Work van Wednesday

Central London site fit out with network, data etc.... Old building last refurbed in the 70s. Massive thick walls, concrete floors etc... Upper floor, no proper risers, tenants in lower floors who's offices are closed..... No hotels open, so daily commute to south coast. Either leave the van in the NCP and go back and forth on the train, or drive in and out and pay the congestion each day. Not sure which is least worse option. Am I painting a picture ?

After weeks of dicking about with wayleaves and access, Colt are due in to run in a fibre for a data circuit. Fibre will come up the floors in new containment, then has to go through wall behind hinged ladder. Notice ladder is hinged to lift up out of the way of the corridor. See hinges at the top of the ladder.

cable 1.JPG

As the walls and floors are so thick, prime contractor has a visiting concrete drilling company come in to drill the holes. They have drilled loads of holes over the last couple of week for power, A/C etc... Most of the time they've been in, the ladder has been stored hinged up out of the way. The only way they can get all of the kit past it.

They don't always get it right.... Still not my subbies.....

cable 4.JPG

I measure, check, measure again and label where I'd like a hole on their next visit. Here's my label. Look I even say if you're not sure call me, as I wasn't onsite when they were drilling.

cable 2.JPG

Where on earth shall I drill ??.. :D

Oh, the ladder looks like it's in the way.....I can't get the drilling rig just lined up....

I'll get as close as I can....That'll do...... It's not like space is really cramped on the other side.

Whoops............

cable 5.JPG

Straight through the new structured cabling. You can't see it, but there's a hole in the back of the trunking, just behind the severed wires....

Once they lifted the ladder out of the way, and drilled the hole in the right place, it came out as planned on the outside of the trunking.......

Hotels are open in Central London, I’ve got lads in Travelodges and Premier Inns, and I’m in an apartment.
Standard practice for drilling companies though, drill where they want to rather than required.

Central London site fit out with network, data etc.... Old building last refurbed in the 70s. Massive thick walls, concrete floors etc... Upper floor, no proper risers, tenants in lower floors who's offices are closed..... No hotels open, so daily commute to south coast. Either leave the van in the NCP and go back and forth on the train, or drive in and out and pay the congestion each day. Not sure which is least worse option. Am I painting a picture ?

After weeks of dicking about with wayleaves and access, Colt are due in to run in a fibre for a data circuit. Fibre will come up the floors in new containment, then has to go through wall behind hinged ladder. Notice ladder is hinged to lift up out of the way of the corridor. See hinges at the top of the ladder.

View attachment 100400

As the walls and floors are so thick, prime contractor has a visiting concrete drilling company come in to drill the holes. They have drilled loads of holes over the last couple of week for power, A/C etc... Most of the time they've been in, the ladder has been stored hinged up out of the way. The only way they can get all of the kit past it.

They don't always get it right.... Still not my subbies.....

View attachment 100402

I measure, check, measure again and label where I'd like a hole on their next visit. Here's my label. Look I even say if you're not sure call me, as I wasn't onsite when they were drilling.

View attachment 100403

Where on earth shall I drill ??.. :D

Oh, the ladder looks like it's in the way.....I can't get the drilling rig just lined up....

I'll get as close as I can....That'll do...... It's not like space is really cramped on the other side.

Whoops............

View attachment 100406

Straight through the new structured cabling. You can't see it, but there's a hole in the back of the trunking, just behind the severed wires....

Once they lifted the ladder out of the way, and drilled the hole in the right place, it came out as planned on the outside of the trunking.......
Even the Hatton Garden pensioners drilled the hole in the right place and they were a bit past it!!!

Hotels are open in Central London, I’ve got lads in Travelodges and Premier Inns, and I’m in an apartment.
Standard practice for drilling companies though, drill where they want to rather than required.

I did try and book at a Premier Grim, they had a key worker questionnaire that I didn't want to make up stuff for, however I think they're glad of any residents at the moment. I have found a managed apartment on Tower Bridge Road that I think I'll have a few nights in next week. It looks like a discrete block with off road parking. Hopefully a few days next week will have this job finished and the crap cleared, then I'm at at a DC in Docklands for some LD8 post fire migrations. I can't face the commute from that side of town. :(

I did try and book at a Premier Grim, they had a key worker questionnaire that I didn't want to make up stuff for, however I think they're glad of any residents at the moment. I have found a managed apartment on Tower Bridge Road that I think I'll have a few nights in next week. It looks like a discrete block with off road parking. Hopefully a few days next week will have this job finished and the crap cleared, then I'm at at a DC in Docklands for some LD8 post fire migrations. I can't face the commute from that side of town. :(

Not Tower Suites?

Not Tower Suites?
No, Allstay Maltings Residence Tower Bridge. Looks ideal location, reasonable price, gated off road parking and nice looking flats. Via Hotels.com. Walking distance to the Shad Indian Restaurant on Tooley street. My favourite Central London curry house. A week of takeaways for me!

Will report back with a review in a week.

Back