Which poptop mattress?

Spark’s

Just to say hello to everyone and ask for some advice. Just bought our first campervan after years of camping. Really love it. We have done a couple of trips and feel we need a tad more comfort as were getting on a bit (60’s). We will be off two Europe next year for a month, three adults and two dogs, so it’s a comfort space issue. Love to here your thoughts.

We have the Comfortz mattress and an Outwell camper lux double sleeping bag. The mattress folds back on itself and stack nicely on the rear shelf and the sleeping bag in its stuff bag.

We have Duvalay sleeping bags and love them - mattress topper, all bedding and pillow in a single roll - 2 sit nicely on the rear shelf of our RIB - laid down when driving so we can still see out of the rear window or stood up during the day so we can access the rear cupboard.

Pair of Duvalays for us, roll them up and store them on the rear RIB shelf when not in use. 2 fit easily with space to spare.
If you have a R&R bed with small rear shelf they may not fit on there.

I would say dont buy anything until you're pretty sure its right - twice I wasted money on 'proper' toppers I couldnt get along with.
Whatever your choice, if you enjoy a cup of tea in bed and you're as clumsy as me then I think an essential is a four-foot waterproof mattress cover to protect the Rib - the Terry Towelling ones are nice & comfy and only £10.
Cheers
Phil

My thanks for all your input. Am I nearer making a choice? Not really. Most seem to like the Duvalays either mattress or sleeping bag, especially now they make them to fit the bed. Must admit I like the sound of Comfortz Leisuire mattress as it folds flat which should be a space saver. But haven’t had any feedback as to how comfortable they are. Appreciate your opinion Loz.

I had a Duvalay combination sleeping bag and mattress topper in my T5 and didn't like it at all. The memory foam base was uncomfortable and the sleeping bag moved around in the liner and was never the same once it had been washed. I ended up getting a thicker, non memory foam, topper which was much more comfortable and a separate duvet. I don't need a topper in my T6 and binned the sleeping bag, but the memory foam lives on as protection for the fllor when I'm working in the van.

I had a Duvalay combination sleeping bag and mattress topper in my T5 and didn't like it at all. The memory foam base was uncomfortable and the sleeping bag moved around in the liner and was never the same once it had been washed. I ended up getting a thicker, non memory foam, topper which was much more comfortable and a separate duvet. I don't need a topper in my T6 and binned the sleeping bag, but the memory foam lives on as protection for the fllor when I'm working in the van.
Are you sure it was a Duvalay? The “sleeping bags” consist of a poly-cotton sheet with two zipped pockets - one fits the memory foam topper nice and snug and the other takes a standard size single duvet so you can select whatever tog rating you like. We have washed ours numerous times with no issues and certainly no more movement of the duvets within the cover than you would get with any duvet in a cover.

Are you sure it was a Duvalay? The “sleeping bags” consist of a poly-cotton sheet with two zipped pockets - one fits the memory foam topper nice and snug and the other takes a standard size single duvet so you can select whatever tog rating you like. We have washed ours numerous times with no issues and certainly no more movement of the duvets within the cover than you would get with any duvet in a cover.
Definitely Duvalay, came with the duvet in it and the "sleeping bag" is open at one side, meaning who ever slept on the open side lost the cover in the night :). But different things work for different people, this didn't work for me, but I don't think any memory foam would have. I replaced it with a cold foam topper and ordinary duvet from Dunelm and all was well.

Definitely Duvalay, came with the duvet in it and the "sleeping bag" is open at one side, meaning who ever slept on the open side lost the cover in the night :). But different things work for different people, this didn't work for me, but I don't think any memory foam would have. I replaced it with a cold foam topper and ordinary duvet from Dunelm and all was well.
We flip one inside out so the open sides face each other down the centre of the RIB - the duvet portion is twice the width of the topper which means you can overlap them over each other and/or fold back over you.

Duvalay 5cm portable topper with gold foam in our bus, wife and kids always seems very happy on it, I sleep in the awning on a blowup bed.

I went for a duvalay 2.5cm topper (on top of a Reimo 3000 bed)...but actually, I wish I'd gone for the 5cm one instead.

Memory foam is great for some people, not so good for others. I tend to roll around in my sleep and I find
if I roll one way, the imprint of me laying the other way is often enough to wake me up :)
Old fashioned sponge for me please! ;)

Memory foam is great for some people, not so good for others. I tend to roll around in my sleep and I find
if I roll one way, the imprint of me laying the other way is often enough to wake me up :)
Old fashioned sponge for me please! ;)
Lol. I'm worried I'll suffer the same. I don't get on with memory foam pillows for the same reason.

Back