Panel van conversion window options

alex_p

T6 Pro
Hi all,

Got my panel van booked in for a Kombi conversion at the end of the month and am going round in circles on window options.

As it stands, I’m leaving the rear quarter panels alone - van is starlight blue so I don’t think the windows will stand out hugely.

First off I was going fixed on the single sliding door and opening on the driver‘s side, as that is what seems to be popular, then I decided on flush sliding windows on both sides, but now I'm liking the simplicity of fixed windows on both sides…

I won’t be having a stove in it at the moment, won’t often have passengers in the back or be sleeping in the van, and with the stories I’ve been reading about leaking sliding windows, probably wouldn’t open them when stationary if it’s wet, and can surely open the cab windows or sliding door if it’s hot?

What am I missing - everyone seems to have at least one opening rear window so why do I need one or two?!

Thanks

Alex

I have a sliding window in the drivers side with a camper conversion. Fitted it because everyone seems to fit one there.
I’ve only opened it a couple of times for ventilation because that is also a sliding door (twin slider) so I can just open the door.
If I open it for stove ventilation it interferes with the gas flame pattern, so it’s no use for that.
Doesn’t leak though so not an issue.

Definitely not compulsory but I use our driver side window semi regularly for ventilation and have appreciated having it. If anything I've missed not having a window that opens on the other side.

At the end of the day its what ever works for you, I chose to have opening windows on both sides, but again thats what works for me

Thanks all - I’m still in two minds about this!

I certainly prefer the look of the fixed windows, but am worried I‘ll find I want an opening one as soon as I use the back of the van - think my solution will be fixed on the passenger side and opening on the drivers side… Got a meeting with the converter today so will have to make my mind up!

If at some point you decide to do a camper conversion you may not want a potentially leaking side window above the furniture.

If at some point you decide to do a camper conversion you may not want a potentially leaking side window above the furniture.
I agree - my thinking is I’m just doing the “basics” at the moment to see how we use the van, and if a full camper conversion is on the cards in the future (I doubt it, but you never know) the cost of swapping the window will be relatively insignifican.

Likewise, if I do a pop-top down the road (50/50 likelihood?) ditching one sliding window won’t add much to the cost…

I agree - my thinking is I’m just doing the “basics” at the moment to see how we use the van, and if a full camper conversion is on the cards in the future (I doubt it, but you never know) the cost of swapping the window will be relatively insignifican.

Likewise, if I do a pop-top down the road (50/50 likelihood?) ditching one sliding window won’t add much to the cost…
The cheapest option if you can’t get a slider to seal is plug the gap with a heavy silicone grease and don’t use it.

Curveball incoming...... We have a Kombi that we had rear quarter opening windows fitted to as we knew we didn't want a traditional camper with tall wardrobe conversion. We wanted the van to be light and airy, not dark and cramped feeling. Then, like all the OEM kombi windows, ours leaked so we had them removed and replaced with matching style openers so we have openers all around. We've used them all depending on the direction of the wind to create a gentle through draft on hot days. IMG_9212.jpegIMG_9210.jpeg

Had a chat with the converter today and, based on some scuttlebutt, he isn’t inclined to trust the new THQ flush windows yet and isn’t surprised there is a break in supply…

He showed me the other options he would recommend in the metal, and I didn’t like any of them enough to risk having them fitted, their appearance bugging me and me potentially not using them.

When he told me it’d only be £50 to have a window removed and a new one fitted (plus the cost of the new window), I felt happy I’d go without and then, if I decide I need one, I’ll have it/them retrofitted.

Most of these side windows, openers, or fixed nearly always seem to be limo black so are never going to give a light and airy feel to the interior.
We've got a camper conversion that came with two openers and they do get used frequently but I'll admit it feels like you should be serving ice cream out of one and chips on the other side.:geek:

Most of these side windows, openers, or fixed nearly always seem to be limo black so are never going to give a light and airy feel to the interior.
We've got a camper conversion that came with two openers and they do get used frequently but I'll admit it feels like you should be serving ice cream out of one and chips on the other side.:geek:
Our windows are darkened as the photos show, but they let a lot of light in. They are hard to see through in the day, but at night with the lights on inside they might as well be transparent. I hadn't expected to need curtains at night until the first time I saw the van from the outside with lights on. Definitely need curtains! The pictures here illustrate to some degree the level of light through the windows.IMG_0119.jpeg

IMG_9209.jpeg

Our windows are darkened as the photos show, but they let a lot of light in. They are hard to see through in the day, but at night with the lights on inside they might as well be transparent. I hadn't expected to need curtains at night until the first time I saw the van from the outside with lights on. Definitely need curtains!
It’s interesting that there aren’t at least a “light” and “mid” tint available - I get the economies of scale piece, but the two or three factories churning these windows out will be making enough to do it economically.

For me, there is the security upside the limo tint windows provide, and I get my van is going to be a set of compromises, but wouldn’t it be cool to have an electronically variable tint like on 787 windows so you could go to clear on a dull day and blackout at night?!

Obviously the window tint gradient would have to be linked directly to the ride level of the air suspension, with fully aired out "Gangsta style" giving full obsidian black tint level.:geek::whistle:

Obviously the window tint gradient would have to be linked directly to the ride level of the air suspension, with fully aired out "Gangsta style" giving full obsidian black tint level.:geek::whistle:
Not keen? :D

@Bav If I thought I could get it past the accountant I'd try and get it done before Busfest and show those ruffty ruffty Lowdown Transporters that the T6 Forum lot are pretty hardcore. :geek:
As it is I'm going to try and get some programmable led light tape under the pop top instead.

• Haha
Reactions: Bav
Curveball incoming...... We have a Kombi that we had rear quarter opening windows fitted to as we knew we didn't want a traditional camper with tall wardrobe conversion. We wanted the van to be light and airy, not dark and cramped feeling. Then, like all the OEM kombi windows, ours leaked so we had them removed and replaced with matching style openers so we have openers all around. We've used them all depending on the direction of the wind to create a gentle through draft on hot days. View attachment 202423View attachment 202424
I also have opening windows both side, and having a through flow draft has been invaluable recently.

Hi all,

Got my panel van booked in for a Kombi conversion at the end of the month and am going round in circles on window options.

As it stands, I’m leaving the rear quarter panels alone - van is starlight blue so I don’t think the windows will stand out hugely.

First off I was going fixed on the single sliding door and opening on the driver‘s side, as that is what seems to be popular, then I decided on flush sliding windows on both sides, but now I'm liking the simplicity of fixed windows on both sides…

I won’t be having a stove in it at the moment, won’t often have passengers in the back or be sleeping in the van, and with the stories I’ve been reading about leaking sliding windows, probably wouldn’t open them when stationary if it’s wet, and can surely open the cab windows or sliding door if it’s hot?

What am I missing - everyone seems to have at least one opening rear window so why do I need one or two?!

Thanks

Alex
What happened in the end ? What did you go for ?

Back