Camping in Southern Germany and Austria - Late August

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
We're planning on heading to Croatia in the van for our late summer road trip and current thinking is going through the tunnel on 22 August and driving across France via the 'Reims route' to Germany, Austria and Slovenia. I've lost count of the number of times that I've been to Germany but I've always been working have never actually spent much time travelling the country. Checking online, I see that the kids in Bavaria and Austria don't go back to school until 11 September after the summer break and I'm wondering whether campsites in either country are likely to be a bit busy until then. When we've been away either tenting or in the van to Europe, we've never pre-book anything as we prefer to just drive and decide on campsites as we go along. So I guess the question is are we likely to have any problems finding pitches in campsites that late in the school summer break in either Germany or Austria. Any recommendations for sites near Stuttgart and Munich would also be appreciated. Cheers in advance

Hi, we're doing very similar, Monday coming over to Holland then Germany, Austria, Switzerland then back up through Germany. We've booked 2 days at a campsite in Berlin, 1 night near the VW factory at Wolfsburg, 1 at Munich and 2 by the Austrian border. Initially struggling for Austria and Switzerland but found out they don't precooked to capacity so allow first come first served. The Munich one is near the football ground so we can have a tour in the morning

@Pedro20001. Thanks for that - I would be very interested in how busy you find campsites to be when you actually get to them and would appreciate reports assuming you have connectivity. I'm also still wondering what the situation would be by the last week or so of August before the kids go back to school on 11/9. Anybody else please?

Sorry to bump but has anyone got advice on this please? I really need to make a decision on when to go but would like a bit more info before then.

Last edited:
It's an unusual experience for a T6F regular but I was a bit underwhelmed by the rush of responses to my original post above. I have therefore decided to err on the side of caution and have now booked the trip through the tunnel on 5 September (after a night booked in The Drum Inn on 4 September) returning a month later.

Back