Wild Camping In Switzerland, Italy And Austria?

DXX

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’m roughly planning a 4 -5 week trip for September / October 2019 and would like to hear about personal experiences of wild camping in Switzerland, Austria and Northern Italy, preferably in the Alps and Dolomites.
We would be looking to be as unobtrusive as possible; no furniture, awning or pop top.
I’m also looking for advice on references to aires, services (water / showers) and recommended campsites in those areas. I have a CC membership but often there are better sites available.
We’re finishing along the South of France, Pyrenees and back to Portsmouth from Santander. France and Spain are easy as there is plenty of Aires available.

Any first hand recommendations for campsites / wild camping in the Swiss Alps and Italian Dolomites?

I’ll update with my own findings on wild camping.
Switzerland; no chance to wild camp as it’s illegal unless above the tree line, big fines.
Dolomites; possible to wild camp for free out of season as car park enforcement is pretty slack.

They aren't keen on wild camping in Italy but they don't police it very well either. That said a pal out here got a fine in Sardinia for camping in his sprinter. Also try park4night app. It covers all of Europe.

Quite a few places listed in Search for Sites, I think there is an iOS version which downloads data and maps so doesn't need internet for accessibility, the Android version integrates with navigation apps so maybe the iOS does the same.

They aren't keen on wild camping in Italy but they don't police it very well either. That said a pal out here got a fine in Sardinia for camping in his sprinter. Also try park4night app. It covers all of Europe.
I picked up a 112 Euro fine last year for a coffee stop on Seiser Alm.
No details on how or who to pay and I haven’t paid it.

I picked up a 112 Euro fine last year for a coffee stop on Seiser Alm.
No details on how or who to pay and I haven’t paid it.
They thought you were camping? My mate reckons he never paid it and hasn't heard any more about it.

Switzerland on the other hand will get you the next time you go there, another family I know just got stung with an €800 for an unpaid speeding ticket from a couple of years ago!

Back