Winter Maintenance

narrative_escapes

T6 Pro
So the van has entered winter mode where unless I do something it sits in the drive in all weather. Considering lockdowns it doesn't even get the odd winter trip.

What are some common practicalities to keep it healthy? I mean common and simple things

At the minute I've fallen into giving a run 1-2 a week as a noticed a veneer of 'rust' was forming on the break discs and I didn't want that to become corrosion.

That may or may not be a good strategy but it's that sort of if you'd only done X I am trying to avoid.

Consider keeping it on trickle charge...
you got any leisure batteries? If so make sure they keeping charged.

Good point on the battery. I check it every 1-2 times on the run out.

Just for the slow - what does keeping it on trickle charge actually involve?

Hi, just so the replies are relevant it would help if you could give a fuller description of your van. For example is it a converted camper with fridge, heater, sink, leisure battery etc. or just a basic van with no extras?

Just for the slow - what does keeping it on trickle charge actually involve?

Having it plugged into a battery charger/conditioner. Ideally one that cycles the battery, so will charge it, then discharge it a bit and so on.

Another storage tip...keep correct tyre pressure and if you can roll tyres to avoid sitting on one spot for extended period ...
I use bilt hamber shampoo it contains a rust inhibitor and although it will not stop that Veneer it does hold it off for awhile :)

I take it on a driving circuit once or twice a week. I was doing this to clear the rust coloured surface forming on the disks it also have the advantage of rotating the tyres.

I've found that if i leave mine parked with the handbrake on and pulled up fully for a couple of weeks when I come to drive it, the rear calipers controlled by the handbrake are stuck on and releases with a bang when the wheels move forward...

I tend to leave the handbrake off now when parked for extended period, but its a DSG and in Park mode can't roll anywhere and is on a flat surface as well...

This could just be specific problem on my vehicle after lowering the handbrake during conversion and handbrake tensioner might need looking at...

Reactions: CAB
I've found that if i leave mine parked with the handbrake on and pulled up fully for a couple of weeks when I come to drive it, the rear calipers controlled by the handbrake are stuck on and releases with a bang when the wheels move forward...

I tend to leave the handbrake off now when parked for extended period, but its a DSG and in Park mode can't roll anywhere and is on a flat surface as well...

This could just be specific problem on my vehicle after lowering the handbrake during conversion and handbrake tensioner might need looking at...
Mine does the same. I assumed the rain rusting the discs had something to do with it.

Mine does the same. I assumed the rain rusting the discs had something to do with it.

Does your driver seat swivel..? If so the handbrake lever has been lowered and could affect the cable tension to the rear calipers.

I also read a post where it mentions tensioner on the back of the caliper is adjustable for this problem... but not 100% sure and have just learnt to live with it for now.. as leaving the handbrake off isn't a big deal for me.

Does your driver seat swivel..? If so the handbrake lever has been lowered and could affect the cable tension to the rear calipers.

I also read a post where it mentions tensioner on the back of the caliper is adjustable for this problem... but not 100% sure and have just learnt to live with it for now as its not a big deal for me.
Yes mate - it’s an OEM swivel seat but on the original base, though.

On maintenance matters, if you have an EHU, it is really useful to run a dehumidifier in the van!

Back