204PS MPG real values

Having purchased a t6 t28 102ps some 6 months ago I have been consistently disappointed with fuel consumption figures which have averaged upper 30's compared to the low 40's I regularly achieved with my previous vehicle (a 2002 Renault trafic owned from new). Neither my driving style nor payload have varied since purchasing the VW. Official combined fuel economy for the trafic was quoted at 38mpg in 2002. A significant factor in my choosing a t6 as its replacement was the class leading combined mpg figure of 47.9. After returning the vehicle to VW to source reasons for the poor fuel consumption I was assured that all was well other than being informed that the current tests for fuel consumption are different to the tests carried out in 2002. There is an awful lot of anecdotal evidence that manufacturers of new vehicles are producing wildly optimistic forecasts for fuel economy. Could they also be producing wildly optimistic forecasts for CO2 emissions? I find it hard to believe that a vehicle achieving lower fuel consumption can achieve reduced CO2 emissions (153mg for the t6 as opposed to 198mg for the trafic).

I been doing 30 mpg + , just nipping about but on a 60 mile there 60 back trip over xmas it returned 38 mpg, i have mange to do 1600 miles now

I'm still going on the dash info.
My 204 has just done over 5k. Today, a short trip of about 5 miles, then 5 miles back showed 42mpg on the display.
Mostly 30mph limits with a short 50mph stretch.

That's good enough for me, hopefully ordering tomorrow. I generally do around 100 miles of motorway a day, but once/twice a weeks its B roads hence the 4motion will be good.

Think I'll go for the bigger tank, auxiliary heater... Are you meaning the extra heating for the 2nd row of seats (around £550 on top of highline spec)?

That's good enough for me, hopefully ordering tomorrow. I generally do around 100 miles of motorway a day, but once/twice a weeks its B roads hence the 4motion will be good.

Think I'll go for the bigger tank, auxiliary heater... Are you meaning the extra heating for the 2nd row of seats (around £550 on top of highline spec)?
One bit of controversial advice I would give is to look into the options of lights. I have the basic headlights which I believe to be not really fit for night driving. Knowing what I know now I'd insist on a night test drive and get the salesman to look me in the eye (if he could find me in the dark) and tell me the lights are fine. Could be a bargaining chip to get an upgrade. Why we should be paying more money to be able to see at night is beyond me.

I will ask the question regarding the lights, will most probably tell me the problem has never been heard of but worth a go.

Auxiliary heater is just a booster to make the engine warm up more quickly £275 I think. Does not provide any extra controls and you can't switch it on or off (As I could on a previous Vito 2001 which had it fitted automatically when the bulk head was deleted). It works automatically when air temp below 5C. Does make a massive difference but probably not good for fuel usage but is possibly offset a little by the engine being at a more efficient operating temperature more quickly.

I was not going to order the head light package as they are so expensive and my T5.1 were not bad. Following advice seen on this and another forum I went for it and have to say they are fantastic and a little bonus was that the package included the heated washer jets and fluid level indicator I had specified. Plus also included headlight washers and self levelling function.

Anybody know how long before a new van mpg improves? Averaging mid 20's at the mo and seriously hoping it's just because it brand new with a few hundred miles on the clock...

Anybody know how long before a new van mpg improves? Averaging mid 20's at the mo and seriously hoping it's just because it brand new with a few hundred miles on the clock...

Im at 3500miles and no improvment. I have to really really try just to get 30mpg. Actually averaging 26-28mpg by my own calculations. V-power of 3 tanks fulls did feck all difference.

Im hoping Pendle sort a map out sharpish so i can get it mapped and hopefully improved like my Euro 5 84ps. Not even trying i got 33mpg all day long on that van when remapped. 38 when trying.

I would say with every 5k I get another mpg on the overall average . I'm now a tad under 18k and getting 39mpg.

Latest manual calc for a tank full was just over 34mpg, MFD said just over 36mpg, 12,000miles on the clock (140ps) same mpg from new. I'm not heavy footed and drive 35 miles each way to work each day on a dual carriageway.

Hi all. i am running a T6 204 BITDI 4 MOTION DSG that is at 3.6 tons all the time. My dash comp says this, PS take the weight into massive account regards. On a dive over 100 miles with a second van of mine which is a ford Transit costom 155 BHP L2 H2 following me at the same speed of average 75 MPH. The transporter averaged bang on 35 MPG. The Transit costom averaged 33.7 MPG. The transporter is aprox 300kg heavier full stop. Yes the VW is only pulling on normal back road etc driving at 29.6 MPG. But no complaints from me. The engine now has done 3400 miles and not worn in, It is a massive improvement on my old 180 BITDI 4motion DSG. power and torque so much lower down the rev range where needed. all i can say is i hope it lasts better as well, regards the 180 BITDI engine. Pitty the 2.5 5 cylinder T5 was far the best regards power/torque/reliability.

Hi Polzeylad, my new T6 204 has now only coverd 3800 miles but as you say is defo massively improved and refined. and driver comfort is as big a leap as from T5.2 to the T6. Even carrying the weight a massive improvement hands down on the 180 BITDI.The power and Torque is huge driver comfort regarding the small so said power increase. I really don't think the old engine is anywhere near the 204 bhp engine. Again i hope mine lasts better than my old 180 BITDI fingers crossed at this early stage. All i can say is one more thing how much more power that is available is amazing regarding the 180 BITDI for just another 24 BHP. You know that it has to be driven to understand lol. PS mine as said 4 MOTION DSG. The front 2 wheel drive manual will be a standard animal regarding lighting up its tyres unloaden I'm sure.

It's not the extra 24bhp you feel. It's the whopping 36lbft of extra torque much lower in the rev range.

Wish I had the 204, dam you VW for not letting me chance.

Hi RattyMcClelland. The engine is a still mear 2.0 diesel but they are pushing the limit again lol. The 2.5 5 clinder 174 had bag loads of torque low down on the rev range where needed when operating a van for its purpose. The 180 BITDI took over as well as emissions oh dear and developed 180 bhp at 4000 rpm, which was never going to work for a man in a van with any load. sorry to sound wrong to other members regarding 180 BITDI which goes really well unladen.I have personally found the 204 to really to once again and not to concerned regarding MPG as business. but to be a amazing improvement on power plus normal driving regarding practicality in my use which is defo not the normal use LOL AGAIN. As you said its all about the torque and when delivered. This defo makes the 204 engine a useable unit regarding work.

Back