Wild Atlantic Way - Ireland

Irvine101

VIP Member
T6 Pro
We are considering driving part of the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland next June (starting in the South & travelling North). We plan to allow 2 weeks for the trip from the UK and recognise that this isn't enough to do justice to the whole route so will only do as much as we can in the time allowable

Has anyone got experience of the route? In particular we like the freedom of not needing to book campsites and finding them as we travel. Is this possible for this route in June. Are there plenty of campsites on the route, and if so do they generally have sufficient room so we don't need to book in advance.

We have a full camper conversion so if necessary we can rough camp for the occasional night, though we prefer the facilities of campsite. This assumes rough camping is allowed in Ireland / on the route?

Any opinions would be gratefully received, along with views on recommended campsites, must see places to visit etc

Thanks in anticipation

Cant remember if I added the link to the tread but this book was helpful
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0955265568/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_9XIaEbXEKNJTW
In summary.
We went in May/June. Absolutely stunning. For us, with the weather we had, 10 days wasn't enough.
We pre booked campsites the night after/before the ferry but everything else was turn up and see what's available. Only once did we find a campsite full but they rang the next campsite along the route and reserved a space on our behalf.
Sometimes we stayed 2 nights as the area and/or campsite were so pleasant.
As always campsites vary in amenities and condition although all had the essentials. Bogs, shower and hookup.
We found getting on road for 9 and bumbling along the route stopping when we felt like it and then reviewing progress at lunch, select a campsite and bumble towards it. Sometimes we got there by 2pm and so we walked into local village etc.
Talking to motorhomers travelling in the opposite direction to you can reveal little gems to visit the next day. Chatting to campsite owners and locals in the pub can also be beneficial.
I want to do the northern half but know that the weather we had was a once in a lifetime experience.

We did the North bit from the Giant’s Causeway to Achill Island over three weeks last summer. Short summary is that we had a great time. Actual campsites are a little few and far between and the ones that there are don’t tend to be great, however this mattered little to us as the wild camping is fantastic on the coast - loads of great nights in beautiful, deserted bays.

as mentioned already - campsites vary greatly.
look at some of the pubs as quite a few have some facilities are charge a nominal fee
if you are drinking and eating there.
there is an app "camping Ireland" that is decent.
We did half in 11 days - north, anticlockwise to about half way down the west coast.
It is well sign posted and there are unique signposts at points of interests.

Enjoy

I did parts of it last year in October. It put the 'wild' in wild atlantic way, but it was brilliant. I bought some books and tried to do some research before hand, but the most useful thing I did was go into the first tourist information centre I could find. They have loads of leaflets on every county with maps/info which was 100x more useful than anything I had found previously.

Campsites were hit and a miss for me, because of the time of year.

Slieve League and the Gap of Dunloe were particular highlights, even if I did misjudge a height barrier at the slieve league car park and trash a bike rack in the process!

will do at holyhead now awaiting boat a little early 4 hours early but got two golden retrivers with us and they got there own medical certificates which need to be indpected what a load of crap if i would have come through northern ireland no checks.

3 weeks into the wild Atlantic way in our camper van been charging phones while driving in cigarette lighter but I think fuse as gone any advise

Cheers
The oilman

3 weeks into the wild Atlantic way in our camper van been charging phones while driving in cigarette lighter but I think fuse as gone any advise

Cheers
The oilman
Can ye can charge from the usb sockets in the dash?
Sc49(blue 15A fuse) is for cigarette lighter socket.
If the fuse is gone and ye don't have spares most filling stations would have them. Where are ye located now?

Back