4-motion or 4-motion with 1Y4 locking rear diff - what I've learned

chris ratay

World Traveler: 2023 T6.1 Ocean 204 w diff lock
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I just purchased a new Ocean for Overland Travel and thought I'd share some things I learned during my research. I knew about 4-Motion before I started shopping, but didn't realize early on that a Locking Rear Differential (1Y4) was even an option and almost made a purchase I personally might have regretted. Fortunately, many hours on this forum helped me understand the difference and I got what works for me. I thought I'd consolidate a few of the things I found.

In most cases the 4-motion is sufficient for a bit of wild camping, especially wet grass or easy off-road. I enjoy 4x4 driving in remote places, and in general traveling off-pavement, so I opted for the locking diff. It's not an expensive option when ordering new, but difficult to add after market. When I was searching For Sale adds in Europe, it was hard to put Locking Rear Diff or even the VW option code 1Y4 in the search criteria. Instead I would search 4-motion or 4x4, and then looked at interior photos for the "magic button". AutoScout24.com allows you to search Locking Differential on their website, but not on their app. I couldn't find it as an option on Mobile.de. (Downhill Assist is a separate option, and although should be included (imo) with Locking Diff, it must be specified)
Locking Diff Button.jpg

It seems COAST versions are not available with Locking Diff, (and OCEAN are not available with manual roof).

Here are some videos that illustrate some of the capabilities.

4-Motion vs 4M + Locking Diff visualized on rollers. EDL is another term for 4-Motion.

Be sure to see the different applications in the bottom left while video is playing.

Locking Diff Explained/Demonstrated on trail

I originally thought soft beaches were off-limits, but this videos shows it's quite doable.

4-Motion fun - WOW, these vans are really quite capable (with or without locking diff)!

If you know of any other great videos or have other recommendations, please share.

Hi Chris, I got one without diff and going to start there and learn as much as possible creative driving to compensate as much as possible for this missing bell and whistle. Im fitting out a panel van from scratch and was wondering if you are purchasing something already built out or you will build it up yourself, I'm trying to get an overview as to any additional considerations for securing and making the fit out inside, considering some bumps in the road ahead, nothing so fully extreme like what your up to yet, I'll wade in in baby steps first.

I just see now you have a Budapest connection, are you near Sofia by any chance, will you be there beginning July. I'm going to exploring the city for some days although I suspect your not in the city.

Hi Chris, I got one without diff and going to start there and learn as much as possible creative driving to compensate as much as possible for this missing bell and whistle. Im fitting out a panel van from scratch and was wondering if you are purchasing something already built out or you will build it up yourself, I'm trying to get an overview as to any additional considerations for securing and making the fit out inside, considering some bumps in the road ahead, nothing so fully extreme like what your up to yet, I'll wade in in baby steps first.

I just see now you have a Budapest connection, are you near Sofia by any chance, will you be there beginning July. I'm going to exploring the city for some days although I suspect your not in the city.
Thanks Ashmul.

One of my goals was to get a factory finished van, so we bought a fully kitted Ocean.

I recently switched to AT tires and took an off-road course specifically for these vans in Germany. Of the 7 vehicles, all but one had the locking diff. We only used it for one exercise - climbing a steep incline with big holes. They said it's better to drive without it, and engage if run into trouble.

Otherwise, we just turned the traction control off while on the course.

If you want to see more about that, check out this Facebook Post

We live in DT Budapest, and Sofia is a day's drive from here - we've been through in the past, but no plans to return this year. Flying to Kyrgyzstan in July for a 2-week motorcycle trip, but otherwise I'll be here.

Chris

Thanks Ashmul.

One of my goals was to get a factory finished van, so we bought a fully kitted Ocean.

I recently switched to AT tires and took an off-road course specifically for these vans in Germany. Of the 7 vehicles, all but one had the locking diff. We only used it for one exercise - climbing a steep incline with big holes. They said it's better to drive without it, and engage if run into trouble.

Otherwise, we just turned the traction control off while on the course.

If you want to see more about that, check out this Facebook Post

We live in DT Budapest, and Sofia is a day's drive from here - we've been through in the past, but no plans to return this year. Flying to Kyrgyzstan in July for a 2-week motorcycle trip, but otherwise I'll be here.

Chris
Does that mean you only engaged the diff lock in one instance? That's reassuring to know if that's the case, would you share the training information with me, as I also think I really need to learn, So Im best prepared and also can get a clearer picture of her capabilities and how I need to take this into consideration when I build her out inside. thanks so much its great to chat to someone with experience like your own

I have a long wheel base so it may be different for me a bit with the long body, I wonder is the same kind of driving possible with a long wheel base at all

I used it in the Sahara in deeper sand. In the course we only used once as it was more of an intro course.

See the FB post or contact www experience.de

My Defender 130 had a long wheelbase - sometimes it's a benefit, and other times not - depends on terrain

I used it in the Sahara in deeper sand. In the course we only used once as it was more of an intro course.

See the FB post or contact www experience.de

My Defender 130 had a long wheelbase - sometimes it's a benefit, and other times not - depends on terrai

Back