Camper rear side windows, or not?

Green Giant

T6 Guru
Hi
Still trying to make a plan to fully convert our swb Kombi van.
We so far have a poptop , swivel front seats and diesel night heater, carpet lining.
I’m quite liking the kombi style of the van, without the rear windows, but will it be too dark if we don’t have the rear quarter windows?
Going for the traditional set up of kitchen and a full height wardrobe cupboard, so only the one rear window would actually let light in.
We will have a bed/seat on rails so any rear passengers could see out the middle windows by sliding seat forward.
So we could just add extra led lighting maybe.
Anyone got a kombi campervan who could give some feedback, do I really need rear windows?
The styling of our van is verging on a swamper
Cheers

I worried about this too. Our old V-Class (sorry to swear) had full windows and the new Kombi doesn’t.
It’s warmer and we don’t miss the windows.
Good task lighting is always important and you can always add a dimmer!

I debated this for my in-progress conversion.
Our current camper has privacy glass all round(full length countertop so no rear wardrobe) so to check if we'd miss the rear side windows I decided to close those curtains for a week and make the decision then. It was only then that I realized how much we look out those windows so I've decided to go with the same again for the current conversion.

For me the answer is yes go for the window with privacy glass, I had the same reservations over 4 years ago and glad I did it.

I like the look of the windows from the outside anyway and as we have a full height wardrobe only one side is an actual window but I would definitely have it again. It lets in light and is good for looking out when the bed is down or up. The kids definitely need it too. My son sits on the kitchen side (his choice originally as he got use of the counter) but he regrets it now as my daughter has the window side.

Why not build your conversion without rear windows and then, if you decide you need/want the extra windows, you can always add them. A bit trickier going the other way. :)

Thanks all for the feedback, so it’s looking like rear windows are worth having.
Going to visit NEC show next month for a final look at the different kitchen layouts, will hopefully sit in a few vans and take notice of the rear windows and imagine sitting there without them.
Ps, the current carpet lining was done by previous owner, not a great job so planning to redo this anyway, and also still got to fit the full leisure electrics wiring etc

We didn't have them initially and it was hideous travelling in the back (on a R/R bed) - the double front seats obscured the view forward and the r/r bed was too far back to see out the side windows.
I had a near side rear window fitted and it's so much better (as is a single front seat), debating whether to get an offside rear window fitted.

We didn't have them initially and it was hideous travelling in the back (on a R/R bed) - the double front seats obscured the view forward and the r/r bed was too far back to see out the side windows.
I had a near side rear window fitted and it's so much better (as is a single front seat), debating whether to get an offside rear window fitted.
Cheers, very useful, sounds like windows are nice to have

Do you thinik it would be as important if the rear seat/bed was on rails so when travelling it is near the windows in the slider and opposite offside panel?

We have a Kombi conversion. When we were looking at the options we decided the van was too dark without rear windows and felt cramped with the high cupboard,. It was our intention to go for a low level side kitchen but then we discovered the Ply Guys and felt that they offered the best form factor for our needs. We love the windows all around and the light and view they offer - the van feels bigger and less cramped.

We are still looking for our van to convert but we are definitely going for the all round windows. It's one of the first decisions we made about the van plan.
We sat in a few traditional set ups at shows and we both just felt claustrophobic penned in by cupboards and without windows to look out of, much preferred the panoramic effect with low units and maybe even a L or U shaped seats for a more social evenings as we don't need extra belted travel seats.

We are still looking for our van to convert but we are definitely going for the all round windows. It's one of the first decisions we made about the van plan.
We sat in a few traditional set ups at shows and we both just felt claustrophobic penned in by cupboards and without windows to look out of, much preferred the panoramic effect with low units and maybe even a L or U shaped seats for a more social evenings as we don't need extra belted travel seats.
Your story is very similar to ours! We can still have the Kombi rear seats in and carry 5 if we need to. We just need to remove the front units which are screwed to the flooring (apparently quick and easy but we've not tried it yet).

Do you thinik it would be as important if the rear seat/bed was on rails so when travelling it is near the windows in the slider and opposite offside panel?
That would be better, but it’s whatever will work best for what you need. My lot get travel sick so it was essential for me.
Also, I like having an opener in the rear quarter when sleeping in the van in summer.

Back