Would you buy this van? Advice for a newbie.

Adbo

VIP Member
Appreciate your thoughts on this van...

It's an ex-hire, but due to lock-down it's hardly done any miles and used very little.

I intend to tow a small track car with it and will be lugging a lot of stuff in the back, so the sliding rear seats are a massive bonus. Just a shame it's not an auto, but guess it would be a lot more dosh if it was.

As it’s a ex hire van I think it would be good to see it in the flesh to judge the wear and tear on the interior. It that possible at the moment in Scotland?

Reactions: JOG
As it’s a ex hire van I think it would be good to see it in the flesh to judge the wear and tear on the interior. It that possible at the moment in Scotland?
When it comes to that sort of money, I like to have a good look round!

It thought it looked like a LWB, but being a newbie I just took it as a SWB as the advert said.

It's going to be my daily driver, so in my head I preferred a SWB.

Our preferred option was a SWB but now we have it and everyone insists LWB’s are easy to use daily I regret not having the extra space a bit

So apart from ensuring we have a good check about and it looking like it's a LWB, anything else I should consider?
Thanks!

We have rented vans for 15+ years.

With the limited use of a camper we often find these are better looked after than a privately owned vehicle, that end up doing school runs, shopping trips etc.

On our VW California’s the renters pay a £1000 deposit so you’ll find they look after them very well. Often the journeys are longer so less stop start and cold starts.

Of course I would recommend you physically go and look at the vehicle and get a feel for it. I certainly would discount a rental vehicle.

HTH

It's definitely LWB, but don't let that put you off it's only a loaf of bread longer than a SWB. My van is purely for work so can't speak with any real authority when it comes to campers, but unless you really need/want One Now I think current prices are artificially high and there's surely got to be some better deals to be had in the coming month as some who bought on a whim decide that van life isn't their thing after all.

You could order a new California coast for a bit over 50k. Pluses: good resale, SWB, DSG and 3 year warranty. Minuses: long lead time, price.

Last edited:
It's definitely LWB, but don't let that put you off it's only a loaf of bread longer than a SWB. My van is purely for work so can't speak with any real authority when it comes to campers, but unless you really need/want One Now I think current prices are artificially high and there's surely got to be some better deals to be had in the coming month as some who bought on a whim decide that van life isn't their thing after all.

DIdn't think the price of that was too bad, especially if I manage to get a bit f dosh off - what do you think?

It does seem a decent price as things stand, certainly worth a look round when you get chance.

I just can't shake off the feeling that any transporter purchase at present will include some amount of 'covid tax', but obviously any vehicle purchase will never be an investment in the truest sense of the word and ultimately if it's the van you want and are happy to pay the asking price that's all that really matters.

I'm guessing from that you are a real newbie to the joys of transporter headlights. Do a search for headlights on here. Honestly if you want to see well at night then don't get one without led headlights.

Back