Windsurfing and camping build thread.

Drewmacaulay

T6 Pro
Hi all
This thread is hopefully going to be a record of my windsurfing van build - will try and update as things happen but it’s going to be a long slog!
I spent a LOT of time on this forum before committing, so a big thank you to all who put time into this site - it’s a very valuable resource for new and prospective owners. Particular thanks to @Farnorthsurfer for the detailed thread and additional photos of his amazing Windsurfing Dream Van.
I spent about four months looking for a second hand van, then one day a new one popped up at VW in Preston that had almost exactly the spec I was looking for. A few calls with a very nice guy called Liam and the deal was done. It was a LOT more than I wanted to pay but I’m planning on keeping it a long time so hopefully worth it in the end.
The spec is roughly as follows:
Panel Van, 199 BiTdi DSG LWB 4motion. Slider on passenger side with power latching, electric tailgate. Bare floor inside, standard VW hardboard lining to the lower half of the floor. Other bits include LEDs, auto park, diff lock and discover media. Have had a couple of trips out in it so far and it is fairly rapid for a van! Suspension is a little bouncy (it’s a T32) but that will hopefully settle when it’s built out.

E66EF131-3E95-40D2-93A4-8E9F117DB5D3.jpeg

0A3D1368-72FC-47D6-B361-D66691A3E3FE.jpeg

In terms of conversion, the plan is to have storage for windsurfing gear down the driver’s side, a rail seat bed system on the passenger side and a pop top roof. I’m not planning on cooking in the van so some kind of pod fridge will be all I’m installing in the way of kitchen. If I need to go on a longer trip I’ll bring a camping stove and cook outside.
While I think I have adequate space for two boards and associated sails etc in the back, I have two budding windsurfers for kids so a learner board or even two and some other gear will be going on the roof. This means I need a pop top with good load carrying capacity so it will probably be a Jerba as they state 100KG as their safe load. Jerba are currently booking as far ahead as April which was a bit of a spanner in the works. I can go ahead and get the floor in and some other bits in the meantime but they don’t like installing with liner/furniture in place so that will have to happen afterwards.
In order to able to use the van for windsurfing I am going to need to build out the storage. This will need to be removable and waterproof, so the current plan is to fabricate the frame from square section T-Slot aluminium extrusions and line with Dibond or similar sheeting. This should hopefully be light enough that I can remove it but strong enough to hold the boards etc.
As a first step towards buying the frame materials I wanted to mock up the layout to work out how big a frame was needed. Turns out it’s about 2500 long, 500mm wide (from the wall of the van) and 850mm tall. This allows a large board on its side, various rig components and sails between that board and the wall, and another board can be placed above. Haven’t quite figured out how to secure the second board yet but it fits OK with adequate room for two passengers.

5F46B88C-B576-42D4-9581-542F53D2C3AA.jpeg

54631155-CDD7-4667-93EA-E1B34071BF40.jpeg

That’s all for now, first job is to put down the deposit at Jerba then find a seat rail system that will fit. I have about 1100-1130mm width so it will probably be a two seat belt system rather than a three. If anyone has had good experiences with rail system installers please let me know. Cheers, Drew

Lovely van, great spec. Not a twin slider so should make things a little easier for furniture and space.
Totally recommend Jerba, I am sure Simon will be happy to talk windsurfing when you get there.
Nice Hypernut :thumbsup:. Your going to need space for the Foil:)
I used Westward Leisure for the seat fit, the price was good, reimo is never cheap and John did the job without minding my daft requests and changes to the floor.
Note, as standard Jerba fit the Reimo type roof rack slot strip to the roof. I didn’t think this was the best/strongest so I bought the Karitek roof rail strips which were delivered straight to Jerba who fitted these for me.
They are thicker and a better shape. I then made slot plates to go with Thule bars and feet. It’s as strong as a strong thing.
Will be tested soon with four SUP’s to Tiree for a week.
Need any advice just give me a shout.
My build thread is well behind the times but since I retired in July I have been finishing the van and windsurfing/foiling loads.
The trouble with foiling is that it extends the conditions you can go out so much you get nothing done:cool:

First job done - new wheels!
These are Black Rhino Arsenals in 17” with BFG ATs
Really like the look of these - probably won’t lift it, definitely not getting lowered.
Next thing is probably windows. Wondering whether to get sliders and worry about leaks or do without and worry about ventilation. Decisions decisions...

FBF9E863-0064-4D31-BB58-29898AC463A2.jpeg

62279785-7F37-42E2-8620-B5E1A618E61C.jpeg

If you are camping, cooking and in the summer the sliding windows are really handy. Yes there have been issues with the OEM ones. I was told by the dealer that the 6.1 windows were improved/fixed but hey it’s VW right!

Can’t believe it’s been a month since the last update - had a lot of work on but starting to make progress again. Windows fitted today at TransporterHQ. Great workmanship and nice people to deal with. Much more to do over the coming weeks but nice to see it looking a bit less panel van.

D58114EF-9966-4103-BCB8-82A7C16F80B1.jpeg

Another update - a few external add-ons in the form of arch and lower panel protectors, tints for the front windows and the tailgate glass, headlight protector film, side steps and underbody protection (sump and diff plates, front and back bumpers). Bull bar to go on in the next couple of weeks.

93D1730C-78A6-4F9A-8F72-1F0298EAD0DD.jpeg

No updates for a while - floor and rear seat installation delayed due to Covid. Sound deadening done - starting to think about electrics and heater installation. Managed to get some windsurfing done at Hillhead and Calshot in the Solent too!

A8127778-30CE-4EE8-8CD6-2537E20A0F71.jpeg

Another update - a few external add-ons in the form of arch and lower panel protectors, tints for the front windows and the tailgate glass, headlight protector film, side steps and underbody protection (sump and diff plates, front and back bumpers). Bull bar to go on in the next couple of weeks.

View attachment 88368
What bull bar are you getting?

I don’t actually know the brand - a friend of mine is getting it for me. All I know is it’s matt black! I know it wasn’t easy to find one
That’s exactly why I’m asking! Also looking for one in black

Lovely van, great spec. Not a twin slider so should make things a little easier for furniture and space.
Totally recommend Jerba, I am sure Simon will be happy to talk windsurfing when you get there.
Nice Hypernut :thumbsup:. Your going to need space for the Foil:)
I used Westward Leisure for the seat fit, the price was good, reimo is never cheap and John did the job without minding my daft requests and changes to the floor.
Note, as standard Jerba fit the Reimo type roof rack slot strip to the roof. I didn’t think this was the best/strongest so I bought the Karitek roof rail strips which were delivered straight to Jerba who fitted these for me.
They are thicker and a better shape. I then made slot plates to go with Thule bars and feet. It’s as strong as a strong thing.
Will be tested soon with four SUP’s to Tiree for a week.
Need any advice just give me a shout.
My build thread is well behind the times but since I retired in July I have been finishing the van and windsurfing/foiling loads.
The trouble with foiling is that it extends the conditions you can go out so much you get nothing done:cool:

I have had a Karitek ELRR system fitted to my pop top by the company who converted my van. Have you had any problems with water ingress down the bolts into your pop top roof?

I have had a Karitek ELRR system fitted to my pop top by the company who converted my van. Have you had any problems with water ingress down the bolts into your pop top roof?
No problem here with water ingress because the rail bolts on the Jerba pop top are outside the roof canvas and can’t leak into the van. The rails/track I used are the Karitek ones.

So a long overdue update, the van is back from having the roof installed. I went for an electric California roof in the end as that had the highest load carrying capacity of any roof I came across (100kg closed, 50kg up). It doesn’t look quite as slick as other roofs as it’s a SWB roof on a LWB van but that gave me somewhere to relocate the satnav aerial that is mounted from the factory at the front of the roof and looks terrible. Very pleased to have it at the back via an extension lead.
Kernow Conversions did the work and also installed the floor, rails and a Cali bed in the back. I also had the side interior panels replaced with waterproof Foamex which I will eventually wrap in a different colour and seal in place but they are mounted using the standard vw popper attachments for now.
Standard of work looks very good - hopefully it will withstand regular salt water exposure in and out as various sails/boards and wetsuits get transported. Kernow were very good at dealing with the Covid restrictions - the van was picked up and delivered back with full wipe down inside. Good communication from Richard ensured the whole thing went smoothly, even though I’m doing something pretty different to the average conversion.
Next job is to build and fit the board/sail/other gear storage down the drivers side. I will be attaching an extruded aluminium frame to 4x rivnuts on the side and at various points along the floor rail. Panels will likely be Foamex again. I had the diesel heater vent brought up through the floor where the board storage will be, the idea being to split the warm airflow between heating the van and drying out the gear to avoid smells etc. Might need to add some exterior venting too but haven’t figured out if that is a good idea. Probably needs its own thread to crowdsource the knowledge.
I also need to get the new Cali front seats retrimmed and the existing front seats sold. I was initially thinking of leather but wondering whether I would be better off considering something waterproof. Have tried to contact coastal customs as they do marine upholstery but no return contact yet.
Electrics will be going in soon. Have a huge battery for running various bits all day while parked up so that needs fixing in and connecting up to the battery management/external hookup/roof/diesel heater. Might add solar at some point.
So overall still lots to do but hopeful it will be sorted by end of lockdown.

FD1B838D-9F1F-4736-93C5-2FF184F2B82C.jpeg

7A09BD3D-4B4F-49D2-B008-85C96B068A07.jpeg

05CEC0D3-CF9D-4CB3-8EE1-F8C91302148C.jpeg

View attachment 88368
Where did you get the arch and lower panel protectors from? Look good

Your van looks awsome, well done. I use mine for kite surfing (dont shout at me) and trying to plan my layout to carry all my kit so looking forward to seeing your van come along.

Re. Ventilation, I think it would be a good idea to have the kit storage area vented to help it dry out, I know my surfboard bag is still damp after a few days if left in the van so venting would be a good idea, ducting in from your heater and an external vent sounds a good solution to keep the airflow. Could you utilise the rear slam vents? or put a vent in the floor?

Back