Tyres would be 255/35/20 102

Im currently running standard shocks with 50mm H&R lowering springs on standard 17” VW alloys on spacers. Will I have any issues with the ride? Should I think about coil overs also?
Thanks in advance
Hi Andy.

A lot of people find 50mm springs standard shocks and 20s a harsh ride, especially with the 255/35 tyres.

You could think about upgrading to a set of ST-X coil overs. These work beautifully at 50mm down, but will go to 65 if you wanted and will give you a far better ride than the standard shocks and 50mm springs. There are other options too if you want to go lower.

You could always get the wheels on and see what you think with your current setup and then change at a later date if it’s too harsh.

I’m not too far from you just down in Somerset, PM me or give me a call on 07791045464 and I can go through all of the options I have available for you.

Cheers,

Chris.

Only you can see if it works for you, but as above, a lot of people find it quite hard and uncompromising on springs and 20’s. I find them too much on 18’s!

Best money spent on your van, even though you can’t see it, will be on your suspension, but you will certainly feel the difference. And being a T30 you are lucky to be able to have what we consider to be the best bang for buck suspension out there - STX by KW - As pointed out already by Chris above.

We run a demo van on 20’s and STX, but maybe too far for you to go. We are also a Wolfrace dealer so can put a package together.

Everything we sell is available as mail order.

Try it and see how you go, carrying out modifications 1 by 1 is a great way to move forward as you can feel the difference each makes.

Thanks guys for the advice so far, much appreciated.
I think my van is currently on 30mm eibach lowering springs not 50mm as mentioned previously.
I will give you both a bell and talk through the options.
My van is definitely crying out for new rims. Maybe I should go for them first and then the coil overs.

IMG_3263 - Copy.jpg

One last question.... My van has the tyre pressure warning system, when changing wheels, what do I need to keep this without the system throwing a wobbly?

Unless things have changed, if you fit wheels without TPMS valves, after driving a short distance (assuming you don't have your original wheels in the van) you'll get a ping and a message to say that the system has turned off. That will be the last you'll hear about it until you refit wheels with TPMS. They it'll go ping and tell you it has turned back on again.

If your TPMS is the basic one that measures wheel speed, you'll just need to set the system like you do when you adjust your tyre pressures.

You can have them swapped over to the new wheels at the time of fitting tyres, assuming they have not corroded and seized solid, or buy new ones. From VW, I think they are around £80 each, but there are other makes all over the internet for about half that.

I'm sure if you were to buy your wheels from somewhere like @BognorMotors or @ChrisR they'd have a deal with you on the fully built up package including new sensors.

These are 20's with 275/40/R20 load rated tyres, supplied with my van, running on B14's.

Ride is fine for me with a full camper set up, but I wanted some bigger tyres and smaller wheels for more winter tyre and grass / track versatility, I live in the peaks and spend a lot of time on grass or up tracks to sailing clubs. I have new 18's turning up tomorrow so will be selling these wheels on in the next couple of weeks...

DSC_0434.jpg

One last question.... My van has the tyre pressure warning system, when changing wheels, what do I need to keep this without the system throwing a wobbly?
there are two systems.
The older cheaper abs fed system - you don’t need to do anything with this bar reset when fitting new wheels.
Or the new system, with TOMS valves, either swap them, or buy new ones - around £72+vat from memory.

Back