Worst Fear Witnessed On The Motorway Today...

MatT6

T6 Pro
... Always check your straps folks! :cry: I've added zip ties to mine to prevent the same.

Roof flew open at 60mph. Ripped to pieces. I would of stopped to help but I was in a rush picking my daughter up from school.

Screenshot_20200128_165609.jpg

Wonder if that’s one of those HiLo surf’s that got recalled due to risk of roofs ripping off?
How are people getting on with that recall?

It looks like its so full its popped out the top! HiLo surf, is that a roof box then?

I don't think it had anything in it, what you see there is the sides and the mattress.

Correct, opened to the side.

Guy driving looked up as if to say "Wow, I see sky... that isn't right."

It does make me feel better about my paranoia when it comes down to fastening the roof. After closing, I tighten the cam straps as best I can, tie the ends to the handles of the bed board, check the cam buckles and then check them again. Did I mention my paranoia?
PS. I thought it was a Bilbos as well.

Prompting another round of mental hand wringing about which adhesive to use for the solar panel!
Hope this chaps van is not too badly damaged.

I'm having a solar panel fitted to the roof next week and you've now got me thinking about it. On the plus side, even if the panel comes off, at least the roof should still be in place!

I suppose it's an argument for a hinged at the front roof.
Or heavens forbid a fixed hi top.
I had a Murvi Meteor many years ago on a Fiat Ducati chassis with a high top and to be fair as a camper it was great, what a slug though, especially in a head wind. Mind a T6 with the ‘air brake’ roof deployed would also be a slug I expect.

My Westdubs came with a small rubber strip that I think is designed to do the same job of wind deflection but I don't think anything would stop a disaster if the roof hasn't been fixed down properly in the first place. You can just make it out here (apologies about the quality but it's cropped from a much larger picture).
Wind.jpg

This incident also make me wonder whether there is another way of fastening the the roof down other than cam straps?

Last edited:
IHMO. the wind deflectors are more about keeping water out and adding a bit of turbulence. Airflow over roof is always trying to suck it up ( basic aerodynamics ) once it lifts a little, drag takes over and does the damage ripping the roof off . Front hinged will still lift if not latched but drag will help push it down. I had a side hinge strap fail once. Not pleasant but managed to stop before any damage done.. straps replaced and extra one fitted.

Back