2023 pitch fees.

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So just started to plan our 2023 weekend trips but we are now seriously considering selling the van due to the crazy pitch fees. We only use our van for weekends and a few longer breaks during the year so was already a large expense but having to way up our options now. We would have to cut back on the number of nights it would be used which then makes ownership just too expensive and not viable? Looking on the bright side don't expect finding a pitch will be an issue.

Agreed some sites are getting ridiculous but then with cost of electric, cost of living, etc It’s not the best but at least it’s getting away when you can

Id love to buy your van....

Just gotta get some cash first..

(I've based my camper wishlist on the overall look and feel of your athstetic)

So just started to plan our 2023 weekend trips but we are now seriously considering selling the van due to the crazy pitch fees. We only use our van for weekends and a few longer breaks during the year so was already a large expense but having to way up our options now. We would have to cut back on the number of nights it would be used which then makes ownership just too expensive and not viable? Looking on the bright side don't expect finding a pitch will be an issue.

I've been looking, seems to average out about £25-30 a night for club sites and £35-40 for somewhere half decent coastal.

That's including an awning and dog. Is worth checking around as some places extras are free or flat rate, and some places per day. I priced up one site and it was about 60 quid a day as dog/awning was an extra each day

I say it's expensive, but compared to the other options, renting a cottage etc who knows.

I've been looking at that . . .

Brits Stops, Park 4 Night

buy the book and you get access to the APP for the year.

1672408941045.png

Honestly can't be doing with all that. Sounds great having a free park up. Until you ger woken by the old bill, boy racers or doggers. Way to much hassle and anxiety for us. And let's not get onto the toilet issue in the middle of the night. Cheap option is temporarily sites but rarely get any facilities with those. Just seen a site we used last year has now fitted meters to each pitch. Can't see next year being successful for a lot of sites. Will be cancelling our C&CC and MHC membership when they are due as can't be paying those prices now.

Honestly can't be doing with all that. Sounds great having a free park up. Until you ger woken by the old bill, boy racers or doggers. Way to much hassle and anxiety for us. And let's not get onto the toilet issue in the middle of the night. Cheap option is temporarily sites but rarely get any facilities with those. Just seen a site we used last year has now fitted meters to each pitch. Can't see next year being successful for a lot of sites. Will be cancelling our C&CC and MHC membership when they are due as can't be paying those prices now.
Each to their own but I’ve never been woken up by Police, land owners or doggers, maybe I’m out of luck?
There are places where there maybe boy racers but they don’t generally hang around long unless they are getting attention.

our C&CC has just auto-renewed . . . . (Face Plant) :sleep:

1672409726212.png

and the BritStop APP is no good for us as we are Tent Dwellers. . . .

so its back to finding a good deal on a pitch.

+++++++++++++++++

saying that, we already have tickets for these four events, so that will keep us busy. ( plus a few family events at a campsite that the famalam store there caravan )

these alone are worth keeping your van:

Camperjam23 - Camper Jam 23 - (7th - 9th July 2023)
SummerCamp23 - T6F Summer Camp 23 - (21-23th July 2023)
Busfest23 - Busfest-23 +++ 8-10th Sept 2023 +++
AutumnGathering23 - T6Forum Autumn Gathering -- 22-24th Sept 2023 --

I raised this issue earlier this year in relation to one partcular site in Cornwall (Padstow Holiday Village) who were looking to charge near extortionate fees for just their standard pitches. We came to the conclusion a long time ago that most European sites provided far better facilities than most in the UK for much less money and our last long road trip last year down to Croatia certainly supported that. However, I received our 2023 ACSI / Camping Card books in the mail just before Christmas and had a quick look at the new prices for some of the sites that we stayed in last year - i didn't actually do side by side comparisons but the impression that I got was that they were averaging increasing prices in the region of 15 - 25% (which I'm not really that surprised at!). Mind you, they will still generally represent far better value than the average UK place.

On UK club memberships, last year was the first in a long time that we actually went the whole time without using one of their sites - I always vowed that once that happened, I wouldn't be renewing so have let them lapse.

The only reason i keep up membership is to use the CL & CS sites as they are usually cheaper but require you to be a member and we use our own toilet and shower facilities

I prefer searchforsites.co.uk

If you sign up on the website it includes Brit Stops and the club sites, both Club and Certificated sites.

I think you have to pay to use the app though.

Also don't forget the big players, they have dynamic pricing, so you can get electric pitches off season for £10+ per night.

If you turn up on a half empty campsite with several other sites within easy travelling distance you have the upper hand. Booking in Dec for next summer is never going to get you a good price.

Head for Folkstone and under the Channel, forget the exorbitant UK site prices and enjoy Europe. As far as we can see after forty five years of camper ownership with the possible exception of Scotland the UK camp sites simply want to bleed our wallets dry.

If you had a nice field, you laid a track and half a dozen hardstandings, with electric points, WiFi, a fresh water point, waste disposal tank, recycling rubbish bins, someone to attend to the general grounds, maintenance, grass cuttting etc, and someone to administer the booking system, phone line etc, how much would would charge per night to make it worth all the bother, many times I see people attempting to heat their awning with a fan heater during the colder months.. , the electricity cost alone is so much higher now than last year.
I do agree that some sites charge way over the top, a bit like Vw and camper-van dealers..
#Disclaimer I work on a holiday site that has a small touring site attached.

Last edited:
If you had a nice field, you laid a track and half a dozen hardstandings, with electric points, WiFi, a fresh water point, waste disposal tank, recycling rubbish bins, someone to attend to the general grounds, maintenance, grass cuttting etc, and someone to administer the booking system, phone line etc, how much would would charge per night to make it worth all the bother, many times I see people attempting to heat their awning with a fan heater during the colder months.. , the electricity cost alone is so much higher now than last year.
I do agree that some sites charge way over the top, a bit like Vw and camper-van dealers..
#Disclaimer I work on a holiday site that has a small touring site attached.
Don't particularly require EHU but most sites you have no option to pick a none EHU pitch.

Back