Winter Wild Camping - Anyone Doing It ?

Mommabear - Out of interest, what solar and leisure battery have you got? I've always found that running the engine for a short(ish) while is usually enough to keep give the battery a kick. We've not actually got solar at the moment but, hopefully, the panel is being stuck to the roof as I type this and I will be getting the van back with the job done tomorrow.

Just remember bud that idling, especially from cold is where the majority of engine wear comes from. Not a problem, but if you are doing it regularly just drop the oil a bit sooner.

Hi Andy

The Mrs and I have never really worried about the season - we used to wild camp in a two man tent in the peaks and highlands in the winter until we almost literally froze to death in 2009 - like something on the discovery channel lol. We do use the camper now but I think you've got to pick your spots - Went to St Ives in November (see photo) and paid the price for being so high up on a cliff at a proper campsite with mental winds off the Atlantic. If you've got an electric hook up, whack an oil heater in and you'll be magic. But ill be honest, we had been on solar for 4 days, the diesel heater wouldn't fire up as the battery didn't have enough juice (literally 100% cloud cover for a week) and at 3am with a blazing hangover, it was minus 2 in the van... ha ha. Couldn't engage my brain enough to work out why the heater had packed in so just passed out and took my chances.View attachment 59989
Hi Andy

The Mrs and I have never really worried about the season - we used to wild camp in a two man tent in the peaks and highlands in the winter until we almost literally froze to death in 2009 - like something on the discovery channel lol. We do use the camper now but I think you've got to pick your spots - Went to St Ives in November (see photo) and paid the price for being so high up on a cliff at a proper campsite with mental winds off the Atlantic. If you've got an electric hook up, whack an oil heater in and you'll be magic. But ill be honest, we had been on solar for 4 days, the diesel heater wouldn't fire up as the battery didn't have enough juice (literally 100% cloud cover for a week) and at 3am with a blazing hangover, it was minus 2 in the van... ha ha. Couldn't engage my brain enough to work out why the heater had packed in so just passed out and took my chances.View attachment 59989
what a view !! where is that ?

Just remember bud that idling, especially from cold is where the majority of engine wear comes from. Not a problem, but if you are doing it regularly just drop the oil a bit sooner.
I've never really thought about it like that but, then again, I'm a self-confessed mechanical numpty and so unlikely to have done! That said, I only do it once in a blue moon and certainly not enough for me to worry about (says the idiot with confidence).

what a view !! where is that ?
Thats Ayr caravan / touring park in St Ives. Its a fantastic view - pitch number 7, infact all the tourer spots have that view. Great toilets etc too - Loved Trefalgan too, its an hour walk along the coastal path in the morning into town but beautiful. I wouldn't do it in the winter though, you'll end up getting airlifted ha ha.

I've never really thought about it like that but, then again, I'm a self-confessed mechanical numpty and so unlikely to have done! That said, I only do it once in a blue moon and certainly not enough for me to worry about (says the idiot with confidence).
A valid point about the engine wear for sure, but..... if given the option of engine wear or hypothermia.... let the engine take the pounding, ha ha ha. Having said that, once the engines run long enough for the heater to fire properly, you should just be able to whack it back off again.

We are thinking of a night of wild camping next weekend, as we dont have a diesel night heater i imagine it may be very cold . Is anyone out there a seasoned hardcore winter wild camper and if so , whats it like ? Cheers
hi take the plunge no good saying on your death bed i should have gone wild camping some nice people doing it

IMG-20220127-WA0002.jpg

We manage fine with winter Duvalays.
Wear a hat in bed and long sleeved top.
As above keep the roof down and if you have a bed up you could do what we do and drop a curtain down from the end of the roof bed.
This makes the bed space much smaller and two bodies will keep it toastie warm.
Coffee and porridge to warm up in the morning.
It’s not exactly wild camping but a lot of Britstops are great. Warm meal and a couple of pints by the fire before walking to the van in the car park. Just back from the Balintore Inn, it’s car park is right on the shore line with great breakfast views.

life is for living you only have one shot at it dont bother what the masses say they are just sheep

Back