Why Buy A 4motion And Not Get The Diff-lock Option ?

I can think of no occasion when I've wished I had a diff lock on my 4motion, but every dark winter evening I wish I had LED lights instead of H4 candles. That's the benefit of hindsight! And a load of threads on the subject show I'm not alone.
It's about priorities, unless you have deep enough pockets to have it all.

I got stuck in the alps in underground car park on a tight bend where I had to stop to let a barrier open before leaving. It had rained so slops was wet. I couldn’t get traction in the 4motion van I had until I put diff lock on. Then it just went

that was in a Bognor motors hire van and so I definitely ordered it when I bought my van. No brainier.

I got stuck in the alps in underground car park on a tight bend where I had to stop to let a barrier open before leaving. It had rained so slops was wet. I couldn’t get traction in the 4motion van I had until I put diff lock on. Then it just went

that was in a Bognor motors hire van and so I definitely ordered it when I bought my van. No brainier.

Yep.......if you only ever need to use it once, it's worth getting instead of paying what you would have paid for a diff-lock in recovery fees :thumbsup:. Each to their own though :)

I bought a used van, I think they just went down the option list and ticked nearly everything without thinking and made some wierd choices.. I don't have difflock but I have hill decent, which will never ever be used, tbh I don't when or where it will really be used and its a fortune as an option.
Bizarrely I’ve used the Hill Descent, but not the diff lock.

The T6 does have limited axel articulation, so it is easy to get cross axeled, and lift a wheel or two.
If this happens you need plenty of revs to get the e-diff locks kick in.
The e-diff(s) do eventually brake the spinning wheel(s), but, especially with the dsg you loose lots of control with higher revs; also you start to cut up any unpaved surface; and fill your tyre treads with mud/ice etc.
All off the above is pretty much eliminated with a diff lock
The rear diff lock makes a big difference in my experience, if you start to push your T6 towards its limits.
Even when I've been traversing some flat-ish loose sand, press the rear diff-lock, and you can feel the vehicle surge forward slightly.
But I guess for plenty of people will never really need it;
I've used it mostly when pulling off B roads covered in snow to pass an oncoming vehicle, knowing the verge was very soft with a signifiant cross fall.
I would have it again for the cost; just hope it never goes wrong:confused:
I've noticed that many (most) Land Rover/Ranger Rover products now offer a rear diff-lock (option), which years ago they didn't.

For the £500 it cost to add diff lock its worth it for resale value ,I've had my 4motion over 3 years and aint got it stuck yet.

I purchased a new 4motion swb kombi in June 2018. I added some extras which were pushing the cost of the van towards the £45,000 mark. Had to make a decision to cross lots off but the van still cost £42,500 (with a pretty good discount). Being a private buyer, this is a lot of money for any vehicle imho. I wanted the £500 diff lock option but my wife & daughter wanted heated seats...................I couldn't afford both options :(
Haven't got stuck anywhere yet but we often have nice warm bottoms :) although sooner or later, I'm sure I'm going to miss the diff lock!
I'm not worried about the resale value, as I intend to keep the van until it or me dies!

Slightly off topic, I'm awaiting delivery of an Amarok and added the diff lock option which was only an additional £324.00, Makes T6 diff £500.00 seems like mickey take

Slightly off topic, I'm awaiting delivery of an Amarok and added the diff lock option which was only an additional £324.00, Makes T6 diff £500.00 seems like mickey take
Yep, got one of those as well with a diff lock. Every time I drive the Amarok, I just wish the T6 had a V6 Diesel with a ZF 8 torque convertor; the combination is amazing. You'll love it

Yep, got one of those as well with a diff lock. Every time I drive the Amarok, I just wish the T6 had a V6 Diesel with a ZF 8 torque convertor; the combination is amazing. You'll love it

Yes totally agree and so wish the T6 was available with the V6 engine. The 18 months I had the Kombi van for it was the most comfortable vehicle I've driven, ride/seat position was perfect for me and it put a smile on my face every time I took it out wether it was a short run or long journey so hoping the V6 is as pleasurable to own

Maybe a bit more than most of us are likely to do.....
The last part of the video is with rear diff-lock engaged

Artistic licence ?? Surely everyone's found themselves in this position and wished they'd got the diff-lock option ? ;)

Artistic licence ?? Surely everyone's found themselves in this position and wished they'd got the diff-lock option ? ;)

That is exactly the situation I wanted to avoid; so I specked up a rear diff lock; and to date, this has never happened to me.:whistle:;):rofl:

Last edited:
i have it but never used it, to be fair never knew i had it until someone on hear pointed out their "button envy" on my dash, still don't know how to use it:cautious:

I know it's a late post, just want to complete it with the below 2 vids - with T6 on rollers.

And for Tiger-G... yes, man, I understand your thoughts about rear diff lock. That thing is as rare as the gold in a mine. You don't appreciate it until you need it.

I searched 1 year for my T5.1 (140hp, manual, single cab chassis 4mo with diff lock). I will build a kind of overlander amphiboius camper.
Now, I am looking for a method to add a locking to the front, too
There is an universal kit to transform it into a kind of LSD, but has a lot of debates about it. Not sure if that worths it. The EDL seems to do it's job out there on the front wheels, better than on rears.

I know it's a late post, just want to complete it with the below 2 vids - with T6 on rollers.

And for Tiger-G... yes, man, I understand your thoughts about rear diff lock. That thing is as rare as the gold in a mine. You don't appreciate it until you need it.

I searched 1 year for my T5.1 (140hp, manual, single cab chassis 4mo with diff lock). I will build a kind of overlander amphiboius camper.
Now, I am looking for a method to add a locking to the front, too
There is an universal kit to transform it into a kind of LSD, but has a lot of debates about it. Not sure if that worths it. The EDL seems to do it's job out there on the front wheels, better than on rears.

That's an excellent video, I did not realise that without a rear diff locker that the EDL could not maintain traction if you only had grip on 1 rear wheel, even with even weight distribution across the rear wheels (i.e no axel articulation issues), regardless of how much you reved the vehicle.

I have a rear diff-locker (speced by me on a factory build), and every month or so I drive the van up a very sandy steep hill (about 4metre high) just to work the system; the VW will go up with or without the rear diff lock engaged (always got the ESP/Anti-skid turned off when off-road); but if I stop partway up the hill, it needs the Diff-lock engaged to be able to set-off again.

Last edited:
I didn't know, too, until seen these vids.
I thought EDL should act on rears as well..

Chriscroft, good for you. It is recommended you engage the diff lock from time to time so you can mantain the system in good order.
Otherwise, the 2 solenoid valves might remain blocked. That happend to mine.. it is around 50 euro each.
And also, check the rubber belows from the locking lever as it tends to crack over time and spread the oil outside.

Back