Which Sikaflex

Markymark

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Having a crisis of confidence!

which of the many Sikaflex/Sikabond adhesive/sealants do folk recommend for sticking the batons to the metal floor before fixing new plywood floor?

cheers Mark

As anyone found a cheap supplier for the 221?

I assume I’ll be needing a few tubes with all the tasks involved in a conversion!

I’ve encountered both of these products in the caterham seven world, where they are used to bond the fibreglass cycle mud guards to the metal wing stays. They do fly off occasionally but always due to the powdercoating coming away from the metal rather than the adhesive failing.

Also used to stick on front number plates to the fibreglass nose cone - they are a b1tch to get off!!

I’ve used tigerseal as a seam sealer and would have no hesitation using it on the van.

It will mainly be used bonding the ply floor but also looking to use to bond Van-x California awning rail.

CT-1 is ace I've used sika, Tiger seal and Sticks like S&^t, CT-1 was fantastic for all areas of work can be used under water. If you use sikaflex I recommend getting the primer too its great for van conversions, my opinion.

Got a single piece floor from here. Very accurate and they custom cut lashing holes of req so they are bang on. Very happy.

Got a single piece floor from here. Very accurate and they custom cut lashing holes of req so they are bang on. Very happy.
If you can believe it the ply arrived at 8:30 this morning. I had emailed then last night asking for a refund. Thanks for replying though

Is one tube enough for sticking the ply batons?
I am guessing I wll use two of them, all depends on how much you apply and baton coverage (stating the obvious). If you are screwing into the batons then I would say you may get away with one just to hold them in place. You can always buy more!

I am guessing I wll use two of them, all depends on how much you apply and baton coverage (stating the obvious). If you are screwing into the batons then I would say you may get away with one just to hold them in place. You can always buy more!

True, I will probably pick up 2 for good measure.

Is one tube enough for sticking the ply batons?
Hi, I can confirm one tube is enough to fix the ply battens. I used external grade ply, one thing to watch out for is the bow of the sheets, I had to use weights to counter the curve, pick or request a sheet that is flat as possible. I used 3/4 of a full sheet 9mm to do this.

IMG_3279.JPG

Reactions: Rg_
question on which sikaflex to.... fill the ridges on the roof around the self-adhesive solar panel? I am looking at using the sikaflex to seal/fill the gap left at the front of the panel only as the sides dont overhang the ridges by more than an inch. I was thinking of 552 due to the vibration and stress the front of the panel will face at high speeds. Any thoughts? it si more about sealing than adhesiion.

Thanks

How long would you leave the battons weighted down for sika/tiger to cure before screwing the ply floor?

Depends on temperature, do a test piece at the same time, once the test piece is solid the rest will be also.

Back