Which victron DC to DC to buy?

Okay I've just spent £600... There was two offers on..15% off and £160 off battery

View attachment 212046

Ok, that'll do it!

To be fair, I often follow this process too:

Step 1) Spec out requirements, carefully consider options, weigh up budget vs utility...
Step 2) IMPULSE BUY MASSIVE SHINY THING!

Anyway, it'll definitely do what you want, and you can add solar at a later date if required.

A couple of questions please…
I’m looking at a 30A Victron unit. Isolated or non isolated? Also, does the unit require an ignition supply?
Thanks.

Isolated is only needed if you don’t have a common negative such as on a glass fibre boat. Non isolated for a van but you can use isolated too if you want. No, it doesn’t need an ignition wire but you can if you want. Instruction manual is available on Victron’s website or 12voltplanet.

Isolated is only needed if you don’t have a common negative such as on a glass fibre boat. Non isolated for a van but you can use isolated too if you want. No, it doesn’t need an ignition wire but you can if you want. Instruction manual is available on Victron’s website or 12voltplanet.
Thanks, i assumed so with regards to using a non isolated and the common chassis negative. I wasn’t sure of the pros and cons of using/not using an ignition feed. Is it simply to turn the unit on and off?
I’ll have a read of the manual. Thank you.

What @ginkster said.

Unit will work with auto engine detection,

But works better with an ignition feed.

I would run the ignition feed.
I didn't initially and the engine shut down detection is a pain in the arse to get right, due to the van's alternator only charging the starter battery to 70% and then only topping up battery on deceleration.
The starter voltage can be seen as low as 12.1v for reasonable durations when the BMS has decided that no more voltage is necessary and this plays havoc with trying to configure the shutdown detection so that the dc-dc charger isn't cycling power more regularly than it should.

I would run the ignition feed.
I didn't initially and the engine shut down detection is a pain in the arse to get right, due to the van's alternator only charging the starter battery to 70% and then only topping up battery on deceleration.
The starter voltage can be seen as low as 12.1v for reasonable durations when the BMS has decided that no more voltage is necessary and this plays havoc with trying to configure the shutdown detection so that the dc-dc charger isn't cycling power more regularly than it should.
Wot he said ^^^^^^^^^ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back