2023 pitch fees.

there will always be people who don't and never will give a f**k about dumping rubbish we was parked behind a car in mcdonalds a few years ago and a couple of women and their kids lobbed all the rubbish out the car windows the thing was there was a massive sign asking not to dump rubbish and a bin right next to them i confronted them and got told ( don't worry about it mate they've got someone who picks it up )

I suspect a major factor in the reticence of local authorities to provide an equivalent to Aires is a fear that these places will be taken over by the people we used to call Travellers, if there is now a politically correct/woke alternative to that descriptor I am sure someone will let me know.

Such a group arrived overnight recently in one of the major carparks in a local town. Fortunately they only stayed a week but in that time the council lost hundreds of pounds of revenue because no-one was going to pay to park there whilst the site was "otherwise occupied" and when they did leave it took two days (and goodness knows how much cost) to clear up the incredible quantity of rubbish left behind.
Local authorities should have the right to impound valuables such as vehicles until all repairs and cleaning up are completed by those causing the problem. If the work is not done within a specified time period at no expense to the authority the valuables should be forfeited and sold to cover the costs.

Such wandering folks are known as gens du voyage in France and seem to have sufficient laws applying to them and the local authorities to ensure that they are not such a problem as they are in the UK.

Too many 'do-gooders' here I am afraid.

Was up in Bamburgh the weekend before last and the beach was absolutely heaving - never seen it as busy. There must have been at least a couple of dozen people there (so about a 1km stretch per person). :D
Bav… ssshhhh it’s the best kept secret .
Until Robson Green starting shouting about it

Reactions: Bav
I'm currently on a municipal campsite in Vaas France Le camping** - Commune de Vaas. For one person without electricity it"s €6.50 plus tourist tax per night. Even better is that the washing machine is free to use.
Yup, we’re currently 3 weeks into a 7 week trip through France & Italy. Stayed on some cracking sites, all with the ACSI card. The most we’ve paid is €23/night for 2 adults inc. EHU. The one & only reason campsites charge £50-60/night is because muppets are prepared to pay it.

So I’ve just booked the tunnel to France for a 3 week trip, not booking sites in advance as will make up the route as we go. For last years trip round Spain I just used the internet to find campsites but this year I have an acsi card and their app/book.

Question for those that have used the app, do you still have to call / email the site to make a booking as there doesn’t seem to be a way to book electronically via the app or am I just being thick.

@jimc91 Just turn up and flash the card if you're happy to do so without a reservation - we always wing it. When are you going? I ask as the ACSI CC won't be valid anywhere until school summer hols finish - the usual start date is somewhere between 1 and 14 September and sites vary.

Thanks for the reply; going out 4th September on the euro tunnel coming back 26th on the ferry from Bilbao so we will be working our way down France. Will probably book the first night near Calais then just make it up as we go

So I’ve just booked the tunnel to France for a 3 week trip, not booking sites in advance as will make up the route as we go. For last years trip round Spain I just used the internet to find campsites but this year I have an acsi card and their app/book.

Question for those that have used the app, do you still have to call / email the site to make a booking as there doesn’t seem to be a way to book electronically via the app or am I just being thick.
You can email sites directly from the app. We just wing it. We’ve only been turned away once in 7 years. That’s the beauty of “Vanlife” make it up as you go along.

Think they are slowly upgrading the app to book direct? But as above from September doubt you'll have any issues getting a pitch.

Couldn't agree more about the poor value of campsites in the UK - not only cost, but dodgy practice like charging extra for putting up an awning, extra for showers, EHU only available on a few ( often crummy hard standing) pitches, cold water for washing up, large boozy groups turning up and carrying on all night etc etc etc. The comparison with France where we spend a fair amount of time ( maybe average of €20 per night over 4 months) doesn't make me want to spend any real time camping in the UK.

Plenty of good Cornish beach front ‘carparks’ open to vans for a tenner for 24 hours, the best I’ve seen is 3 quid for 24 hours in a pristine area on one of the best bits of the Cornish coast

@DXX. I suspect I probably already know the answers but what do you do for toilet and shower facilities in those 'carparks'?

I'm not seeing these expensive sites, I just checked on the pitch up app, and if I wanted to stay in a prime location in Cornwall, tonight (Polzeath) there's a choice of sites for £20 or under a night.

Now, compare that to Airbnb... Yikes.
£100 to £200+ per night, for a shed.

Yeah, there's a reason I bought a van!

Back