How to re-insulate headliner and how to fix down since I scrapped the fiberglass molded liner?

QPiepelr65

Ford Transit Connect
I really hated that molded fiberglass stuff so ripped it away to leave bare metal.

I insulated that 1st time around with cork tiles since they were able to curve to the shape of the headliner roof.

Problem was that the glue they came with has peeled off as it got hot. More importantly though the worse issue, which I didn't see until they peeling off is that mold had been growing underneath since I guess they peeled a bit, leaving gaps where moisture would trap.

So I ripped it out and was left with a nasty mess of contact adhesive mixed with black mold spots. I had a good go using solvent and scraped away most of the adhesive. I am not able to see any more black however I plan to put a layer of fungicide before redoing.

Now I believe the mold issue happened because it was soaking wet on the roof for most of winter due to not having proper ventilation at the time. I have since added 2 fans and things are much better in that department.

Another thought I had which could be a contributing factor is that I use that area to store my clothes and maybe I pick up mold spores while outside and then they had a lovely wet place to rise to when I took the clothes off and put them in the headliner.

I want to reinsulate now but I want it to be easily demountable so I can keep an eye for any issues and not have that terrible job of scraping adhesive off the roof again.

Since I ripped the fiberglass stuff out I am wondering how I could fix new insulation on and also what best to use.

That part is tricky because it is round a bend. For flat you can use firm board type stuff. On the other hand with the totally bendy quilt type options I have nothing to fix it to since I took the headliner out.

I could use the cork tiles again but, as above, I'm not sure how to attach while allowing easy, mess free, disassembly should the occasion arise.

Back