First night away, in my van. Any help to omprove would be helpfull.

JDC

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I bought a 16plate Kombi at the end of last August, the first one we saw in Pearl Black. We never got to spend a night in it due to work and wanting to make it a bit comfortable untill this weekend. I spent the resulting months on this forum and learnt loads. I sound deadened and insulated it, done a 6hr round trip to Scarborough to buy a bed,added some lights under said bed, bought ac/dc chargers and an inverter,bought an awning and got some extra speakers.

Some stuff I found out about the van.

1- 40 winks bed was hard and a bit high to the ceiling, not good for a claustrophobic wife. I think it needs more padding and lowering. I did take the seats out to create more space which it did, also put 2 timbers below the slide out section to prevent it sagging when getting in and out. Worked a treat.
2- Fuel Lagoon black out blinds were brilliant. Went for wraparound front screen and internals for the rest of the van.
3- Vango cairns awning, wasnt impressed by it but defo needs an awning rail fitted which I didn't have. Ground sheet is separate which resulted in a very wet floor after last night's rain. Need one with a sewn in groundsheet.
4- Sound proof and insulation was worth every penny. Was raining most of the night, could hear it but nothing major, glad I done the roof. We were both warm and dry but did have a bit of condensation on the front screen.
5- never got round to sorting van elec. I didn't want to kill the starter battery so tried to remove the fuse for the internal lights, couldn't do it thanks to my fat fingers and it just wasn't practical taking off the lower part of the dash to just remove a fuse. So, turned them all off and removed the door step lamps. Van starred first time, with fingers crossed of course.
Sorry it's a bit long but I think it may help others out there staring out without a big budget.

Any ideas to improve would be great. Cheers.

20230430_152848.jpg20230430_152100.jpg

I bought a 16plate Kombi at the end of last August, the first one we saw in Pearl Black. We never got to spend a night in it due to work and wanting to make it a bit comfortable untill this weekend. I spent the resulting months on this forum and learnt loads. I sound deadened and insulated it, done a 6hr round trip to Scarborough to buy a bed,added some lights under said bed, bought ac/dc chargers and an inverter,bought an awning and got some extra speakers.

Some stuff I found out about the van.

1- 40 winks bed was hard and a bit high to the ceiling, not good for a claustrophobic wife. I think it needs more padding and lowering. I did take the seats out to create more space which it did, also put 2 timbers below the slide out section to prevent it sagging when getting in and out. Worked a treat.
2- Fuel Lagoon black out blinds were brilliant. Went for wraparound front screen and internals for the rest of the van.
3- Vango cairns awning, wasnt impressed by it but defo needs an awning rail fitted which I didn't have. Ground sheet is separate which resulted in a very wet floor after last night's rain. Need one with a sewn in groundsheet.
4- Sound proof and insulation was worth every penny. Was raining most of the night, could hear it but nothing major, glad I done the roof. We were both warm and dry but did have a bit of condensation on the front screen.
5- never got round to sorting van elec. I didn't want to kill the starter battery so tried to remove the fuse for the internal lights, couldn't do it thanks to my fat fingers and it just wasn't practical taking off the lower part of the dash to just remove a fuse. So, turned them all off and removed the door step lamps. Van starred first time, with fingers crossed of course.
Sorry it's a bit long but I think it may help others out there staring out without a big budget.

Any ideas to improve would be great. Cheers.

View attachment 197663View attachment 197667
A number of us have fitted a Bluetooth battery monitor to keep an eye on the battery. Never had an issue with the internal lights causing a. Problem.

Battery Monitor BM2 device for Cars & Campervans 12V Battery/leisure battery tester Compatible with Android iOS and Ipad with bluetooth 4.0 and above. https://amzn.eu/d/5fUGB9a

Before you spend a fortune on van electrics for the level of use you seem to use. Look at a Ecoflow Delta 2 or a Jackery to provide power in the van. 240v and 12v DC and USBS.

Also rechargeable lights are great I use them in my awning and work great.

- 40 winks bed was hard and a bit high to the ceiling, not good for a claustrophobic wife. I think it needs more padding and lowering. I did take the seats out to create more space which it did, also put 2 timbers below the slide out section to prevent it sagging when getting in and out. Worked a treat
Can you explain that just a little more please

Cheera

I made a mistake, its an Exploria bed not a 40 winks. The bed is on stilts in the rear. It has a slide out like a drawer that goes over the rear bench seat. I took out the bench seat and used some timber to support the drawer to prevent sagging. With the bench seat removed it opened up the whole van. With a standard roof height the wife thought it was too close to the ceiling causing her panic attack. The cushions aren't very good so I'll need to get better cushions/mattress and lower the whole bed by making new legs to bring it lower to the floor. Hope this is more helpful @dandan88.

Ventilation is important to reduce condensation.
Fit some wind deflectors and pop your front windows open a couple of centimetres whilst camping; it really helps.
I did do that but only got 1 wind detector. Don't worry, new ones on the shopping list.

A number of us have fitted a Bluetooth battery monitor to keep an eye on the battery. Never had an issue with the internal lights causing a. Problem.

Battery Monitor BM2 device for Cars & Campervans 12V Battery/leisure battery tester Compatible with Android iOS and Ipad with bluetooth 4.0 and above. https://amzn.eu/d/5fUGB9a

Before you spend a fortune on van electrics for the level of use you seem to use. Look at a Ecoflow Delta 2 or a Jackery to provide power in the van. 240v and 12v DC and USBS.

Also rechargeable lights are great I use them in my awning and work great.
I think they may be better. I'll look at the coatings and go from there. Cheers

Back