Which roof-bars for my roof rails?

Didn't see any noticable change when i fitted them @Skyliner33 although i am changing the wingbars for a side loading rack shortly when it is completed. That will be slightly chunkier so i will have to see if that affects the solar much,we'll see

A solar panel can be installed to the OEM cross bars even though they are curved.

View attachment 114662
What a great install, my installer stuck mine to the roof with No Nails, Turkish engineering isn’t as intuitiv. My response when I saw it did not need Google Translate to to express my disgust. Lesson learned. Problem is I want to fit crossbars but the only fixings are the bolts you can see. 3 Thule Tent side and 5 drivers side, any advice what maybe available .. ?

E14DA249-2EE4-4180-9B3E-E7B0D5515827.jpeg

1208B32F-C276-4CF7-88E3-8F50BFD12ED3.jpeg

What a great install, my installer stuck mine to the roof with No Nails, Turkish engineering isn’t as intuitiv. My response when I saw it did not need Google Translate to to express my disgust. Lesson learned. Problem is I want to fit crossbars but the only fixings are the bolts you can see. 3 Thule Tent side and 5 drivers side, any advice what maybe available .. ?

View attachment 135014

View attachment 135015
How about something like this, mounted in the rear points instead of front?

762DB462-8AAE-45F4-AE2E-3FDD6FEBF417.jpeg

Nice bit of kit but the canoe I want to carry is too long for that application
Thanks for the idea
Ok. It would be a be a big job, but if you removed your panels and stuck one in front of the other, lengthwise, that would allow you to fit the OEM bars and rails.

Ok. It would be a be a big job, but if you removed your panels and stuck one in front of the other, lengthwise, that would allow you to fit the OEM bars and rails.
The amount of No Nails they used to stick the panels to the roof would wreck the panels and roof if I tried to remove them …
im considering these UltiBars, but only one fixing bolt per leg, not so sure of its security

F46D2276-EEC5-43BA-B2E6-F3824E17B6BB.jpeg

46EB7619-E1BC-474F-9B80-2F5EF565C464.jpeg

The amount of No Nails they used to stick the panels to the roof would wreck the panels and roof if I tried to remove them …
im considering these UltiBars, but only one fixing bolt per leg, not so sure of its security

View attachment 135020

View attachment 135021
I would think with a piece of steel wire with a handle at each end you could 'saw' through the No Nails. I think that is what I would be doing. Time consuming, but should be possible.
No Idea about those rails you linked.

View attachment 135014

View attachment 135015
Impossible to fix roof rails due to solar panels install, need just roof bars to fit directly to the fixing bolts in the roof channels, see pic above ? UltiBar seems to be an option but would like confirmation through experience if poss.

A solar panel can be installed to the OEM cross bars even though they are curved.

e225029d-e30d-40d7-a6c8-e6fea8ee3d2c_1_105_c-jpeg.114662
Hi @Skyliner33. Is that your setup? I'd like to replicate this and have few questions if you could help?

1. What solar panel and wattage is that? Looks similar to the solar panel I'm looking at.
2. Where are the brackets from? The ones I've found are all single hole but I like the twin holes on yours for added peace of mind.
3. Are they self tappers or bolts attaching the brackets to the cross bars?
4. Do you think it would be possible to mount the brackets under the cross bars instead? Just wondering if there would be enough clearance between the roof and panel for this and I suppose it depends if those brackets are Z or L shaped?
5. How does the wiring enter the van? Have you gone in through the rail? I'd like to go in somewhere near the front to reduce voltage drop as my leisure battery is under the drivers seat.

TIA.

Hi @Skyliner33. Is that your setup? I'd like to replicate this and have few questions if you could help?

1. What solar panel and wattage is that? Looks similar to the solar panel I'm looking at.
2. Where are the brackets from? The ones I've found are all single hole but I like the twin holes on yours for added peace of mind.
3. Are they self tappers or bolts attaching the brackets to the cross bars?
4. Do you think it would be possible to mount the brackets under the cross bars instead? Just wondering if there would be enough clearance between the roof and panel for this and I suppose it depends if those brackets are Z or L shaped?
5. How does the wiring enter the van? Have you gone in through the rail? I'd like to go in somewhere near the front to reduce voltage drop as my leisure battery is under the drivers seat.

TIA.
Hi,

1. Its a Photonic universe 180W panel (from memory as I dont use this any more - I need to go to the garage and look it up.)
2. I made the brackets myself.
3. They are bolts going into a home made captive nut.
4. The brackets are Z shaped so the panel sits on them. They wouldn't mount under the bars the way I made them.
5. They were not permanently connected. I use MC4 connector and passed the wires through the gap ini the window when camping. If wiring them so they are fixed the route would depend on barn doors/ tailgate. Barn doors easier - in through the tailgate hinge openings; Tailgate - down the outside of the van in behind a brake light. Alternatively could put one of the entry points on top of the roof.

I may have the brackets and bits and pieces in the garage, but wont get chance to look until over the weekend.

HTH

@Skyliner33 I’m about to replicate your old solar roof setup.
Are those bars in the pic the genuine VW with the rubber strip removed from the slot?
Also, do the feet come off the end so I can saw the cross bar to length then reassemble them?
As you know my roof rails are fitted to my pop top so aren’t the standard factory gap.
I guess you no longer have the cross bars as I’d also like to know the width of the foot where it contacts the roof rails as I’m only having a small panel so it fits width ways across the van and I need to know the total dimensions of panel plus 2 cross bars so I can ensure they fit between the rear roof rail mounting points.
Hope that makes sense.

Could someone with the factory roof rails fitted into the factory roof mounting holes be so kind as to give me the internal gap measurement between the bars please. Just had a thought that the ones I have fitted to my pop top may be wider apart than the factory gap this preventing me from using the cross bars as they’ll just fall through the gap.

@Skyliner33 I’m about to replicate your old solar roof setup.
Are those bars in the pic the genuine VW with the rubber strip removed from the slot?
Also, do the feet come off the end so I can saw the cross bar to length then reassemble them?
As you know my roof rails are fitted to my pop top so aren’t the standard factory gap.
I guess you no longer have the cross bars as I’d also like to know the width of the foot where it contacts the roof rails as I’m only having a small panel so it fits width ways across the van and I need to know the total dimensions of panel plus 2 cross bars so I can ensure they fit between the rear roof rail mounting points.
Hope that makes sense.
Hi @Bigsidavies,
Yes, they are the OEM rails and cross bars with the rubber removed from the slot.
Yes I still have the roof cross bars. I am pretty sure the end bits that attach the bars to the rails are in the junk storage room (aka garage) somewhere. You will have to give me till weekend though to have a look.
I will let you know. If you dont have the cross bars and fittings, if I can find mine you are welcome to them.

Cheers

Hi @Bigsidavies,
Yes, they are the OEM rails and cross bars with the rubber removed from the slot.
Yes I still have the roof cross bars. I am pretty sure the end bits that attach the bars to the rails are in the junk storage room (aka garage) somewhere. You will have to give me till weekend though to have a look.
I will let you know. If you dont have the cross bars and fittings, if I can find mine you are welcome to them.

Cheers
Thanks Jon. If you find them message me and we’ll sort something out. You’re a star.

Hello
Has anyone fitted these rails and Thule bars to a pop top, there from campervan parts, I’m looking for a low profile cross bar system to carry a couple of paddle boards around locally, not for motorways, would you recommend them?
Cheers722AAAF8-36EC-4DBB-BA08-4DD791E6D844.jpeg

Back