Work van Wednesday

I can do a bit of DIY Wednesday.... I have to replace some trees that had Tree Preservation Orders against them at home, that then died. Local council are specific about replacement Pinus Sylvestras (expensive Christmas trees) and their girth. Gist of it is that there are no such suitable trees available at present. Root ball, 15CM girth, 200-225CM yada yada, criminal offence not to etc.. ......

It's taken so many emails backwards and forwards to have the council accept that there are currently no replacements to their spec available 'cos Brexit/pandemic/unicorn specification, etc. None until next year or just container grown bl00dy expensive looky likey Christmas trees now.

Said replacements then shat earth and needles in my van on the way home.....

Oh, some fencing bits too....

diy wed.jpg

I can do a bit of DIY Wednesday.... I have to replace some trees that had Tree Preservation Orders against them at home, that then died. Local council are specific about replacement Pinus Sylvestras (expensive Christmas trees) and their girth. Gist of it is that there are no such suitable trees available at present. Root ball, 15CM girth, 200-225CM yada yada, criminal offence not to etc.. ......

It's taken so many emails backwards and forwards to have the council accept that there are currently no replacements to their spec available 'cos Brexit/pandemic/unicorn specification, etc. None until next year or just container grown bl00dy expensive looky likey Christmas trees now.

Said replacements then shat earth and needles in my van on the way home.....

Oh, some fencing bits too....

View attachment 109041
Ah, I think I’ve spotted your error here! You don’t have a length of 2x2 in that van to give jobsworth council employee a proper crack across the head with!!!

WVW shirking from home today. Had the mobile Samsung repair fella turn up to fix a couple of phones' broken screens. Cheaper than the local Polish chap in the precinct, and they replace the battery when they change the screen too.

Nice T6, immaculately fitted workshop with surface mount rework station and microscope in the back. The guy was local, and does 8-10 repairs a day. They're the official Samsung repairers, and he said they have around 100 vans nationally doing this work.
Samsung.jpg

Last edited:
WVW shirking from home today. Had the mobile Samsung repair fella turn up to fix a couple of phones' broken screens. Cheaper than the local polish chap in the precinct, and they replace the battery when they change the screen too.

Nice T6, immaculately fitted workshop with surface mount rework station and microscope in the back. The guy was local, and does 8-10 repairs a day. They're the official Samsung repairers, and he said they have around 100 vans nationally doing this work.
View attachment 109723
Do they always replace the battery when changing a screen ?
I cracked my screed last week, and the battery is nearly shot. If They replace both, its money well spent.

Do they always replace the battery when changing a screen ?
I cracked my screed last week, and the battery is nearly shot. If They replace both, its money well spent.

They do at the moment, look on the Samsung website and follow the service link. They're saying free battery replacement when replacing screen. That was the thing that tipped it for me. I'd had a cracked screen for a year or so, but the battery was lasting less that a day and finally made me have it fixed. Still much cheaper than a new Galaxy S20 etc.!

1616614732179.png

They do at the moment, look on the Samsung website and follow the service link. They're saying free battery replacement when replacing screen. That was the thing that tipped it for me. I'd had a cracked screen for a year or so, but the battery was lasting less that a day and finally made me have it fixed. Still much cheaper than a new Galaxy S20 etc.!

View attachment 109746
Wow, a new screen for an s9+ is £259...
Battery inc, but that seems expensive.

Wow, a new screen for an s9+ is £259...
Battery inc, but that seems expensive.

That's exactly what I had done. All the shops wanted £289. My 9+ is a dual SIM I bought in the UAE in 2018. There was a sharp intake of breath and he did grumble about only being able to repair Euro devices, despite me entering the correct IMEI when booking. He did it anyway, and also replaced the power connector as he said it wasn't working to spec.

I also had a Note 10 done too, new battery and screen, still cheaper than a refurb unit, but new genuine parts, and the batteries seem to be what limits a phones useful life these days. If you don't smash the screen first. :D

Compared to £880-£1000 for a new G20Ultra or G21 plus.

Well, the day started off pleasantly enough. All the week's work done - or so I thought by yesterday. Went to a supercar storage place to change a battery on a chum's Murcielago as a favour. It's jack up, NSR wheel off, arch lining out and then slide the battery out. Still not more than an hour's job, and a very pleasant place too. Not least the hardware there, but the receptionist looks like Caprice........

wvw 2021 03.jpg

Now in docklands sorting out a network issue, that I had repeatedly blamed on the client or their other third party.. Not going well, and looks like a layer 1 issue..... and my problem....

So much for all done and laze into Easter...... :rolleyes:

Reactions: CAB
Well, the day started off pleasantly enough. All the week's work done - or so I thought by yesterday. Went to a supercar storage place to change a battery on a chum's Murcielago as a favour. It's jack up, NSR wheel off, arch lining out and then slide the battery out. Still not more than an hour's job, and a very pleasant place too. Not least the hardware there, but the receptionist looks like Caprice........

View attachment 110621

Now in docklands sorting out a network issue, that I had repeatedly blamed on the client or their other third party.. Not going well, and looks like a layer 1 issue..... and my problem....

So much for all done and laze into Easter...... :rolleyes:
Laze into Easter with thoughts of Caprice and Easter bunnies.....:grin bounce:

WVW. The week's fallen apart. Caprice is a distant memory.

Only hot dinner I'm likely to get, whilst still at least being able to commission stuff remotely. The seat folding hinge is showing it's worth. Drive though KFC and 4G. I hardly ever need to leave the van. Oh wait... yeah every 4 hours or so.....

wvw333.jpg

WVW . . . . (well last weeks fun and games)

New commercial Build in Essex:

1617354788968.png

Uptown - Downtown : London Monument

1617354834218.png

AA guy failing to diagnose a leaking rear EGR pipe . .

1617354941426.png

that place in Essex again (outside) - first proper sunny day of the year:

1617355035568.png

and inside:

1617355088594.png

VW Assist guy correctly diagnosing a leaking rear EGR pipe:

1617355484986.png

Hi @Dellmassive ....glad you got it sorted.....but can you pass on how it started. Was it a smell...a noise...or a hunch.......forewarned is forearmed :thumbsup:

started with slight exhaust smell.
then bad exhaust smell,
then exhaust smell coming via blowers,
then exhaust smell coming from everywhere. + slight hiss from under van.
then exhaust smell coming from everywhere. + slight loud hiss and blow from under van and engine bay.

Now loud hiss - very noticeable with slight accelerator blips (air blowing sound)

not fixed yet . . .

but I've added my case to the main thread on it . . .

you cant miss it . . it stinks and will start gassing you at first . - then after a while you will hear it.

Last edited:
started with slight exhaust smell.
then bad exhaust smell,
then exhaust smell coming via blowers,
then exhaust smell coming from everywhere. + slight hiss from under van.
then exhaust smell coming from everywhere. + slight loud hiss and blow from under van and engine bay.

Now loud hiss - very noticeable with slight accelerator blips (air blowing sound)

not fixed yet . . .

but I've added my case to the main thread on it . . .

you cant miss it . . it stinks and will start gassing you at first . - then after a while you will hear it.

Cheers....Great explanation :thumbsup: ( normally the only stink and noise i get is from the passenger seat :inlove: )

New Covid restrictons means we did not have enough cars at work today, so my van came to the rescue. First time pulling a trailer with the van. Need to find a solution to make the van accept LED trailer lights, but other than that it did great!

20210409_140314.jpg

New Covid restrictons means we did not have enough cars at work today, so my van came to the rescue. First time pulling a trailer with the van. Need to find a solution to make the van accept LED trailer lights, but other than that it did great!

View attachment 111987
That’s more than a trailer.... those chipper’s have got some weight to them! :thumbsup:

That’s more than a trailer.... those chipper’s have got some weight to them! :thumbsup:
This one is about 1200-1300kg i think, there is a diesel engine and some massive steel parts in there it's heavier than it looks for sure! No match for the van though!

This one is about 1200-1300kg i think, there is a diesel engine and some massive steel parts in there it's heavier than it looks for sure! No match for the van though!
Impressive, loud and powerful machines those chippers.... awesome bit of kit! :thumbsup:

Back