Which Wind Out Awning For A Lwb? Dometic, Thule Or Fiamma?

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm looking at getting a wind out awning for my lwb T6. Out the of the 3 main brands which would people recommend? The Dometic looks to be the cheapest out the bunch.

I'm looking to use it in conjunction with a Reimo multirail and will be getting a pop top next year, potentially an SCA as I know that can affect what brackets to use.

I may look into getting the additional sides/front (privacy room?) For one too if that changes anything.

Any thoughts/help/advice appreciated :)

I'm looking at getting a wind out awning for my lwb T6. Out the of the 3 main brands which would people recommend? The Dometic looks to be the cheapest out the bunch.

I'm looking to use it in conjunction with a Reimo multirail and will be getting a pop top next year, potentially an SCA as I know that can affect what brackets to use.

I may look into getting the additional sides/front (privacy room?) For one too if that changes anything.

Any thoughts/help/advice appreciated :)
We have a Fiamma and it works well, I would recommend not going down the ‘privacy room’ route - they are heavy, cumbersome and leak. You would be better getting a drive away awning which will attach to the Fiamma.

We have a Fiamma and it works well, I would recommend not going down the ‘privacy room’ route - they are heavy, cumbersome and leak. You would be better getting a drive away awning which will attach to the Fiamma.
I agree. Had a privacy room on my T5 it was a nightmare. A good drive away is so much more versatile.

Cheers.
Was hoping the privacy room would be a little less faff than a driveaway, which I've had a couple of in the past, doesn't sound like it though.
I thought I read some positive reviews on here of the the privacy room type sides, is there a lighter weight version available?

Any experience of mounting one along with a multirail?

Anyone got a Dometic version?

Cheers.
Was hoping the privacy room would be a little less faff than a driveaway, which I've had a couple of in the past, doesn't sound like it though.
I thought I read some positive reviews on here of the the privacy room type sides, is there a lighter weight version available?

Any experience of mounting one along with a multirail?

Anyone got a Dometic version?
I have one which has never been used cos it's the wrong size for my Dometic wind out!
was thinking of selling when I could get more info on it and becoming a "VIP"

I had a Fiamma F45s fitted when I bought the van. Not used it as such as I find the drive away Kampa awning more useful.
I was thinking of getting the guy who does the conversions at Kahuna Campers, to remove it and fit a Reimo awning rail instead.

If you have a SCA roof, and an awning rail, can you still have a wind out awning ?
Saw a thread/ article that connected the awning to an unfurled awning cassette, but the resulting gap leaks or you have to faff around with foam infills.

If you have a SCA roof, and an awning rail, can you still have a wind out awning ?
Saw a thread/ article that connected the awning to an unfurled awning cassette, but the resulting gap leaks or you have to faff around with foam infills.

I believe there are specific rubber infills to cure this, or as you say foam. I'll be using a Reimo multirail which doubles as a rain gutter so should hopefully cure it. If not it'll be the rubber strip/foam fix.

I have Reimo rails fitted to both sides (twin slider) and a Thule wind out awning along with a Vango drive away awning.
I usually attach the driveway to one side and the Thule to the other. It offers the best of both worlds when camping on the “park it where you like” sites.
The Vango we use for storage and cooking in and it’s better if it’s raining and the wind out to sit under when the sun comes out.
Plus I believe twin Reimo rails make the van look more balanced.

We have twin Reimo rails and a Thule wind-out awning as well. Second rail is pretty much cosmetic only as we don’t use a separate awning just the wind-out.

Thule awning can make a rattling noise on bunny roads. Don’t want to over tighten incase the material stretches (not sure whether it would or not).

Also when windy need decent tie-down straps (for the obvious reason) but also so you can tension the awning or it flaps noisily onto the struts.

We have the fiamma F45s. It gets used most on hot holidays as shade/rain shelter for the van door and we use our driveway separately off the van for storage to avoid the heat build up in the van.
.IMG_20190811_143604987_HDR.jpg
On cooler trips, we attach the driveway to the van and use the fiamma to help tighten the tunnel.
IMG_20190422_181127324.jpg

We also have the rain guard fitted to block the gap between the cassettes and van

The awning is not on the van at the moment as its been in for repair. Not sure if these are what you're looking for.

Yes thanks.
Which brackets are they and can it go any lower (will the brackets or the sliding door limit it?).
Cheers!

Yes thanks.
Which brackets are they and can it go any lower (will the brackets or the sliding door limit it?).
Cheers!
They are the brackets Three Bridges used when they fitted it. Don't think they are the standard brackets it comes with but I wanted to be able to swap it to either side.
They will go lower, intact they can go too low so you can't open the sliding doors, so it can go as low as possible, if that makes sense.

Back