102 With A Full Conversion .. Advice Please.

MatT6

T6 Pro
Hi all. Possibly selling my GTD estate to enter the camper world and although I really wanted a 150 I just cannot afford it. I’ve found a dream spec 2018 102 (dream spec apart from the 102!) but I’m scared I will instantly hate the 5 speed?

Coming from a DSG 184 GTD isn’t going to help matters at all but I’ve not really got a choice at the moment and I can’t fork out ££££ just for one more gear.

So please, talk me in or out of buying it

Ps I’ll be using it for a daily commute of 45 miles total (mostly A road) and also the odd weekend away, Wales, Scotland etc.

Cheers all and sorry if this is a boring, common thread subject! I’ve read mixed reviews so far.

Someone will be along soon with advice on chipping the 102 but personally I think the 6 speed or DSG is more important than the 2018MY so my advice would be buy a year older and get the engine you want, with some of the cash saved buy a T6 XXX registration for £250 direct from DVLA and who cares what year it is

Someone will be along soon with advice on chipping the 102 but personally I think the 6 speed or DSG is more important than the 2018MY so my advice would be buy a year older and get the engine you want, with some of the cash saved buy a T6 XXX registration for £250 direct from DVLA and who cares what year it is
I agree with this.

I have a 102 with Revo remap, it drives better than the 150 6 speed VW lent me, remap and b14's and you will enjoy driving it. Without the remap and the B14's not so much then I'd go for a 150 and map that with B14's :)

Thanks all :)

I know a remap is an obvious solution but it was the lack of 6th that I was worried about.

I have replied to your direct message, but I didn’t realise it would be for commuting too.
You have to do a proper test drive in one.

Pete

I have a 102 5 speed and it's absolutely fine BUT, it's not my daily drive. After a weekend in the van I often forget about 6th in the other cars so that shows its easy to drive and you get used to it quickly, but as a daily, I think I'd struggle for a while, but would eventually get used to it. As the guys say above, Remap, b14 and ARB and it'll be fine. Think about the weekends away. And don't forget the additional weight of the conversion. Test drive.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

What a nice welcome and great info, thanks all :)

The van has already got 20” and stance+ coils.

I think the future plan would be to buy a small car, golf tdi, to do the work commute but I’m going to see how I go in the van.

Welcome to the forum.

Just to throw my tuppence in, I've got a fully converted 102 and I'm delighted with it.

It's not my daily but I wouldn't mind if it was. It's got plenty enough power to get up the hills and I don't find myself having to change down too much to get up them. The gearing of the 5-speed box seems fine on the standard 16" wheels however, now that I've had it lowered and stuck a set of 18" alloys it does feel like it needs a little more torque now, but the remap (next on my list) should deal with that adequately enough.

A mentioned above, always reinforce your decision with a comprehensive road test. It's the only way you'll know for sure whether the van is up to your expectations.

Mine is the first 5 speed I've had in a long time. My van before this was a 6 speed semi auto and TBH I think it would be "nicer" with a 6 speed box, but; it has enough power and pulls cleanly from top gear from a relatively low speed- it's a relaxing drive (for a van). Ours is a daily driver, but as a second car.

You've got to travel to get the best examples. I travelled from Sandhurst to Harlow to look at the van in question. Then I had to go back to pick it up. Then up to Hull for the conversion. Then down to Bognor for the suspension and I'll likely be heading back down there for the remap.

As @Sabre says, it's always a nice drive home.

Oh trust me I am no stranger to travelling. I have been a VW owner for over 20 years and I have travelled all over to buy my dubs. I travelled 6 hours on a train to buy my latest GTD. It's just a pain because I wouldn't travel 250 miles just to test drive it i'd be going to buy it.

It's just a pain because I wouldn't travel 250 miles just to test drive it i'd be going to buy it.

There's your commitment point. Let us know when you're leaving! :)
You know you want it...

Haha

What are our thoughts on the 180 bi tdi? namely 2016 model. There's a fellow on here selling his. Tempting but unsure about the engine (not heard many reviews).

Well I have just bought one! A 2016 4Motion 6 speed. Not had it long but am very pleased with it, pulls like a train or at least in comparison to my 1.6TDi Passat Estate it does!
If it is a 2016 180 I think it will be the last of the EU5 engines which is the same as mine. I am happy not to have to bother about AdBlu, makes life simpler but the downside is slightly less power than the EU6 204 and slightly worse economy (offset by having to buy AdBlu).
The power I am not bothered about, the economy would be nice but unless I have to drive into one of the new stringent emission control zones in the future I can live with it.
I am getting about 35mpg average (calculated on receipts) in mixed commuting about 25 miles a day. You would be slightly better if you have a longer smoother commute I guess.
If its a Kombi with sliding windows check it for leaks, pretty easy to get replaced on VW warranty if you have it, not the end of the world otherwise unless it's not been noticed and has wrecked behind conversion furniture for example.

On the engine front I believe the earlier versions of this engine had a problem with corroding intercoolers that sent aluminum oxide into the engine air system and wrecked the engines big time. A 2016 should be OK and I was advised by VW that this was the case.
Others on here may know more about that.
The other thing I learned is that the standard H4 headlights are pretty crap but its midsummer in Scotland so its not actually going to get dark for another three months by which time I hope to have H7's.
When I did my research I found you could get a Warranty Direct policy for three years pretty cheap, might be worth it if you get a private sale, I think the engines are pretty expensive to fix.

I am really enjoying mine, it will be a camper when it grows up:)

Reactions: DXX
Awesome thanks for the input :)

The other option aside from the T6 is to put some nice concave 19" wheels on my GTD and some coilovers :eek:

Oh and then buy a caravan :whistle: haha.

Back