2019 T6 R32 dsg reverse with trailer

Keskarst1

Hi everyone.
I bought a T6 New and recently i have noticed that it does not like reversing with a trailer... At all..

When reversing up a small hill with trailer it will cut power after a little while and you have to wait.
First i noticed this when pushing a 1800kg trailer up-hill, frustrating enough.
Next time with Approx 900 kg up a very small slope for about 10 meters. Totally not ok.

After complaining at the local dealership and a test drive with 1800kg trailer they found that the clutches quicly overheat and disconnects when reversing uphill (Clutches 180degrees celsius when disconnecting drive) .
Clutches cools down Quite fast again since oil is only 90 degrees.

The prelimenary answer is that tires are too large causing the problem (6% more than stock, up to 5% is allowed)

I find this unlogical since the car is approved for 2500kg towing Weight and there is no problem in 1st gear up-hill.

The car will now be tested again with 225/65-17 tires and 2500kg trailer behind.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Or anoyne knows the gear ratio for reverse and 1st gear?

Kenneth

The issue that I find is that if you are not completely smooth, or ease off to adjust the angle of the outfit, then accelerate again to get some momentum, the hitch coupling compresses and puts the trailers brakes on. With a lighter trailer, it doesn't need as much of a 'shove' to get it moving, so the issue doesn't occur.

Glad someone else has posted this, I thought it was just me! I realised that the reverse gear was quite high, but was surprised when the van "stalled" twice as I was reversing the caravan up our drive. My E-Pace flirts it up there, and the van tows it forwards without a problem. At least now I know what to watch out for.
Cheers
Mark

Glad someone else has posted this, I thought it was just me! I realised that the reverse gear was quite high, but was surprised when the van "stalled" twice as I was reversing the caravan up our drive. My E-Pace flirts it up there, and the van tows it forwards without a problem. At least now I know what to watch out for.
Cheers
Mark
I have just experienced a similar issue reversing an unloaded 6X4 box trailer uphill. It would go up without an issue with standard tyres but with Desert Duellers the overheating warning comes on on the dash. What a pity this is as the DD’s have been excellent in the rough.

Back