Which poptop mattress?

Lol. I'm worried I'll suffer the same. I don't get on with memory foam pillows for the same reason.
I'm with you on the pillows and also would never buy another memory foam mattress for home either - replaced one we didn't get on with 3 years ago with what I thought was a decent pocket sprung mattress topped with a thick latex layer - quickly developed 2 person shaped craters that are now permanently there - new mattress, with all natural fillings, comes in a couple of weeks. However, a topper for the van is different as it is a lot thinner and the rolling up each day helps to put it back into shape - if only I had room to roll over and look over at the indent I'd left but, with 2 of us sleeping on the RIB, there ain't much chance of that happening ;). I'm sure you will like your new topper!

we only got our van last july/august , we did 5 trips away last year and we always slept downstairs. For future trips we are now wanting to sleep upstairs as there is a bit more room. The upstairs bed is just a solid board though so plenty of cushioning is going to be needed for a good nights sleep.
What would anyone recommend ? I have read that the duvalay 5cm toppers are really good but i have a felling that it still would not be enough and that it would still be uncomfortable ?
20190318_065448.jpg

Last edited:
they look really good and are a lot cheaper than the duvalay toppers. Do they roll up ok ?

They are big !
What i think im going do as got a HiLo so no room up top for storage is chuck duvet over rock roll bed as a cover bend the Dozers in half and stash behind rock roll bed.

Honestly not sure yet on packing configuration, but we need them so will have to make it work, comfort is paramount !

Duvalay for me. 40mm was good enough for me so can only imagine that 50 would be better again.
Do you use duvalay in the pop top or do you sleep downstairs ? Im starting to think that to sleep upstairs on what is basically a carpeted board, i will probably need 2 layers.....layer 1 = ??? and layer 2 = duvalay or alpkit dozer / trail type topper.
I think without 2 layers it will be too hard for us to have a comfortable nights sleep ?

Have you considered the self inflating mattresses? You can leave them in the roof when it's down.
2 that im looking at are self inflating, the alpkit dozer and the trail. Im not sureyou could leave them up in the roof though ? Even when deflated i dont think i'd have enough clearance ?

Do you use duvalay in the pop top or do you sleep downstairs ? Im starting to think that to sleep upstairs on what is basically a carpeted board, i will probably need 2 layers.....layer 1 = ??? and layer 2 = duvalay or alpkit dozer / trail type topper.
I think without 2 layers it will be too hard for us to have a comfortable nights sleep ?
Obviously, each to their own.
Mine are used in the @HiLo Roofs . The bed board does have a 10mm foam under the carpet. I have slept on this with a sleeping bag but was alittle u comfortable. The addition of the Duvalay was just right for us.
Pack size is approx 18 x 28inches(check website) the nice thing for me, with having 2, was that I could use either 1 or two (side by side) one ontop of other etc
Mrs F. is a cold person but found that she was warm and comfortable with the duvalay.

Edit:You can leave them on the bed when you push the bedboard up. But I have not tried it when roof is closed, reason being that my ceiling is 12mm lower that std and my bed it 10mm thicker than std.

Obviously, each to their own.
Mine are used in the @HiLo Roofs . The bed board does have a 10mm foam under the carpet. I have slept on this with a sleeping bag but was alittle u comfortable. The addition of the Duvalay was just right for us.
Pack size is approx 18 x 28inches(check website) the nice thing for me, with having 2, was that I could use either 1 or two (side by side) one ontop of other etc
Mrs F. is a cold person but found that she was warm and comfortable with the duvalay.

Edit:You can leave them on the bed when you push the bedboard up. But I have not tried it when roof is closed, reason being that my ceiling is 12mm lower that std and my bed it 10mm thicker than std.
Thanks Fish :thumbsup:

Anyone looking at Duvalay should consider the sleeping bags rather than just the toppers - you get all of your bedding (topper, duvet, poly-cotton sheets and pillow) in a single roll and you can easily change the duvet to match the season. We converted to Duvalay whilst camping under canvas after many years of using air beds, SIMs, etc., and they work very well for us.

Anyone looking at Duvalay should consider the sleeping bags rather than just the toppers - you get all of your bedding (topper, duvet, poly-cotton sheets and pillow) in a single roll and you can easily change the duvet to match the season. We converted to Duvalay whilst camping under canvas after many years of using air beds, SIMs, etc., and they work very well for us.
Sounds like another good option, i'll have a look at them
:thumbsup:

We had a Kampa kip wide boy self inflated mat in the T5 , tbh we left it up in the roof for over a year and only took it out when I sold the van much to the new buyers disappointment.

I have an austops pop top. I believe there is a limitation to the weight for sleeping up top, does anyone know what this is or used the top for sleeping on 2up and can report?

I’m considering investing in Duvalay mattress topper for our T5. What would you recommend for the pop up bed...thinking the wider 122x2.5cm thick. Don’t think I need to roll this up each time expecting to leave up there. For the bed beneath thinking to get 2x58cmx2.5cm compact ones. Thinking these will roll up nicely, but I am compromising the comfort of a 5cm over the ease of rolling up. Does anyone have experience of rolling the 5cm ones or sleeping on the 2.5cm ones?

I’m considering investing in Duvalay mattress topper for our T5. What would you recommend for the pop up bed...thinking the wider 122x2.5cm thick. Don’t think I need to roll this up each time expecting to leave up there. For the bed beneath thinking to get 2x58cmx2.5cm compact ones. Thinking these will roll up nicely, but I am compromising the comfort of a 5cm over the ease of rolling up. Does anyone have experience of rolling the 5cm ones or sleeping on the 2.5cm ones?
We have the 4cm duvalays, wouldn't want to go thinner.

Back