DSG gear box problems

Update to the original thread;
There is indeed an ECU update. Mine has just been updated by Vw and only driven back from garage, but 1st gear take off delay has reduced and gear selection seems better.
brake also holding better on a hill and only tinny rollback.
What was the service action code for this (should be on the paperwork)

@BognorMotors Oli, I know I can just text you about this, but it might be relevant on the open forum for future reference.

I've noticed that my DSG isn't as slick as it was. The DSG was serviced a few months ago, but as you know, my 204 has been mapped and I'm wondering if the box now needs doing, or if at 85k, remapped and driven hard at times, the clutches are getting to a point where they need replacing. It seems a little snachy when it's hot and often of late, it pulls off from standstill with quite a clunk/jerk. Driven normally and its fine, but driven hard it can get a little less refined.
Owning this since 0 miles, I know it doesn't feel as tight as it used to, but I don't know if that's wear and tear on the clutches or the fact the box now needs mapping to match the much higher power since the engine map.

@BognorMotors Oli, I know I can just text you about this, but it might be relevant on the open forum for future reference.

I've noticed that my DSG isn't as slick as it was. The DSG was serviced a few months ago, but as you know, my 204 has been mapped and I'm wondering if the box now needs doing, or if at 85k, remapped and driven hard at times, the clutches are getting to a point where they need replacing. It seems a little snachy when it's hot and often of late, it pulls off from standstill with quite a clunk/jerk. Driven normally and its fine, but driven hard it can get a little less refined.
Owning this since 0 miles, I know it doesn't feel as tight as it used to, but I don't know if that's wear and tear on the clutches or the fact the box now needs mapping to match the much higher power since the engine map.
A bit cheeky but any chance you could grab a VCDS data package from the DSG as it is now before doing any mods please.

I'm wishful that some day in the future we could predict/see from data e.g. how worn the clutches are. In the data there seems to be quite a bunch of adapted gear and clutch position values. I have been collecting data but at the moment all samples are from low mileage boxes, so would appreciate a data package from a more mature one.

How-to:

Engine on tickover 800 rpm. Preferably DSG warmed up.

VCDS --> Applications --> Controller Channel Map -->

DSG-map.png
Tick/fill boxes as above and hit Go

VCDS Flashes screens for a moment, when finished hit "Done, Go Back", in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\.... there will be a file named something like:
blockmap-02-0BT-xxxxxxx....CSV

Just strip off last 5 digits of the VIN in file name and attach the file here.

A bit cheeky but any chance you could grab a VCDS data package from the DSG as it is now before doing any mods please.

I'm wishful that some day in the future we could predict/see from data e.g. how worn the clutches are. In the data there seems to be quite a bunch of adapted gear and clutch position values. I have been collecting data but at the moment all samples are from low mileage boxes, so would appreciate a data package from a more mature one.

How-to:

Engine on tickover 800 rpm. Preferably DSG warmed up.

VCDS --> Applications --> Controller Channel Map -->

View attachment 84108
Tick/fill boxes as above and hit Go

VCDS Flashes screens for a moment, when finished hit "Done, Go Back", in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\.... there will be a file named something like:
blockmap-02-0BT-xxxxxxx....CSV

Just strip off last 5 digits of the VIN in file name and attach the file here.

My Dsg is at around 37000 miles, is that any good to you? Happy to scan and send a file if it helps.

Reactions: mmi
Hello sir

85,000 isn’t a high mileage for a VW.

In the first instance I would carry out a reset of the adaptions, if it’s not already been done. This can quite often sort all the little issues you are describing. This is done if you decided to update the gearbox software with TVS anyway.

However, the TVS Software itself will transform the gearbox and how the vehicle drives , and especially someone like yourself who has done many miles in the vehicle, will really see the differences, and benefit from them.

My Dsg is at around 37000 miles, is that any good to you? Happy to scan and send a file if it helps.
Yes please. Definitely will be useful as there will always be some variations between drivers. Thank you very much.

Hello sir

85,000 isn’t a high mileage for a VW.

In the first instance I would carry out a reset of the adaptions, if it’s not already been done. This can quite often sort all the little issues you are describing. This is done if you decided to update the gearbox software with TVS anyway.

However, the TVS Software itself will transform the gearbox and how the vehicle drives , and especially someone like yourself who has done many miles in the vehicle, will really see the differences, and benefit from them.

When did you say the Bognor BBQ was taking place again.... :whistle:

As much as I love seeing you Oli and drinking your coffee, I need an excuse to drive to the south coast, as beautiful as it is down there.
(although my wife does have a certain love for Tinwood wines)

We had the plans for earlier in the year until Covid19! It’s still in the back burner, but we are investing at present and would live to show off some new toys when we do.

Tinwood and BM should be a draw enough :)

Hope I've done this right , let me know if not.

Attachments

• blockmap-02-0BT-300-012-C_WV1ZZZ7HZJHxxxxx-20200906xxxx.CSV
    39 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: mmi
Hello everybody, I am from Spain and my T6 is a California 204 cv TDI 4motion with DSG. I have had the same problem with my van since the first day two years ago. If I have to reverse in a slope (tiny or not), I have to increase revs too much because the van doesn’t move, and then suddenly the van starts to move too fast, it is something uncontrollable and dangerous.

I have tried to solve this problem many times, first I went to my VW dealer, but the answer was always the same, "the van is OK, this is normal, there is no faults". Then I started to read in internet and found many people who had the same problem with their van. So, I spoke with TVS Engineering and later with a dealer of TVS in Spain, and remapped my DSG with its software (TVS Drivability Upgrade). This changed the way the DSG works but hasn’t solve the reversing problem completely, I think this software improve the DSG but not enough.
After this disappoint with TVS, I try to solve the problem remapping the ECU. So I spoke with two different companies and remapped the ECU two times. They were custom remaps, but result was more or less the same (no completely the same, because with the second one the consumption decreased 1 liter/100 km).

And finally I tried the REVO stage 1, and the result was more or less the same, this remap increases the torque when the revs are 2000. For example if you are in the motorway and want to overtake another car, now the van has more power and make it very smooth, but when I have to park using reverse in a slope, or overcome a curb, It is still a nightmare.

So my final conclusion is that, both the DSG remap with TVS, and the ECU remap with a custom remap or with the REVO Stage, make the drivability of the van better but not in the way we want, so if you want a faster van or a van that change gears in a clever way you can remap DSG or ECU, but remember that when you try to park using reverse in a slope or overcoming a curb, it is going be the same as always.

Hello everybody, I am from Spain and my T6 is a California 204 cv TDI 4motion with DSG. I have had the same problem with my van since the first day two years ago. If I have to reverse in a slope (tiny or not), I have to increase revs too much because the van doesn’t move, and then suddenly the van starts to move too fast, it is something uncontrollable and dangerous.

I have tried to solve this problem many times, first I went to my VW dealer, but the answer was always the same, "the van is OK, this is normal, there is no faults". Then I started to read in internet and found many people who had the same problem with their van. So, I spoke with TVS Engineering and later with a dealer of TVS in Spain, and remapped my DSG with its software (TVS Drivability Upgrade). This changed the way the DSG works but hasn’t solve the reversing problem completely, I think this software improve the DSG but not enough.
After this disappoint with TVS, I try to solve the problem remapping the ECU. So I spoke with two different companies and remapped the ECU two times. They were custom remaps, but result was more or less the same (no completely the same, because with the second one the consumption decreased 1 liter/100 km).

And finally I tried the REVO stage 1, and the result was more or less the same, this remap increases the torque when the revs are 2000. For example if you are in the motorway and want to overtake another car, now the van has more power and make it very smooth, but when I have to park using reverse in a slope, or overcome a curb, It is still a nightmare.

So my final conclusion is that, both the DSG remap with TVS, and the ECU remap with a custom remap or with the REVO Stage, make the drivability of the van better but not in the way we want, so if you want a faster van or a van that change gears in a clever way you can remap DSG or ECU, but remember that when you try to park using reverse in a slope or overcoming a curb, it is going be the same as always.
That's really useful, thank you so much for this. My Caravelle does exactly as you describe with kerbs and slopes, so I'll try and remember to check this when it gets remapped on Monday.

Back