Why Buy A 4motion And Not Get The Diff-lock Option ?

Tiger-G

Hi,

I'm going to try and politely kill two birds with one stone here......so bear with me

I'm a great believer in if you're going to to job, do a good job properly once, rather than a poor job two or three times. With that in mind, why do people go to the lengths and costs of buying a 4motion, if they're not getting the diff-lock option fitted too ?? If they're worried about getting stuck, why didn't they get a diff-lock to give themselves the best chance not to ?? There are a good few vids on YouTube of 4motions getting stuck until the diff-lock is engaged then off they go. I like to get off the beaten track when touring so want to minimise the risk of getting stuck as much as possible.

That's one bird killed........

I've been searching for a one or two year old LWB 4motion with a diff-lock in grey for a couple of years now, and they just don't come up for sale (Don't want any other colour, don't want it without a diff-lock). They come up for sale without a diff-lock, and I end up cursing the screen at whoever bought the van and didn't get a diff-lock fitted !! As it (wrongly in my opinion) costs actual real money to post in the "wanted / for sale" section of the forum, if anyone knows anyone who has a one or two year old LWB 4motion in grey and was thinking of selling..........??

That's two birds killed........

Cheers,
Graeme.

I agree with you, but I suspect that a lot of people don't know what a diff lock is. Out of interest, how much extra is it ?

The forum costs money to run, so paying for access to special areas makes sense, otherwise it may not exist. Having said that, there are a few traders on here with stocks of T6s (Bognor Motors I think), so you could try them.

Pete

I think that few people buy a 4Mo for its ability off road. As a working vehicle needing to tackle rough stuff, a pickup probably has most bases covered. So farmers, foresters and the like will choose them

4Mo in its standard format offers people what they want from it for on road duties. This time of year shows me how good 4Mo can be. Nipping out of a greasy junction in my FWD van needs a little more measured input to stop it scrabbling, whereas my Tig just gets on with it.

Unless someone is buying a 4Mo van for a particular purpose, they will be unlikely to spec a diff lock. Those that do, are unlikely to be selling it after a couple of years.

I agree with you, but I suspect that a lot of people don't know what a diff lock is. Out of interest, how much extra is it ?

The forum costs money to run, so paying for access to special areas makes sense, otherwise it may not exist. Having said that, there are a few traders on here with stocks of T6s (Bognor Motors I think), so you could try them.

Pete

From what I've read on forums, I think a diff-lock option is between £500-£1000.

Agree about selling something, because you're profiting from it, but when you're buying ??

You are planning to spend thousands on a van and use the forum resources but balk at a few quid for certain other resources, there is penny pinching and then there is.......
Sorry but I cannot fathom out why you are griping over this.

You are planning to spend thousands on a van and use the forum resources but balk at a few quid for certain other resources, there is penny pinching and then there is.......
Sorry but I cannot fathom out why you are griping over this.

I am definitely a penny pincher........no doubt about it :thumbsup:

We run a few 4motions and have never ordered without differential lock, it’s a must in my view. And adds to the resale.

Unfortunately we don’t have any lwb grey 4motions at present. I have a Kombi lwb grey 4Motion. But not due off till late next year!

I've got a 4-Mo without diff lock, I didn't realise it was an option, always check what the reps are writing down on the order sheet.

My rep also missed off my front parking sensors and tow bar. :rolleyes:

I purchased a new 4motion swb kombi in June 2018. I added some extras which were pushing the cost of the van towards the £45,000 mark. Had to make a decision to cross lots off but the van still cost £42,500 (with a pretty good discount). Being a private buyer, this is a lot of money for any vehicle imho. I wanted the £500 diff lock option but my wife & daughter wanted heated seats...................I couldn't afford both options :(
Haven't got stuck anywhere yet but we often have nice warm bottoms :) although sooner or later, I'm sure I'm going to miss the diff lock!
I'm not worried about the resale value, as I intend to keep the van until it or me dies!

Tyres have a much greater affect than diff-lock. You see a lot of modern tyres that have a tread pattern which works well for rolling resistance and displacing water but once off a proper highway are about as effective as running slicks. Just buy a normal 4 motion and put some proper tyres on - there's a thread for off road tyres so lots of good info on this site.

Tyres have a much greater affect than diff-lock. You see a lot of modern tyres that have a tread pattern which works well for rolling resistance and displacing water but once off a proper highway are about as effective as running slicks. Just buy a normal 4 motion and put some proper tyres on - there's a thread for off road tyres so lots of good info on this site.

Yeah, I've read a lot about how dual purpose tyres can transform the grip of a van / car. Add that to 4motion and a diff-lock and you've got the best chance possible of not getting stuck.

I know next to nothing about 4x4, though I did own two AWD Chrysler Voyagers while in Germany, and they were awesome in winter with winter tyres - I never had to fit snow chanins once!

Unfortunately, petrol trumped 4motion when it came to speccing my van, or I would have definately gone for it (it was never available on the TSI in UK). My default spec would have included the difflock also. However, I was discussing my ideal spec with some friends who have been involved in the 4x4 world (doing trials & such like), and they both said "why do you want difflock? Don't bother with it". I must admit, I was never planning on off-roading in my T6, but I did want to get around with no bother in the snow, on boggy campsites, and especially when going to the Alps skiing. They convinced me that it wasn't needed, and would be a waste of money.

So, is it a front to rear lock? or a side to side lock, and on which axle? Is it really essential and if so, why?

I purchased a new 4motion swb kombi in June 2018. I added some extras which were pushing the cost of the van towards the £45,000 mark. Had to make a decision to cross lots off but the van still cost £42,500 (with a pretty good discount). Being a private buyer, this is a lot of money for any vehicle imho. I wanted the £500 diff lock option but my wife & daughter wanted heated seats...................I couldn't afford both options :(
Haven't got stuck anywhere yet but we often have nice warm bottoms :) although sooner or later, I'm sure I'm going to miss the diff lock!
I'm not worried about the resale value, as I intend to keep the van until it or me dies!

Yep, £45,000 is a massive amount of money for a van, then add the cost of conversion..........:eek:

Hope those heated seats were worth it, lol ;)

I know next to nothing about 4x4, though I did own two AWD Chrysler Voyagers while in Germany, and they were awesome in winter with winter tyres - I never had to fit snow chanins once!

Unfortunately, petrol trumped 4motion when it came to speccing my van, or I would have definately gone for it (it was never available on the TSI in UK). My default spec would have included the difflock also. However, I was discussing my ideal spec with some friends who have been involved in the 4x4 world (doing trials & such like), and they both said "why do you want difflock? Don't bother with it". I must admit, I was never planning on off-roading in my T6, but I did want to get around with no bother in the snow, on boggy campsites, and especially when going to the Alps skiing. They convinced me that it wasn't needed, and would be a waste of money.

So, is it a front to rear lock? or a side to side lock, and on which axle? Is it really essential and if so, why?

I've only ever had 4 wheel drive cars since 2003 and when everyone else is slip-sliding along in the snow and ice, I'm travelling forward to wherever I need to go. I wouldn't be without 4 wheel drive.

As for the diff-lock on a Transporter, it only works on the rear wheels. Check out this vid to see how easily a 4motion can be rendered useless without a diff-lock:

It's on the rear axle only. Check out this vid:

Check out this vid to see how easily a 4motion can be rendered useless without a diff-lock:

Thank you.

Well the video certainly shows the diff-lock working, but the scenarios were rather contrived, placing one wheel off the ground. It wouldn't necessarily convince me to fork out the extra for diff-lock unless I was either intending on expedition driving or wanted a Swamper look (which I do like), when it must be essential!

So, for the OP, here's one guy who would probably order 4motion without the diff-lock.

I missed it on the option list! I think I would have had I seen it and the sales rep never mentioned it! Although I havent had need of it in 4 years and a reasonable amount of snow and mud. Good winter tyres are one of the most important things.

Back