Just springs

Moodz

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All, I am considering lowering my van 50mm using a set of H&R springs and keeping everything else as is on my T32.
Can anyone who has done this tell me whether there is any noticeable difference in the ride with regard to bumps/potholes?
Any bangs or booms etc?
Any experiences welcome. There are videos of how to do it etc online but no one really comments what the ride is like after or they would do it differently next time.

Have I been sent to Coventry or has no one else lowered their van themselves using just springs?

Yes it will improve the handling a tad, and takes away the "jiggling about" you get with a T32, but the ride will be harsh, and I mean harsh. You are compressing T32 rated shocks and thats just not how they are designed to work. Unfortunately if you want to improve the ride and handling, you have to go the whole hog. I lowered mine by 40mm and have regretted ever since not changing the shocks as well, which I will be doing if and when my new T6.1 arrives.

I recently lowered my T32 on a set of 50mm H&R springs and I love it. I’ve never lowered anything before and was a bit concerned given my van is my only vehicle and daily driver but it’s great. I live and work slightly out of town and country roads are no bother, I've also done some 4hr motorway journeys which are equally as good

Thanks for the reply Matt. Are potholes or speed bumps a concern or no noticeable difference and what sort of weight do you have in the van? I intend to keep my Devonports on as well. Cheers

I had the Devonports on for a week then put my 19” Amarok Cantera’s on. The ride is great with both, I have speed bumps around where I live but it’s a 20mph limit so they aren’t an issue, there is a noticeably more ‘planted’ feel when you drive over them. Pot holes I always tried to avoid before and do the same now, you defiantly know when you’ve hit one but to be honest you’re not faulting through pot holes every journey. It’s only lowered 50mm, it’s not in the territory of ripping splitters off etc. The weight I carry varies, it’s a Panel Van that I’m currently putting a set of Kombi Seats in. Last week I had my Trackbike, Gazebo, Generator and all the other kit in for a Trackday at Croft (about 2 hours away) which was fine, i’ve had it loaded up with Building Materials, I’ve towed a 2t Digger and my 7.2m Caravan, all no bother. It’s fine when it’s empty too (which it usually is)

Thanks Matt for all the info that's just what I needed. I like the look of the Cantera's as well. I have a Rib bed and furniture in mine and no pop top (self converted) and its just my wife and I so we don't bother with awnings and all the other additional stuff that many people carry around with them so its fairly light really. It is surprising the different opinion between with yours and Scruffy's because he reckons the shocks should be changed as well in which case you might as well spend £1100 on a set of B14's. Still cannot make my mind up what to do.

Am i the only one out there that has and is having issues with the rear coil top mounts on my T6 t28 camper conversion. Basically i had the suspension changed to koni shocks and h&r springs, this lowered it by 40mm. all work was done at CRS. Right from the off i noticed a knock from the back, after giving it a good dose of looking at i discovered the spring had become unseated from the top mount. I have since reseated them 4 or 5 times over the last year. Last week i changed the top mounts to brand new oem ones. The knocking stopped again......, until yesterday! The issue is, the h&r spring looks to be thicker than the standard springs, this means they dont seat properly in the groove and the 3 rubber tabs dont hold the spring in position, well not for long anyway. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so is there a fix?

Hi Dave, Probably best to speak to the guy from CRS as he fitted them and seems to very knowledgeable about suspension issues.

Yea, i have talked to Steve at CRS before about this issue, he had this issue once before where the spring kept unseating, he said he would have a look, but i can't see what he could do different to what I've done. Its quite a trek down there, i'm quite handy and my thoughts were if i can do it myself i would thanks anyway

I had the Devonports on for a week then put my 19” Amarok Cantera’s on. The ride is great with both, I have speed bumps around where I live but it’s a 20mph limit so they aren’t an issue, there is a noticeably more ‘planted’ feel when you drive over them. Pot holes I always tried to avoid before and do the same now, you defiantly know when you’ve hit one but to be honest you’re not faulting through pot holes every journey. It’s only lowered 50mm, it’s not in the territory of ripping splitters off etc. The weight I carry varies, it’s a Panel Van that I’m currently putting a set of Kombi Seats in. Last week I had my Trackbike, Gazebo, Generator and all the other kit in for a Trackday at Croft (about 2 hours away) which was fine, i’ve had it loaded up with Building Materials, I’ve towed a 2t Digger and my 7.2m Caravan, all no bother. It’s fine when it’s empty too (which it usually is)
Have you got any pictures? I have a T32 too and just want to close the gap a bit. Don't want to spend hundreds on coilovers if it's not really needed.

Have you got any pictures? I have a T32 too and just want to close the gap a bit. Don't want to spend hundreds on coilovers if it's not really needed.
Sadly to get a good result you need to spend hundreds on Shocks . You will get mixed responses from Van owners who fit springs only but the harsh reality is that the decrease in suspension travel and the increased unsprung weight of bigger wheels and tyres plays havoc with a Standard shock .
Fitting springs is cheap and cheerful But if you are not happy after its easy to add the sports shocks later when funds allow . You dont need to shell out for coil overs as most after market suspension people will tell you.

I recently lowered my T32 on a set of 50mm H&R springs and I love it. I’ve never lowered anything before and was a bit concerned given my van is my only vehicle and daily driver but it’s great. I live and work slightly out of town and country roads are no bother, I've also done some 4hr motorway journeys which are equally as good
Can I ask which H&R springs you went for with the T32? I plan to do the same and then upgrade the shocks in due course. Currently on OEM shocks and springs but looks horrible and high. Will be running with 20" supermetals.

Can I ask which H&R springs you went for with the T32? I plan to do the same and then upgrade the shocks in due course. Currently on OEM shocks and springs but looks horrible and high. Will be running with 20" supermetals.
Try to avoid 50 mm springs , wrongly applied will give a drop of 60 to 70 mm and standard suspension simply cant cope at that height , the ride will be aweful
steve

My t32 kombi came with 40mm H&R springs and oem Sportline 18 inch alloys from the dealer. The springs on the back knocked like hell with the slightest weight in the back and didn’t sit level (nose down). I put 40mm eibachs from chilli jam vans on about a week or two after buying it and never looked back.

Back