Wild Atlantic Way - Ireland

Ed Webb

Webber
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Planning a trip for next summer and the other half is set on the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland however whilst we are over there I'm looking at doing as much as we can.
I'm turning to you knowledgeable lot for must do's, good campsites, wild camping spots and anything that will help us get the most from our trip.

IMG_0367.PNG

We did half of it this October and had a great time. Started at Galway and went all the way up and into NI and the Giants Causeway. Can’t really help on nice campsites as not much open in October other than places that also cater for static caravans which are not really our thing. Wild camped at Keem Bay and Slieve League cliffs and both are superb. We should have wild camped more than we did but had only just got the van and so were a bit wary. I recommend Clifden eco Beach Camping & Caravanning as a great spot. We also stayed a couple of nights in the car park of the Beach Bar near Sligo which has outside loos and showers. The Singing Pub was another pub car park we stayed in The Singing Pub the locals didn’t leave till about 3:30am! I will post some pictures and more info when I get on my main computer.

Only been to the SW corner (Ring of Kerry,etc) but it was lovely. Wild sea, lovely mountains (well almost mountains), great people.
Only shock was the price of food and beer; it was borderline Scandanavian! Might have levelled a bit now; this was a fair while ago.

Drove around the Ring Of Kerry when I was 17, long time ago now so don't remeber any of it

I've read reviews saying the bottom 1/2 Is the best from the cliff coast down. I'm guess that's what you did @Polzeylad? The photos on Google images do look impressive.
@Markymark How long did you go for? I'd like to do all of it but may need two trips. We will have about 8 days over there and I'd also want to do the Guinness factory.
Should have planned the trip and then worked out how many days we need instead of booking days and trying to fit it all in.

We spent seven nights going from Dublin to the far north. First night was Galway and last nights was the Singing Pub. Only place we spent two nights was the Beach Bar at Sligo. Driving is very slow if you stick diligently to the marked route. Some days you are looking at 30 mph average if you stop for lunch, sightseeing etc. Then we stayed a night in NI before doing the Guants Causeway.

My wife wants to swim in all the shipping forecast areas that touch land without wetsuits (chilly in Ictober). so we swam in 4 (Irish Sea, Shannon, Rockall and Malin Head). We will have to go back to do Fastnet.

To be honest we are going back to do the southern half and will take at least two weeks over it as we felt the trip round the northern part was too rushed for us. So my advice is to do half and go back if you are only there for 8 days. The only site we booked was Dublin for the first few nights. We spent one day and night in Dublin City (had tickets to see Dara Obirian at Vicar Street). That was enough for us as we dont do cities and prefer being in the wild.

I still plan to post some photos etc.

Take binoculars as we saw lots of porpoises, dolphins and seals.

Food is pricey because of the Euro so load up with staple food items before you go.

Both pubs we stayed in had hook ups in the car park.

Feel free to keep asking questions.

Cheers Mark

Ed , check out Motorhome parking Ireland app, as above , singing pub amongst others will let you stay in return for some custom in the bar

Motorhome craic runs the above App, worth £10 subs to get access to the map , it includes wild camping spots as well if that’s your thing

Guys really appreciate the reviews and tips. Certainly looking at getting the app. The Mrs has taken up role of head of planning and is spending most evenings researching. After this trip I will be looking for more ideas for her to plan as I enjoy the peace and quiet. :thumbsup:

Over the year's before van ownership undertaken a fair amount of that -distances are slower if you want to enjoy and see rather than just dash around. Done the ring of Kerry in thick mist and Irish rain one year, the next year did it again in bright sunshine and saw what we missed the year before.

The aim of the van is to enable freedom and the ability to do what we want and go where we want. It offets the perks of staying in a area we like and leaving areas we don't. I guess it's a perk we all appreciate with the van. As our first road trip holiday I'm hoping to go with a few ideas of what to do and places to see and also wait and see what's offered when we are there. Things like the weather can change an area and it's views.

Booked the ferries a few days ago. Going end of June beginning of July. Comparing ferries in GBP and Euros is a money saving tip. Some ferries are only available in euros however times can be a bit weird.

@Ed Webb

Look forward to hearing and seeing all the pics.
We are thinking of going over in Sept.
Will probably do top half or bottom half but will wait for your views
:D

Back