Wing mirror bracket

I've never fitted one of these, but I have totally dismantled my mirrors when I had parts of the mirror gloss Blacked, and they are not easy to strip, and take some scary amounts of force to pull apart, but not impossible.

Looking at the eBay part, are you saying that aluminium bracket is broken but none of the plastic mirror? You'd assume the weak spot hitting a mirror would be the plastic first.

Hiya, Did you have any luck with this. The same has happened to ours and it's £118 on EuroCarParts for the whole bracket or £7 on ebay for the part that you have mentioned. No brainer I think?

Hi all. I just had my mirror knocked off clean too. The plastic has not broken, just scratched but the part mentioned has broken. Anyone know how to remove the bracket from the main unit?

IMG_0672.JPG

Well least I’m not alone in the little nightmare ☺️

I’ve taken the wing mirror of by removing the door card then the mirror mount on the door. That bit is easy. The difficult bit is removing the shaft part of the inner bush (the £7 aluminium part) from its bearing in the mirror assembly.

To do that you need to take the mirror almost completely to bits.
It looks like there are two screws holding the bearing in place but to get to those you need to take the lower half of the mirror case off. To do that you need to take the glass out. If those two screws were the other way round it would be a ten min job. Thanks VW.

So that’s what I’m doing tonight. Take the glass off then lower housing then bearing housing extract the inner bush. Replace the bush and reassemble.

Oh and the big connector for the controls, had to cut that off because it won’t fit through the inner bush. I’ll have to bullit connect that back up.

Hope all that makes sence.

Me and my next door neighbour are tackling this job together. He kindly cut the shaft part out with a hacksaw. Did a great job with no damage. I am awaiting for the replacement to be delivered from Amazon. Hopefully today.

Mine is a manual wing mirror so no electrics to mess with.

I'd appreciate some pictures as you go - I am going to do the same to help anyone else having to do this. It should be an easy job but it isn't!

Hi all,

Well I’d put the job at about a 7/10 on the fiddly scale. Lots of fragile little plastic clasps but once the top and bottom outer shells are off, the cables threaded back out and the door panel off the fun can really begin. You need baby fingers to be able to disconnect the mirror gimble connector. The clasp and spring that allows the mirror to pivot up 90° on the door panel is painful to put back together (I managed to use a bearing press) and the spring will disappear at light speed when you remove the clasp so aim it somewhere you’ll be able to find it again.

All in about an hour to two of swearing will get you through it unless you also have to clean off a load of gorilla tape residue which adds another hour. Fun times

42ABFF9A-9482-4F41-B062-F75006FB4219.jpeg

46F7506C-A0DA-4EC2-9031-71F5CA5DA0E8.jpeg

Just quick as it’s past my bed time. (Truckdriver start times)

Yes this repair can be done and it’s not too bad.

Remove the upper shell
Remove the glass
Remove the lower shell
Take out the two long screws that hold in the bush housing, the thing that holds the broken aluminium shaft.
Replace the aluminium bit which is tricky but doable if you have a disregard for safety or a press thingy.
Then reassemble.

Simples.

Hi all,

Well I’d put the job at about a 7/10 on the fiddly scale. Lots of fragile little plastic clasps but once the top and bottom outer shells are off, the cables threaded back out and the door panel off the fun can really begin. You need baby fingers to be able to disconnect the mirror gimble connector. The clasp and spring that allows the mirror to pivot up 90° on the door panel is painful to put back together (I managed to use a bearing press) and the spring will disappear at light speed when you remove the clasp so aim it somewhere you’ll be able to find it again.

All in about an hour to two of swearing will get you through it unless you also have to clean off a load of gorilla tape residue which adds another hour. Fun times

View attachment 25051

View attachment 25052
Is that a non folding version? It doesn’t look the same as my folders. Took mine 80% apart the other day having damaged one about 10 months ago and has never sat flush ever since.

Yeah it folds in by pivoting up 90°. It's manual though, only the position of the glass mirror is controlled electronically. Working well again now.

Just thought I'd add in - this is a pretty simple fix as just did it myself! Helps if your wing mirror has already been blown apart so you dont worry about the trim clips! The spring is an arse but a bit of pipe and its easy enough to compress and slip the lock pin back in.

Now if only the bodge in slovenia hadn't lost me the aerial! grrr

Anyone fancy repairing mine for £100? I think I would lose my mind doing it myself lol. I have looked on YouTube for a video but can’t find on relevant to this model. I have just received a quote from VW and they want just under £300 for parts and labour. A bit overpriced if you ask me. It’s seems like they are made to snap with the slightest bit of impact.

I was driving down a lane and to let someone past and got a bit to close to the bush and knocked it off..The inner bush/bearing has snapped but the rest of the mirror is fine.

script>
Ok. Well order a new bit from ebay for 6 quid or so and have a go!

Disconnect all the cables so the mirror is free - I'm assuming its broken off leaving a few bits of metal held by screws and the rest of the it still in the wing mirror?

remove those screws and keep them to attach the new bit.

prise off the outer casing of the mirror - the mirror itself just pops off with gentle even pulling around it. The housing is a bit fragile - mine was already broken off so made that easier and now is just glued back on.

Then its just a few screws to leave just the stem and the spring as in the above posts photo. remove the spring clip and stop it all escaping. replace the new bit in and just do it in reverse order.

it'll look something like this when you reassemble the initial bit. the rest just all screws together quite logically.
UpvRU8b

t6 wingmirror repair

It's honestly not too tricky, you'll need some torx type bits to undo the screws and some way of getting the spring back on - i used a bit of plastic pipe i had slightly wider than the stem and a bit of muscle!

And even if you mess up the outer casing, depending on colour its maybe 50 quid painted so still cheaper to have a go than pay the dealer.

Hi,
I have a question, how can I disconnect the cables inside the mirror? The one that go to di mirror have a connector but there is a canale connected to a plastic plastic sheet that I can’t disconnect.
I have to remove the door card to see the connector?

Thank you!

Hi,
I have a question, how can I disconnect the cables inside the mirror? The one that go to di mirror have a connector but there is a canale connected to a plastic plastic sheet that I can’t disconnect.
I have to remove the door card to see the connector?

Thank you!

You will have to remove the door card if you want to unplug the wiring in the wing mirror.

Okay I have the same problem but my van is 2017 t6
I’ve got the wing mirror off and Cabot get the last plug out of the door card... it’s square beige and pink, I’ve unclipoed the pink part to reveal Pandora’s box of tiny clips

Do have to individually pick each tiny plug out?

Any advice appreciated

Thank you

Back