Travelling to Spain 2024.

Ric1962

T6 Pro
Hi all. Im hoping to do a trip down to Almeria, SE Spain at the end of May and was doing a bit of homework since its been a few years since I was last driving down that way. I came across some information that has left me scratching my head. It would seem that unless you are travelling to Spain on holiday or business, with proof of hotel booking or accommodation available for inspection by the Guardia or Frontier Police if requested, then you "could" be fined up to 5000 Euros!!! No problem if you are on a two week, fly in, fly out package holiday or are visiting on business with hotel accommodation booked, but it made me think, what happens if you are travelling around in your camper, with no fixed route or destination, and planning to stop where ever suits you, when ever suits you and you have not pre booked a campsite?

Here is a link to the Spanish Gov Tourist page.... Ministerio del Interior | Entrada: requisitos y condiciones

Also, according to the rules, if you are not in an hotel, B&B, hostel etc but are staying with friends, family etc in their house / villa / apartment then they have to provide you with a Carta de Invitación, an official invitation only available from the local Policia station to where you will be staying!

So, my question is, what happens if your not on a package holiday, not staying with relatives and are not there on business? You're just there on a travelling and camping holiday?

From what I can work out, proof of a return ferry crossing booking could be the only thing that could save you.

Also, Im planning on viewing some properties whilst down there so will have some email correspondence from the local property agents, maybe that could count as a business trip!!

I just wondered has anyone previously been travelling around Spain in a camper with no sites booked in advance etc and had any experience of this or heard of this before?

Having had previous experience in dealing with the Guardia and Policia when I was a long distance truck driver, I know for a fact that (A) they will always win the argument and (B) it will cost you a lot of money, so I just want to make sure Im legal, its not worth taking a risk!

On a separate note, I`ve got my Crit Air sticker through the post from France and thought I was good to go. Foreign registered vehicles do not need the Spanish equivalent when visiting Spain.

There are also legal requirments regarding how much money you need to have... "Currently, the minimum amount to be credited is €113.40 per person per day, with a minimum of €1,010.60 or its legal equivalent in foreign currency (with effect from January 1, 2024)."

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rick.

1. Money, do you have a credit card? I would have thought that covered it.

2. Accommodation. There are thousands of motorhomers and campervanners heading to Spain all year round, I've never heard of any being pulled over for not having a booking.

Reactions: Bav
Can't say I've heard of this, but if it really is a thing, can't you just book a site for the first night after you enter Spain and then roam around the country as you had previously intended?

Reactions: CAB
I was watching youtubers touring with the kids, they are a british couple with kids living in a 7.5tonner currently in morocco. Whilst on the spainish boarder with gilbraltor they walked into gilbraltor from spain you have to show passport then the next day the dad alone walked across boarder to get last minute surplys on his return the boarder force asked alot of what you just said where is your hotel he said he hasn’t got any said travelling in motorhome they went on said whens your return ferry he said he hasn’t planned that yet. Not sure how much was to get viewers etc for youtube but did sound like he had trouble convincing them.

I was watching youtubers touring with the kids, they are a british couple with kids living in a 7.5tonner currently in morocco. Whilst on the spainish boarder with gilbraltor they walked into gilbraltor from spain you have to show passport then the next day the dad alone walked across boarder to get last minute surplys on his return the boarder force asked alot of what you just said where is your hotel he said he hasn’t got any said travelling in motorhome they went on said whens your return ferry he said he hasn’t planned that yet. Not sure how much was to get viewers etc for youtube but did sound like he had trouble convincing them.
I have read this about Gibraltar. But not any other border.

Presumably the Spanish applying the letter of their law, as they are reported to do when they want to apply pressure during Gibraltar negotiations.

Well I’m going on Saturday for 8 weeks. Nothing booked except the outbound ferry, so I’ll let you know.:oops:
We aren’t going to venture into Gib though so that border issue won’t arise.

Hi all. Im hoping to do a trip down to Almeria, SE Spain at the end of May and was doing a bit of homework since its been a few years since I was last driving down that way. I came across some information that has left me scratching my head. It would seem that unless you are travelling to Spain on holiday or business, with proof of hotel booking or accommodation available for inspection by the Guardia or Frontier Police if requested, then you "could" be fined up to 5000 Euros!!! No problem if you are on a two week, fly in, fly out package holiday or are visiting on business with hotel accommodation booked, but it made me think, what happens if you are travelling around in your camper, with no fixed route or destination, and planning to stop where ever suits you, when ever suits you and you have not pre booked a campsite?

Here is a link to the Spanish Gov Tourist page.... Ministerio del Interior | Entrada: requisitos y condiciones

Also, according to the rules, if you are not in an hotel, B&B, hostel etc but are staying with friends, family etc in their house / villa / apartment then they have to provide you with a Carta de Invitación, an official invitation only available from the local Policia station to where you will be staying!

So, my question is, what happens if your not on a package holiday, not staying with relatives and are not there on business? You're just there on a travelling and camping holiday?

From what I can work out, proof of a return ferry crossing booking could be the only thing that could save you.

Also, Im planning on viewing some properties whilst down there so will have some email correspondence from the local property agents, maybe that could count as a business trip!!

I just wondered has anyone previously been travelling around Spain in a camper with no sites booked in advance etc and had any experience of this or heard of this before?

Having had previous experience in dealing with the Guardia and Policia when I was a long distance truck driver, I know for a fact that (A) they will always win the argument and (B) it will cost you a lot of money, so I just want to make sure Im legal, its not worth taking a risk!

On a separate note, I`ve got my Crit Air sticker through the post from France and thought I was good to go. Foreign registered vehicles do not need the Spanish equivalent when visiting Spain.

There are also legal requirments regarding how much money you need to have... "Currently, the minimum amount to be credited is €113.40 per person per day, with a minimum of €1,010.60 or its legal equivalent in foreign currency (with effect from January 1, 2024)."

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rick.
You’re overthinking it. Just go.

As said above, you're overthinking it. I suspect that unless you're very unlucky, the only land borders with Spain that you're likely to encounter any issues (or even any officials) is at the borders with Gib (particularly when the Spaniards are trying to make points) and Andorra (easily avoided). I also have a vague recollection that there are similar rules in place for France but have never been concerned enough to investigate further! There are loads of us here on T6F (inc. me) that have had trouble free trips to Spain. Indeed, we will likely be headed back in that direction again in June.

Hi everybody and thank you for your thoughts and input. I still intend to take the trip, just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of or encountered any these issues.

It would seem the new rules apply starting this year, 2024.

Here is a link to todays GB News website with some more details. MSN

Im posting it up here for information only, make of it what you will.

Cheers all,

Rick.

"Another rule requires tourists to spend a minimum of £93 each day they are in Spain or the nation’s islands."

Really? I understand proof of funds may be a requirement, but proof of spending? Who writes this stuff? Is it AI generated cobblers?

GB News generated cobblers. The real requirements are here, including the rate applying for how much funds you have available (which can be proven with a bank statement or credit card for example). The change for 2024 is just the particular rate. All the rest of the requirements are a Brexit benefit.

How much they may get applied I don’t know. I’ve been asked for accommodation details at immigration, and the accommodation takes a record of the passport, so theoretically it can be checked.

There's a lot to be said for Spain's officious border control policy... just not the 35 years of fascist dictatorship that inspired it. :rolleyes:

We've travelled round Spain & Portugal for the last three summers for roughly three weeks at a time and never had any issues with anything like this.

We did have return ferry crossings booked but tended to only have a rough idea of where we would be heading so tended to book campsites on the day once we had a destination in mind.

One thing to bear in mind is that there has been a huge increase in vans and motorhomes travelling around since Covid, so if you were thinking on staying on any coast/beach campsites I would suggest booking in advance as they tend to be fully booked. Inland sites tended to have lots of availability even in summer so we tended to aim for one of those.

Back