18” wheels: 40mm or 50mm springs?

DM8

Evening all, been reading up and reading a lot of posts about the 50mm springs being very firm, especially over potholes. Given I live in Scotland where potholes seem to be every 50m, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of both or knows whether the 40mm springs are significantly softer on potholes.
I have a T30 SWB Kombi on standard wheels which I already feel to be quite hard on the bumps and potholes.

Evening all, been reading up and reading a lot of posts about the 50mm springs being very firm, especially over potholes. Given I live in Scotland where potholes seem to be every 50m, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of both or knows whether the 40mm springs are significantly softer on potholes.
I have a T30 SWB Kombi on standard wheels which I already feel to be quite hard on the bumps and potholes.

We come up to Scotland several times a year on business, and it was only a few weeks ago I commented on how bad your roads are.
I run a T32 currently on 30mm springs, and 19" wheels, and I found it pretty extreme driving up there compared to down here in England, and that's saying something.
If you are already struggling with comfort on standard wheels and shocks, this won't be any better lowered on any of the current springs available.
I can only comment on the 30mm springs and they are not nice to hit potholes with, but i'm moving to B14s shortly, and I understand they are slightly more comfortable, but you will pay a lot of money going the B14 route compared to just upgrading your springs.

Only experience of 40mm... but I'd choose 40mm after running them on a T5 for the past 4 years...great comprimise of cost, handling and looks. I live in Scotland too. 40mm are ready for the new T6 arriving tomorrow. I'm in a T32 Kombi LWB.

Also using -40mm H&R - haldes much better and the response is good! It was quite qierd to access the rear hatch after the change as it seemed sooooooo low :)
Previously had factory -20mm on the van(Multivan Highline style)

Thanks for the feedback. I fitted the H&R 40mm springs. Much less body roll in corners and handles bigger bumps fine …. but … the handling is awful on a 'washboard' type surface, to the point the steering wheel is vibrating. Doesn't seem right.
Also, I didn't take any measurements before or after, but the front is lower than the rear. Before I go and get the original springs re-fitted does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I fitted the H&R 40mm springs. Much less body roll in corners and handles bigger bumps fine …. but … the handling is awful on a 'washboard' type surface, to the point the steering wheel is vibrating. Doesn't seem right.
Also, I didn't take any measurements before or after, but the front is lower than the rear. Before I go and get the original springs re-fitted does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Coilovers are the only way I did the same thing and wasted money on springs. I was very surprised on how good coilovers feel so much more planted a little harder but progressive.

OK , OK, I must hold up my hand and say I cheated ! I lowered my LWB 4Motion with 40mm H&R springs but I put the correct front springs for a T32 on but on the rear I put T28/30 rear springs ! this allows the van to sit perfectly level and looks spot on . It runs on 20" x 9"s with 265/40 tyres and yes it is firmer than standard , but handles far better and only cost a few hundred pounds to do.
At the end of the day compromises have to be made, but i'm happy with it.IMG_8449.JPG

Does any have the part number for the 50mm h&r cant find it anywhere on line can only find 40's

Hi, i'm buying some H&R lowered springs to go with 18" alloys fitted to a T28. What lowering height suits best 40 or 50mm drop?

Hi, i'm buying some H&R lowered springs to go with 18" alloys fitted to a T28. What lowering height suits best 40 or 50mm drop?
Sadly it isnt as simple as reading the axle weights . The vans are so different and there are 8 different models of spring

Back