Why Buy A 4motion And Not Get The Diff-lock Option ?

Sounds like there's a few people who went for the 4motion but didn't know there was a diff-lock option ?? :(

That must be why trying to find a grey LWB one is all but impossible :(

I've got to agree with Mooncat, in most "ordinary" off road scenarios, having the right tyres is probably more important than a diff lock, with the caveat that having both is better still. By "ordinary" I mean you can keep all four wheels on the ground.
Like the original poster I wanted a T6 4motion with a diff lock but ended up frustrated searching for the right van so I bought one without.
I have to drive on muddy fields regularly and haven't had any problems yet, I think partly because I'm an experienced off road driver, I know and accept the limitations of the van, (its not a Landrover) and I have the right tyres.

I've got a lwb 4motion with diff lock in indium grey. Comfort dash, twin electric sliders, electric tailgate, heated seats, acc, 204 dsg, app connect, auto led lights, high beam assist etc etc they are out there ..

Coming to 4mot Transporters after owning 8 Discoverys, I was wary about the lack of low box, so ordering diff lock was a given. I’ve owned the van for 2.5 years, done 26k miles. Had 5 weeks in the Alps skiing, launched & recovered a 2t boat & never had to resort to the diff lock.

Last edited:
ordered it on mine, as I thought i would kick myself if i ever needed it and didn't have it... plus planning on driving in Europe a lot so would rather be as self reliant as possible...

I've got a lwb 4motion with diff lock in indium grey. Comfort dash, twin electric sliders, electric tailgate, heated seats, acc, 204 dsg, app connect, auto led lights, high beam assist etc etc they are out there ..

One door too many, but very jealous ;). If you don't mind me asking, did you buy it new or used ??

Hi,

I'm going to try and politely kill two birds with one stone here......so bear with me

I'm a great believer in if you're going to to job, do a good job properly once, rather than a poor job two or three times. With that in mind, why do people go to the lengths and costs of buying a 4motion, if they're not getting the diff-lock option fitted too ?? If they're worried about getting stuck, why didn't they get a diff-lock to give themselves the best chance not to ?? There are a good few vids on YouTube of 4motions getting stuck until the diff-lock is engaged then off they go. I like to get off the beaten track when touring so want to minimise the risk of getting stuck as much as possible.

That's one bird killed........

I've been searching for a one or two year old LWB 4motion with a diff-lock in grey for a couple of years now, and they just don't come up for sale (Don't want any other colour, don't want it without a diff-lock). They come up for sale without a diff-lock, and I end up cursing the screen at whoever bought the van and didn't get a diff-lock fitted !! As it (wrongly in my opinion) costs actual real money to post in the "wanted / for sale" section of the forum, if anyone knows anyone who has a one or two year old LWB 4motion in grey and was thinking of selling..........??

That's two birds killed........

Cheers,
Graeme.
Graeme
What are you planning to use the van for that you are certain you will need a diff lock?
If you know you will need the diff lock and a normal 4Motion wont do the job then the T6 with a diff lock isn't the tool for you.
Buy a sprinter or Iveco with low box, torque vectors and diff lock.

Graeme
What are you planning to use the van for that you are certain you will need a diff lock?
If you know you will need the diff lock and a normal 4Motion wont do the job then the T6 with a diff lock isn't the tool for you.
Buy a sprinter or Iveco with low box, torque vectors and diff lock.

It's gonna be a day van, but I like to get off the beaten track where it's quiet and off grid. So it'll be the likes of Scotland, Europe, Scandinavia, etc, so if I see a little track somewhere leading to a remote loch, I'm not going to get worried about getting stuck.

I think of some of the places I've been to on my motorbike or four wheel drive car and I just know a two wheel drive just wouldn't hack it. I think back to a couple of years ago when we had heavy snow and I was trying to get from Richmond North Yorkshire to the A1 and there was a five mile queue of stationary stuck traffic going nowhere, and I just overtook them all, found a little side road and made it to where I needed to be when no one else could because I had the right vehicle. And as I mentioned earlier, I'm the type of person that try's to minimise the risk as much as possible with whatever I'm doing.

I wouldnt let the diff lock issue put you off enjoying a van that is more than likely available now to buy, youre missing out on a great experience for something you simply wont need. There is a huge difference between what a diff lock enables the van to do than if it didnt have difflock. If you were delivering parts for forest work id agree you need diff lock. For what you want, going off the main roads etc for a bit of camping then a normal 4Mo will do. I live 1400ft up a hill and in the winter always get heavy snow, last year we had 3ft, i pull an 18ft tri-axle trailer across muddy fields and around steep rutted tracks and i have never felt the need for a diff lock. As i said before if i needed something where a diff lock was needed then i wouldnt be using a Transporter...id be using a Discovery Commercial. Point taken about you wanting a day van so if you still have to minimise risk then a Sprinter every time. All in my humble opinion and experience of course.

I wouldnt let the diff lock issue put you off enjoying a van that is more than likely available now to buy, youre missing out on a great experience for something you simply wont need. There is a huge difference between what a diff lock enables the van to do than if it didnt have difflock. If you were delivering parts for forest work id agree you need diff lock. For what you want, going off the main roads etc for a bit of camping then a normal 4Mo will do. I live 1400ft up a hill and in the winter always get heavy snow, last year we had 3ft, i pull an 18ft tri-axle trailer across muddy fields and around steep rutted tracks and i have never felt the need for a diff lock. As i said before if i needed something where a diff lock was needed then i wouldnt be using a Transporter...id be using a Discovery Commercial. Point taken about you wanting a day van so if you still have to minimise risk then a Sprinter every time. All in my humble opinion and experience of course.

Thanks for that info, much appreciated :)

Errrr….……:whistle: I've just bought the exact van off this forum last week :D !
Although I have just spent a few quid and 2 days adding a host of mods .
And I wasn't even looking for a grey van , sold my blackberry lwb 4motion with diff lock on the Monday and purchased the grey one on the Wednesday , my blackberry was 6 speed manual and I wanted a DSG .
Any way I hope your search is fruitful in the end .:thumbsup:
I must of been fortunate to have bought them both with "Diff-lock" ?
20191127_135700.jpg

20191127_135623.jpg

20191108_102744 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Errrr….……:whistle: I've just bought the exact van off this forum last week :D !
Although I have just spent a few quid and 2 days adding a host of mods .
And I wasn't even looking for a grey van , sold my blackberry lwb 4motion with diff lock on the Monday and purchased the grey one on the Wednesday , my blackberry was 6 speed manual and I wanted a DSG .
Any way I hope your search is fruitful in the end .:thumbsup:
I must of been fortunate to have bought them both with "Diff-lock" ?
View attachment 55400

View attachment 55401

View attachment 55402

Congrats.......I did see that one advertised, but I'm looking for one with only one sliding door.

I posted about the benefits and drawbacks of manuals and DSG's elsewhere on the forum, so please let me know how you like the auto when you get used to it :thumbsup:

One door too many, but very jealous ;). If you don't mind me asking, did you buy it new or used ??
Bought new, but it was an unregistered cancelled order that was almost at the port. Only had to wait 3 weeks over the 16 week wait for a factory order.
It's worth noting my previous T6 4motion which met an untimely end, didn't have diff lock but was very capable off road all the same. Tyre choice is key.

I've been searching for a one or two year old LWB 4motion with a diff-lock in grey for a couple of years now, and they just don't come up for sale (Don't want any other colour, don't want it without a diff-lock)..
And that’s the difference between buying new or used. Buy new, put your hand in your pocket & get exactly what you want. Buy used, save some money, but your choice is dictated by the market.
2 years on & no van.
You either have to compromise or get your wallet out.

Congrats.......I did see that one advertised, but I'm looking for one with only one sliding door.

I posted about the benefits and drawbacks of manuals and DSG's elsewhere on the forum, so please let me know how you like the auto when you get used to it :thumbsup:
Hi ,I didn't really want to sell my Blackberry T6 ,but it was a manual and my knee's aren't what they use to be ,so i thought i'd try a DSG model. There is a delay on the auto when you press the accelerator , which is quite annoying but i'll have to get use to it. ;).
TBH there wasn't much for sale when i looked , it was really a choice of 2 !!
Oh and just to keep back on subject, I've never used or had cause to use the Diff-lock on either vehicle.

And that’s the difference between buying new or used. Buy new, put your hand in your pocket & get exactly what you want. Buy used, save some money, but your choice is dictated by the market.
2 years on & no van.
You either have to compromise or get your wallet out.

Yeah, I can't really justify having all that money in a brand new van. I think they've lost just enough in depreciation over a year or two to bring it into my price range. And don't get me started on the added VAT issue for someone who's not using the vehicle for commercial purposes, just for touring :mad:

I'm a great believer in if you're going to to job, do a good job properly...

As it (wrongly in my opinion) costs actual real money to post in the "wanted / for sale" section of the forum

I hope you appreciate the irony here. In one post you've managed to contradict yourself and be one of those people that annoy you.

If you want to do the job properly, pay to list in the wanted/selling part of the forum.

I've been searching for a one or two year old LWB 4motion with a diff-lock in grey for a couple of years now, and they just don't come up for sale

They are certainly available if you buy one new. Go to a dealer and get exactly what you want built to your specs.

Last edited:
I hope you appreciate the irony here. In one post you've managed to contradict yourself and be one of those people that annoy you.

If you want to do the job properly, pay to list in the wanted/selling part of the forum.

Lol......yes, there is a certain irony there. It's the principle........I'm on loads of forums, and not one of them charge to buy or sell stuff. Appreciate that's how it is on here, but I personally wouldn't spend my money just to ask if someone has something that's rarer than rockin' horse sh!t ;)

If you really really REALLY :):):) need a vehicle with a diff, for alot less money you van buy a jeep/SUV (and a trailer) with a diff rather than batter the rare T5/T6 you find.

I currently have a T5 4mo and just bought a T6 4mo both are high spec engines (174 & 204hp). Neither came were specified with Diff lock when bought as in Ireland it is a €1000 extra. In the 4 years I've had the T5 I've never needed a diff lock and I do drive through pretty crappy fields/bad weather. As mentioned above: a good set of tyres would be money better spent. Of course knowing how to drive too helps (buddies wife buried a 4mo crew cab to the axles :(:(:()

The ESB (state power company) use 4mo T5s but never bought them with diff locks, they just had off road tyres on them. They were up and down crappy country lanes, driving through fields in all sorts of weather. Failing that they have Merc Unimogs. I also know mountain rescue did buy a Fleet of Transporters with raised suspension and diff locks however they have a very specific requirement and a van close to 50K

I bought a used van, I think they just went down the option list and ticked nearly everything without thinking and made some wierd choices.. I don't have difflock but I have hill decent, which will never ever be used, tbh I don't when or where it will really be used and its a fortune as an option.

Back