2020 t28 149bhp Dsg, driver side drive shaft removal

illusion

Hi,

i have a 2020 T28 dsg which has been lowered on coilovers which i think i have had a drive shaft fail and the deal is not interested because it been modified, can anyone tell me if i pull the drivers side driver shaft, does it come out the gearbox or off a spline? or will i loose gearbox oil?

any information would be great before i pull it apart, just so i can get the items i need before taking it apart

Last edited:
You can remove driveshaft from DSG gearbox withoute loss of fluid. Remember not to pul on it, it can come lose in the innerjoint. Torq spec for driveshaft nut is 200Nm 180 degree return and then 200Nm

On a t6 6 speed. Is this the same. My n/s has gone but I see it has a coupling going into the gearbox. If I pull this out will oilcome out as I read it best to relace the shaft and coupling.

Hi, I am also haveing to change a driveshaft on my DSG 2020 transporter T6.1. So just to be clear, there is no oil in that part of the gear box?
Should it be greased up when fitting a new Drive shaft?

There are two parts I think. One short stubby one which goes into the box and then the main driveshaft goes into that. I presume if you pull the main stubby one out of the box oil will come out. But if you just doing the main driveshaft you will be ok. I have not done mine yet. Yes grease were it goes into the stubby one ...

Can anyone answer this question?
Would you know whether Gearbox Oil leaks out on a VW T6 DSG 7 Speed Gearbox when removing a driveshaft.

The DSG 7 Speed Gearbox uses genuine gearbox oil > VW Part Number G052182A2 of around 5 to 6 Litres.

However, I do know when removing a driveshaft from a T6 DSG 7 Speed Gearbox, the driveshaft is held in by a spring-clip on the spline within the DSG Gearbox so you can prise out the driveshaft with a bar. At the back end of the driveshaft splines where they meet the large cup bearing there is a rubber seal which you need to make sure you do not damaged. When you look at the spline end it is attached to a very large cup. This large cup is called the 'Triple Roller Joint Bearing' and can be pulled apart easily once the boot is removed. Care must always be taken removing the driveshaft as "IF" the 'Triple Roller Joint Bearing' opens up by pulling too much on the driveshaft removal, the 'Triple Roller Joint Bearing' could open up and a roller bearing may become dislodged. Also on dismantle if any of these rollers are dropped on the floor they can crack. The roller joint uses 90 Grams of VW Part Number G052186A2 a lithium based grease, not the same as the CV joint Grey grease. VW T6 DSG CV Joint (wheel end) attached.

On most cars when removing a driveshaft from the gearbox you will loose an amount oil from the gearbox which will need to be topped up.

On the VW T6 DSG 7 Speed Gearbox from what I have researched it has a dry clutch. This is looking at a VW DSG 7 Speed Gearbox on a '15 Plate' VW Tiguan.
Whereas on a VW DSG 6 Speed Gearbox it has a wet clutch. The DSG 6 Speed Gearbox is on my Passat Alltrack.

Attachments

• VW T6 DSG CV Joint.pdf
    48.4 KB · Views: 51
Just make sure you grease the splines properly. Apparently VW don't and I've just had to have the drive shaft replaced and the gearbox rebuilt after just 64k on a 17 plate! The splines basically rust away. They grease the other side though??!!

Can anyone answer this question?
Would you know whether Gearbox Oil leaks out on a VW T6 DSG 7 Speed Gearbox when removing a driveshaft.

The DSG 7 Speed Gearbox uses genuine gearbox oil > VW Part Number G052182A2 of around 5 to 6 Litres.

However, I do know when removing a driveshaft from a T6 DSG 7 Speed Gearbox, the driveshaft is held in by a spring-clip on the spline within the DSG Gearbox so you can prise out the driveshaft with a bar. At the back end of the driveshaft splines where they meet the large cup bearing there is a rubber seal which you need to make sure you do not damaged. When you look at the spline end it is attached to a very large cup. This large cup is called the 'Triple Roller Joint Bearing' and can be pulled apart easily once the boot is removed. Care must always be taken removing the driveshaft as "IF" the 'Triple Roller Joint Bearing' opens up by pulling too much on the driveshaft removal, the 'Triple Roller Joint Bearing' could open up and a roller bearing may become dislodged. Also on dismantle if any of these rollers are dropped on the floor they can crack. The roller joint uses 90 Grams of VW Part Number G052186A2 a lithium based grease, not the same as the CV joint Grey grease. VW T6 DSG CV Joint (wheel end) attached.

On most cars when removing a driveshaft from the gearbox you will loose an amount oil from the gearbox which will need to be topped up.

On the VW T6 DSG 7 Speed Gearbox from what I have researched it has a dry clutch. This is looking at a VW DSG 7 Speed Gearbox on a '15 Plate' VW Tiguan.
Whereas on a VW DSG 6 Speed Gearbox it has a wet clutch. The DSG 6 Speed Gearbox is on my Passat Alltrack.
No oil comes out .... just rust ...
7speed dsg is wet clutch, operated by the mechatronic unit, it's behind a sealed cover that seals around the input shaft and casing, no oil should be leaking or dribbling from your dsg box, you got issues if so. Look at what was left when I pulled my driveshaft out ..... rust .... german rust ...... ze germans got in there ...

Back