Which roof-bars for my roof rails?

I the OEM are the lowest profile, from what I’ve read it’s best to use a sealant when bolting them in, to prevent and water ingress

I’m also looking for a set of roof rails. My Caravelle doesn’t have anything and seen info about roof preparation rails. Do I need these?
Reading various posts it appears the VW genuine roof rails are highly recommended so think I’m gonna go down this route.

Cheers

Cheers all have ordered from VW and got rails plus two sets of cross bars for £175 plus VAT which I thought was good will get them fitted this weekend if they arrive tomorrow and will make sure I seal them up well .
Would you happen to have the part numbers?

@Dantheman6106 I phoned my local TPS with my trade account details and they said there were over 40 versions of the cross bars but I think they were getting mixed up with something else.

Previous page has the part number for the cross bars, but these are to go on the rails as detailed on the previous page also

Previous page has the part number for the cross bars, but these are to go on the rails as detailed on the previous page also

@Tym thanks for the response. I saw the VW part code for the roof bars but the last three digits are missing. As far as I’m aware it should be four banks excluding the ZGB. Also couldn’t see the VW part number for the rails themselves, only the OMTEC code that refers to their stock codes not VW part no. but thanks anyway.

Hi, Could any one recommend any decent after market roof rails please, it seems a mined field out there, they seem very massively in price.

If its the rails that go from front to back you mean? Then Omtec i think are the ones that VW would sell you. I recently bought a set of these from Van Demon on ebay for £67.49 which i thought was very cheap and when they arrived they were Omtec ones. They are rated at 75kg which is the best you can get without going industrial. Mine are yet to be fitted but have a good read up on fitting them because there are plenty of horror stories about leaking,good luck

Personally will be going for the OEM dealer LWB rails as they are not stupidly expensive and seem pretty strong.
They may well indeed be the Omtec ones that @Martin Gibson has mentioned but I have no way of confirming.
Always had a good experience with the Atera cross bars. They do an aero wing bar which has a slot for T fittings and doesn’t whistle, at least on the car. Not bought one for the van yet. The attachment is also easy, better than Thule IMHO

Just gone for OEM this week, £104 for a SWB which I thought was reasonable, not in stock so will be picking them up next week

If I’m honest I wasn’t impressed with the OEM ones, in my opinion they look and feel cheap. But then they are only about £200 for rails and crossbars.

If I’m honest I wasn’t impressed with the OEM ones, in my opinion they look and feel cheap. But then they are only about £200 for rails and crossbars.

Agreed, especially about the cross bars which I wouldn’t buy anyway. I need the extra roof clearance below the cross bars for windsurf boards and the between style like OEM ones are no good. I want the verifiable loading strength of the fore and aft rails though so they wins despite the looks.

I looked into the vw ones from dealer. They will take 75kg and have a track down the middle but are a different profile to the thule ones.

I also looked didn't like the rubber straps on the wing bar edge so scrapped the idea of roof rails and went fixed with wingbars and low 753 footpack . Its rock solid with no flex and as said before very quite .

A friend got some similar to the vw ones off ebay and they are stupidly flexy so avoid those.[/QUOTE
I looked into the vw ones from dealer. They will take 75kg and have a track down the middle but are a different profile to the thule ones.

I also looked didn't like the rubber straps on the wing bar edge so scrapped the idea of roof rails and went fixed with wingbars and low 753 footpack . Its rock solid with no flex and as said before very quite .

A friend got some similar to the vw ones off ebay and they are stupidly flexy so avoid those.
I have been quoted from Halford's for the 751 on my T6 but don't like the raised look. Are the 753 much lower, can you post a photo?

orite guys whats the best roof bars to go for,to actually use and load some materials on and look cool at the same time for my lwb t6?

Hi, my opinion, is, that a roof racks or bars, aren’t that cool. However, I sometimes need to carry a ladder, or bits over 2.4m (mines a swb) so I went with the VW roof rails, and cross bars. What will you be carrying, coz you’ll have 75kg capacity???

yeah read that, is that the best (load rated ones out there) 75kg? just be like ply,plasterboard, ladders!! not all together :oops:;), just cant fit 2.4 in back. be only occasionally when i need to nip out to builders merchants.
i think they look orite, finish the top off :thumbsup: all personal preference, if we were all the same, the world would be a boring place wouldnt it :D;)
so is 75kg the max?

I believe the maximum load allowed on the roof is 150kg, so you may be able to find some bars that can carry this.
I suspect they will look "industrial".

Pete

Back