Fiamma Awning in use on T6 - question about front cab door

Newadventurer

T6 Pro
Hi there so we went for our little mini outing this afternoon , all went well in the main , pop up roof popped up and down well , fridge issue sorted , awning went up fine , legs fully extended etc , but one question please to any fellow fiamma awning owners - is it usual and normal for the awning roof supports, when awning is fully out and extended and in use as a shelter , to get in the way of the front cab door opening other than a few inches before it hits the awning roof supports which obviously is at an angle as its a sloped roof ( not a major problem as we can get in via other accesses eg the sliding door and the driver cab door and the tailgate) , but just really wanted to know if it normal for that to happen as we can't see and think of any other way for the roof to be or operate to enable the door to open out further - many thanks

Perfectly normal, just take the front leg adjacent to the front door up a bit more. The front door will then clear the roof bars without taking the top layers of paint off the top of the door! We learned that on our rental before we bought our own! Fortunately the owner didn't notice, he was more concerned about two of his rim protectors we totalled!

It depends on the rake of the awning. My van has a scar on the top edge of the door as evidence of this happening in the past and I have caught the awning arm myself while putting on the front screen cover.

Perfectly normal, just take the front leg adjacent to the front door up a bit more. The front door will then clear the roof bars without taking the top layers of paint off the top of the door! We learned that on our rental before we bought our own! Fortunately the owner didn't notice, he was more concerned about two of his rim protectors we totalled!
thank you for the heads up , will try that out with the front on our 2nd attempt ( and will try to avoid taking the paint off too !)

It depends on the rake of the awning. My van has a scar on the top edge of the door as evidence of this happening in the past and I have caught the awning arm myself while putting on the front screen cover.
Its good to know where we are going wrong and hopefully will try to avoid the door hitting it on our 2nd attempt - steep learning curve !

@Newadventurer Sometimes the front door is unusable even with leg fully extended ground is lower for leg than where the van is or the front wheel is in a ramp to get van level generally once the passenger seat is swivelled we don't use that door
ah I see what you mean , yup I think like you once seat is turned around we will ignore the side door and use the slider / tailgate thanks for the tip

Might be an idea to see if you can protect the risk area on the door with some helicopter tape or an offcut of PPF?

• Love
Reactions: CAB
Awning should be angled
anyway if it is likely to rain.
question if it does rain and its got wet and you are moving on so need to roll it away to drive , what do you do about drying it out especially with GB weather where you can end up with a few days a rain does the canvas come to any harm /damage if stored rolled away and do you have any tips please ?

Reactions: CAB
I've honestly had no problems just winding it back in when wet, after many uses, no problems. We recently bought the rafter pro to keep the middle bit more taught, worth buying, stops 'noisy flappage', and it's somewhere else to hang fairy lights! (more importantly)! As others have said, angle it when it's raining to stop pooling.

I use a short piece of foam pipe insulation on the awning arm where it would contact the door . Saves damage when I forget and try to open the door too far, usually when getting to the alarm ferry mode switch on the drivers side b pillar which I use to stop the alarm going off unnecessarily when the top is up.

I've honestly had no problems just winding it back in when wet, after many uses, no problems. We recently bought the rafter pro to keep the middle bit more taught, worth buying, stops 'noisy flappage', and it's somewhere else to hang fairy lights! (more importantly)! As others have said, angle it when it's raining to stop pooling.
thank you for your help and tips too , I bet the fairy lights look pretty ! ( Battery ones I assume ? )

I use a short piece of foam pipe insulation on the awning arm where it would contact the door . Saves damage when I forget and try to open the door too far, usually when getting to the alarm ferry mode switch on the drivers side b pillar which I use to stop the alarm going off unnecessarily when the top is up.
great tip thanks - I am coincidently using a piece of that pipe stuff in the rear of the van whilst getting used to its shape and compactness to stop me bumping me head constantly ( ouch ) on the back bit when the roof straps threads through :grin bounce:

Back