Day van or full camper?

If you wanna PM me I can email you the spec sheet so you get an idea of prices, although it was in 2020 so everything bound to be a bit more pricey now

Just to chip on the baby front…

We’ve taken our now 6 month old on holiday in the campervan a few times since he was 3 months and he loves it! Sleeps better than at home due to black out blinds and plenty to keep him entertained during the day. Have tried to pitch away from others just in case of meltdown, but so far so good!

We take plenty of bottles and cold sterilise them in a 5 litre container, boil water up quite regularly and put in flasks for his formula. Not quite as easy as microwave sterilise and perfect prep machine at home, but it works!

Just to chip on the baby front…

We’ve taken our now 6 month old on holiday in the campervan a few times since he was 3 months and he loves it! Sleeps better than at home due to black out blinds and plenty to keep him entertained during the day. Have tried to pitch away from others just in case of meltdown, but so far so good!

We take plenty of bottles and cold sterilise them in a 5 litre container, boil water up quite regularly and put in flasks for his formula. Not quite as easy as microwave sterilise and perfect prep machine at home, but it works!
All the fresh air will help as does that the baby can hear his parents sleeping nearby!

Nearly every camper out there is the basic 110hp low trim model.

Buying a van and getting a company to do a custom conversion does sound Very appealing, but doesn't that go from spending 40-45k to £60+?

I think when we're talking about numbers this big I'd put the focus on value rather than price. £45k is a lot to drop on something that you ultimately find isn't quite suitable for your needs once you get out in it. That's why hiring one first is also a great idea as you'll quickly get a feel on things like storage, how much space you need, whether a 3/4 bed works for you or if you need something wider, who sleeps where to make life easier with the baby etc. etc.

My own process has led me to going for the best spec van I can afford on the basis that you can change the interior but you can't change the base van without replacing it! T30, front and rear parking sensors, reverse cam, adaptive cruise control, DSG are all things I wouldn't want to be without personally and I couldn't find a used van with all that kit for less than I'd pay for a new one (accepting I'll have a lengthy wait for it). I plan on keeping mine for many years as the kids grow up and I know three years down the road I'll be happier having a van with that kit on it than I would be with a 110PS, so am happy to spend a bit more.

Maybe make a shortlist of what's important to you from a base van spec perspective and then look for a used one and compare it. Again, hiring one may also help to work out what you do and don't need (a T28 with a 110PS would be an excellent hire so you can see what you think of the engine performance).

Oh and at the end of the day, the best value for you could well end up being spending 45k on a pre-converted one, I am not saying you have to spend more and go totally custom to be happy with your purchase. It's just about making sure you get value out of whatever you end up spending :)

Last edited:
I think when we're talking about numbers this big I'd put the focus on value rather than price. £45k is a lot to drop on something that you ultimately find isn't quite suitable for your needs once you get out in it. That's why hiring one first is also a great idea as you'll quickly get a feel on things like storage, how much space you need, whether a 3/4 bed works for you or if you need something wider, who sleeps where to make life easier with the baby etc. etc.

My own process has led me to going for the best spec van I can afford on the basis that you can change the interior but you can't change the base van without replacing it! T30, front and rear parking sensors, reverse cam, adaptive cruise control, DSG are all things I wouldn't want to be without personally and I couldn't find a used van with all that kit for less than I'd pay for a new one (accepting I'll have a lengthy wait for it). I plan on keeping mine for many years as the kids grow up and I know three years down the road I'll be happier having a van with that kit on it than I would be with a 110PS, so am happy to spend a bit more.

Maybe make a shortlist of what's important to you from a base van spec perspective and then look for a used one and compare it. Again, hiring one may also help to work out what you do and don't need (a T28 with a 110PS would be an excellent hire so you can see what you think of the engine performance).

Oh and at the end of the day, the best value for you could well end up being spending 45k on a pre-converted one, I am not saying you have to spend more and go totally custom to be happy with your purchase. It's just about making sure you get value out of whatever you end up spending :)
Brilliant advice, seconded

We're still researching for our first camper and trying to workout exactly what we need before contacting a company (although I'm going to look at some camperking vans tomorrow because they're local and for some ideas).

The van would be our daily drive/only car. We don't need a car to commute.

We're going T6.1 T30 over T28 (although I still think a T28 would be ok?), 150bhp DSG Highline, pop-top roof with bed and ISOfix seats (RIB)?.

Our plan is to basically finish on a Friday and disappear for a couple days to a remote campsite to get out the city, we'd be going for power/ablutions site for a few years as we have a young toddler.

We can't workout if it's worth going for a full conversion or a day van style. This is the sort of day van we've looked at, although we would probably add a bigger fridge and tap for some running water (can still clean stuff with cold water)!

My biggest concern is how much extra weight a full conversion would add, I know it's only really a shelving unit that it adds, but constantly having that extra weight in the van when nipping to supermarket/taking dog to park/visiting family etc soon adds up on costs and driveability. Does it actually add enough weight to even matter?

Would having the extra stuff a full conversion adds (storage cupboards and little hob etc) really provide much of a bonus for our requirements?

Last edited:
I originally bought mine as a kombi, which I turned into a day van - as it was my main vehicle , and my partners was hers (we lived apart and at our parents houses) now we live together in our own house - the van lives in the garage, and only comes out at weekends for trips away, as Ellie’s skoda karoq does everything we need during the week.

we are now converting it into a full camper - dog friendly (another reason for going full camper, as a day van with a 40kg dog just doesn’t sit right with me being OCD. So he will have a custom built lintran cage in the rear for travel and bed) check my page out for any inspiration, can’t recommend a slidepod enough as a day van! Specially if you’ve got a poptop ! Still wish we had our slidepod for this summer with the poptop we’ve just added - but it helped pay for the poptop, then this winter hopefully sliding rail iso fix seat/bed when the dog isn’t with us, and the usual sink/hob/storage.

I fully converted a swb window van which got written off last November …. This time I’ve taken a lwb caravelle into a day van … can carry the kitchen/bed and still have 8 seats during the week

I originally bought mine as a kombi, which I turned into a day van - as it was my main vehicle , and my partners was hers (we lived apart and at our parents houses) now we live together in our own house - the van lives in the garage, and only comes out at weekends for trips away, as Ellie’s skoda karoq does everything we need during the week.

we are now converting it into a full camper - dog friendly (another reason for going full camper, as a day van with a 40kg dog just doesn’t sit right with me being OCD. So he will have a custom built lintran cage in the rear for travel and bed) check my page out for any inspiration, can’t recommend a slidepod enough as a day van! Specially if you’ve got a poptop ! Still wish we had our slidepod for this summer with the poptop we’ve just added - but it helped pay for the poptop, then this winter hopefully sliding rail iso fix seat/bed when the dog isn’t with us, and the usual sink/hob/storage.

For a slidepod do you mean the little kitchen unit that sides out the back doors? Do you have some kind of tent or cover for when using it?

For a slidepod do you mean the little kitchen unit that sides out the back doors? Do you have some kind of tent or cover for when using it?
If youve got a tailgate ,youre fine - or if youve got barn doors - stitches and steels do a great barn door awning cover - we only ever got caught out once in 2 years of ownership, but the tailgate saved us - cooked for 3 families in the pouring rain. I mean, who goes camping knowing theres bad weather all weekend?!

Do you need more than 5 seats? ... that is the main question you need to answer IMO. If you do then your only option is a day-van.

You say you will be going away at weekends with a toddler.

Do you intend to go camping only when it is sunny and you can effectively live outside the van? Yes - day-van, no - camper conversion.

Are you happy carrying your cooker, fridge, washing-up stuff and anything else you need with you at weekends? - which means loading and unloading the van before and after every camping trip - Yes - day-van, no - camper conversion.

Just my 10 cents.

We have a California Ocean which sits on the drive with everything in it ready to go (bedding, cooker, fridge, sink, pots, pans, plates, cups, glasses etc. etc.). It only has 4 seats, we only need 2, and when we decide to go, all we need to do is visit a supermarket on the way to wherever we are going.

We also use it as a daily drive during the week as our other car, a BMW X3M Competition is a beast that is loud and harsh, not to mention expensive on fuel, so when we want to chill, we use the Cali.

Reactions: Ozi
Do you need more than 5 seats? ... that is the main question you need to answer IMO. If you do then your only option is a day-van.

You say you will be going away at weekends with a toddler.

Do you intend to go camping only when it is sunny and you can effectively live outside the van? Yes - day-van, no - camper conversion.

Are you happy carrying your cooker, fridge, washing-up stuff and anything else you need with you at weekends? - which means loading and unloading the van before and after every camping trip - Yes - day-van, no - camper conversion.

Just my 10 cents.

We have a California Ocean which sits on the drive with everything in it ready to go (bedding, cooker, fridge, sink, pots, pans, plates, cups, glasses etc. etc.). It only has 4 seats, we only need 2, and when we decide to go, all we need to do is visit a supermarket on the way to wherever we are going.

We also use it as a daily drive during the week as our other car, a BMW X3M Competition is a beast that is loud and harsh, not to mention expensive on fuel, so when we want to chill, we use the Cali.
We 100% need 4 seats, 5 seats would be nice but not something I would stress about. We so rarely have 5 people in our car, infact the first time was today when I took me/wife/baby/in-laws to the park for a walk! They could have just as easily followed us in a car.

It will be used in the cooler spring/autumn weather hopefully! Although if we know it's going to be horrific rain then obviously not, light rain/drizzle then probably!

How much extra weight does a conversation actually add? Can't be more than 90kg which is basically just a person.

Last edited:
If youve got a tailgate ,youre fine - or if youve got barn doors - stitches and steels do a great barn door awning cover - we only ever got caught out once in 2 years of ownership, but the tailgate saved us - cooked for 3 families in the pouring rain. I mean, who goes camping knowing theres bad weather all weekend?!
Did the sideways rain not get you haha!

We 100% need 4 seats, 5 seats would be nice but not something I would stress about. We so rarely have 5 people in our car, infact the first time was today when I took me/wife/baby/in-laws to the park for a walk! They could have just as easily followed us in a car.

It will be used in the cooler spring/autumn weather hopefully! Although if we know it's going to be horrific rain then obviously not, light rain/drizzle then probably!

How much extra weight does a conversation actually add? Can't be more than 90kg which is basically just a person.
I don't know how much weight the conversion would add, it really depends on the conversion so best to ask the conversion company.

My T6.1 22MY California Ocean 4Motion is registered as having an unladen weight of 2607 kg for comparison.

Transporters start at a curb weight of 1781 kg Volkswagen Transporter T6.1

Last edited:
I suppose it depends how much hot air is involved….however moving on

A couple of things to note:-

1, if you’re starting out with a panel van, and think that a conversion will only add 90kg, you’re in for a shock. Probably closer to 300-400kg by the time you’ve added sound deadening, insulation, flooring, poptop, bed/seat, water, gas, leisure battery, furniture. Yada yada yada…

2, you’re overthinking the weight/drive ability issue. It’s a van, it’s raison d’etre is to carry weight. An empty, light van is horrible to drive, they drive better with some weight in’em.

3, day van or camper. 2 completely different beasts, a day van will allow you to sleep in it, but it’s not a camper. A camper can carry 6 people at a push, but it’s not a day van. Decide which you need & go from there.

Ps, search the forum for Camper King

Last edited:

How much extra weight depends on how far you go with the conversion and the type of materials used.

As an reference point for you, my base van was a 6.1 Highline SWB PV, which VW says comes in at 1969kg. After a full conversion, including pop top roof, windows, kitchen units, sink, hob, bed/seat, full tank of fuel (80 ltrs), underslung gas tank, diesel heater, insulation, flooring etc, mine comes it at 2390kg

Get yourself up to the Motorhome and Caravan Show in October and go and look around some van layouts and chat to some of the converters that are exhibiting. Got to be worth a day of your time!

Get yourself up to the Motorhome and Caravan Show in October and go and look around some van layouts and chat to some of the converters that are exhibiting. Got to be worth a day of your time!

That's not a bad idea tbh, I'll speak to the Mrs and see if she's interested

Back