Which Reversing Camera?

I have a Garmin Drive Smart 61 and a BC30 WiFi camera.
It doesn’t look like the 61 model is still be marketed but there are equivalents
and here are the ‘back up’ cameras as they market them
It’s all good quality, the satnav maps are very good, I’ve travelled extensively over Europe and no issues.

Not Autovox but Garmin WiFi camera system, highly recommended.

@Chalky123. FWIW I've tried a couple of Autovox cameras recently - a totally wireless (solar powered) one and a wired version. As a simple reversing camera, they both seemed to work very well. I won't bore you with the detail (unless you want!) but neither satisfied my particular requirements so they went back. I bought both via Amazon and they were returned for refund with the usual ease.

@Chalky123. Basically, I wanted something either totally wireless or easily disconnectable to use on a towbar mounted bike rack. The first one that I tried was the wireless camera / battery pack model which would not fit on the number plate holder without me hacking lumps out of it (and it was a bit fugly as well). The is it: AUTO-VOX Solar Reversing Camera Wireless Kit, 5 Mins DIY Installation, Clear Image Backup Camera with IP68 Waterproof for Cars and Van: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo,
Having looked again, the other one that I tried wasn't an Autovox but was made by Orskey (here: ORSKEY Dash Cam for Cars Front and Rear and SD Card Included 1080P Full HD In Car Camera Dual Lens Dashcam for Cars 170 Wide Angle Sony Sensor with Loop Recording and G-sensor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo). When I first saw it on Amazon, my initial thought was that it was just too cheap to be any good but it worked very well for the intended job of seeing where you were going when reversing and was a steal at £40 - I didn't pay any attention at all to the dash cam element of it as that's not what I bought it for. I wanted to just be able to shut the tailgate on the wiring but the fly lead was too short to go in the van from the camera position on the bike rack and any connection wouldn't have been waterproof. I guess that I might have been able to do something to waterproof the connection but didn't want the extra aggro at the time and sent it back. I kind of wished I'd kept it now and tried to do something to adapt it (probably involving heat shrink sleeving and tie wraps and or silicone sealant. Other than that, I think it would have worked well as it took its power from the cable connecting it to the monitor and didn't even need to be wired into the reversing lights if you were happy to turn it on manually when going into reverse. I'll probably wait until I've had a drink to two on a Friday night and order another one or something similar and have a go at modding it., FWIW, when I looked again at the wired Autovox cameras, they all seemed to suffer from the same short fly lead issue as well so i didn't look at them in any more detail.

Sorry for the long response but you did ask!

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Ajay. I did ask. So, there is nothing wrong with the wireless devices. Just didn't suit your application. Thanks again.

I went ahead and bought the Auto-Vox Solar 1. I took the trouble to chop off the Cigar lighter plug, and permanently wired it in. I stuck the screen to the top right corner of the windscreen, and ran the wires down behind the trim strip, and into the back of the light switch. It works very well. Obviously not as big and clear as the original VW head unit would have been, but adequate to do the job.

Hi all,

New to the forum and the T6 community having just bought a 2018 transporter lwb highline dsg:)

I'm looking to make a few mods, first of which is to convert it from barn doors to tailgate and then fit a reversing camera.

On the subject of reversing cameras, there seems to be a few different options so I'm just trying to figure out the best one.

Vagtec adapter
I believe this cable allows installation of the OEM rear camera which needs a 4x4 hole cutting out to install near the number plate illumination.

Bus interface adapter
I understand this cable to allow the installation of an aftermarket camera with a single composite input. Some aftermarket cameras can clip in place of a numberplate illuminator?

Assuming I have the above right and guessing that some members will have experience with these options, which is the best option in terms of ease of install, quality of picture and features i.e. grid lines? Or perhaps there is a better/cheaper way/adapter to achieve the same?

Appreciate either will need coding in too so I hope to hire out the forums VCDS kit or buy one.

The van has discovery media (with an SD slot each side), has navigation and parking sensors.

Cheers

better/cheaper way/adapter to achieve the same?
Communicates via it’s own WiFi with Garmin Satnav, which is also far superior to the VW OEM Satnav. Free map updates.
The camera just needs a 12v power connection from the reversing lamp circuit.

Reactions: JOG
@DXX. As you recommend these so highly, would I be right in guessing that you use one? If so, what camera model and what Sat Nav unit please?

Back