Worst Fear Witnessed On The Motorway Today...

I have the bad habit of just dropping the roof without securing if I leave the van when there’s nobody else about. Although I leave the straps hanging down it still bothers me that one day I’ll forget before driving off.

A ratchet strap over the top and in through the windows would solve potential roof lifting problems.
I suspect that it would also stop the windows from closing properly thus making even more noise which would get worse the faster you went.

Our Reimo easy fit has double click safety latch on each side. Our converter has also fitted a mini seat belt type buckle as additional security in the centre.

I suspect that it would also stop the windows from closing properly thus making even more noise which would get worse the faster you went.

Then you'd could attach the strap to the external door handles. I know the doors wouldn't open, but it's not as if there's a shortage of alternative ways in and out.

For this season I'm going to make a check list laminate that I will fix on the steering wheel
I pop a fabric sleeve over the gear selector to remind me something needs to be done before I leave. The concept is like a collar or cover reminder on a control panel. The problem is it doesn’t tell me what I need to do!

For this season I'm going to make a check list laminate that I will fix on the steering wheel so I don't forget to bolt roof down, disconnect EHU, remove leveling blocks, untie dog from towbar :D and so on. Too many near misses last year :eek:
I've got one of those printed on magnetic paper stuck to the back of the steel Kiravans seat base saying 'Handbrake off, Into Gear' along with the same that hangs off the top of the steering wheel when camped up - such reminders come in particularly handy when camped on sloping ground and you can't miss it when you get in the back to loosen the bolts to swivel the seat. I'm probably now getting close to the age where I need to follow your example and make that list a bit more comprehensive.

So far got the following list, what would you all add?

* roof fixed down
* EHU unplugged
* leveling chocks removed
* Awning rail clear
* solar panel put away

was handed down an old caravan from an uncle who had been an RAF pilot . Had a brilliant " pre flight " checklist in one of the cupboards - certainly eliminates any mishaps ....

When on EHU I have a loose plug on the drivers seat. Three prongs up the jacksie is a great reminder to unplug :)

IMG_20191224_105200.jpg

True Romance said:
Sink, hob, kettle, pots & pans put away!
Waste tank drain tap off (not that it should be open...) :whistle:
Portaloo emptied
Say ta to campsite owners ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

* roof fixed down
* EHU unplugged
* Awning rail clear
* solar panel put away

When we remove the ladders off the work van we always place the clamps on the drivers seat or the footwell by the pedals ( incase someone has puts the ladders back on the roof without clamping them)
You could leave your bag fo the EHU there and write the above list on the bag :unsure:

When on EHU I have a loose plug on the drivers seat. Three prongs up the jacksie is a great reminder to unplug :)

View attachment 60532

Sink, hob, kettle, pots & pans put away!
Waste tank drain tap off (not that it should be open...) :whistle:
Portaloo emptied
Say ta to campsite owners ;)

Brutal! That should help the muscle memory ;)

* roof fixed down
* EHU unplugged
* Awning rail clear
* solar panel put away

* Gas off
* Waste tank removed (if external)
* Fridge door secured (if open for ventilation)
* 12v LB off

I’ve learned from my mistakes!

saw a chap in Cornwall deliberately trap a steel cable with a big hook thing on the end in his back barn door on a brand new 2019 T6 to a fence to hang washing on.
Heard his mrs shouting at him to go into town and get some bits for dinner.....so in a bad mood, he jumped in the van and before anyone could tell him....he drove off.
He was at the main entrance when somebody stopped him and he realised the scraping sound was 3 x 5ft fence panels and his 240v hook up cable.

... Always check your straps folks! :cry: I've added zip ties to mine to prevent the same.

Roof flew open at 60mph. Ripped to pieces. I would of stopped to help but I was in a rush picking my daughter up from school.

View attachment 59334
embarrassed to say, but a few years ago I was driving down through Redditch and on the dual carriage way my roof lifted! me and the mrs holding the strap brackets going "SH*T,SH*T,SH*T!" Whilst trying to one handed pull into a lay-by and stop! close one, but so easily done.

My Westdubs came with a small rubber strip that I think is designed to do the same job of wind deflection but I don't think anything would stop a disaster if the roof hasn't been fixed down properly in the first place. You can just make it out here (apologies about the quality but it's cropped from a much larger picture).
View attachment 59396

This incident also make me wonder whether there is another way of fastening the the roof down other than cam straps?
Can I offer some advice with those rubber strips? And I've fallen foul on this. If you ever have one of those external screen covers, be really really careful how you take it off. I've ripped that rubber strip off once before trying to be cool and whipping the screen cover off in one motion - had to stand up on the passenger seat with the roof unzipped in the rain with a tube of gorilla glue for an hour trying to get it to stick back on :)

Back