Which Jump Starter?

lfgward

Advice required. Hi guys - I thought it would be prudent to carry one of those small JumpStarter powerpacks about with me as I have an electric lift seat installed for my better half and am a little concerned that with the extra demands on the van battery I might get caught out one wintery day!!!
When browsing through Amazon and looking at some of those available I noticed that consideration had to be given to the vehicle CCA. Needless to say - I have no idea what my vehicle’s CCA is. (Kombi 150)

Anybody able to advise? Also - any recommended powerpacks you guys are already using?

Cheers: Lawrence

CCA is Cold Cranking Amps - it is a measure of how much current needs to be supplied by a battery.

This figure is often printed on your battery.

Pete

The 110Ah starter battery has about 950 CCA.

We have various jump packs from Clark and Noco.

Our favourite one is the Noco due to it being small, lightweight and powerfull due it being lithium..so great to carry around in the van.

We have the GB150. But there are others like the GB70..

GB150-Portable-Lithium-Battery-Car-Jump-Starter-Booster-Pack-For-Jump-Starting-Gas-Diesel-PT01.jpg

Have a look....

NOCO | Start Dead Batteries

We also have the Clark 12/24 which is great.... but very heavy and cumbersome.....so better off left at home for a home jump pack.

Jump Start Range - Machine Mart

The 110Ah starter battery has about 950 CCA.

We have various jump packs from Clark and Noco.

Our favourite one is the Noco due to it being small, lightweight and powerfull due it being lithium..so great to carry around in the van.

We have the GB150. But there are others like the GB70..

View attachment 30174

Have a look....

NOCO | Start Dead Batteries

We also have the Clark 12/24 which is great.... but very heavy and cumbersome.....so better off left at home for a home jump pack.

Jump Start Range - Machine Mart

Have this same Noco unit and used it in anger for the first time on hol to help out a German Merc T1 owner. Started straight away.

Have this same Noco unit and used it in anger for the first time on hol to help out a German Merc T1 owner. Started straight away.

We use ours for everything..

Usb charging.
Pumping up 12v airbeam tent.
12v for tyre inflator.
Light for all sorts.
12v for running fridge in between moves.

And off course jump starting.... now needed it on our vans yet.... but used numerous times to help out others.

And off course jump starting.... now needed it on our vans yet.... but used numerous times to help out others.
So that's in the real world. But in theory?

T6 diesel engine start-up

T6_startup_1b.jpgMeasurements were done using a VCDS cable, achieved time resolution 130 ms.

Timeline of events :

• Timestamp 3.5 sec: Initiate starting by turning key to position start
    Preglow, power up of ECU+other modules, lights, etc​
  • Timestamp 5.2 – 6.0 sec Engine cranking, drain from battery peaks at 400 A for 0.3 sec
    Afterglow​
  • Timestamp 7.5 sec Alternator is started
  • Timestamp 8.1 sec. End of battery discharge, start of battery recharge, engine being self-sufficient.
Energy Statistics:
  • Total energy taken from the battery for starting the engine up to the point it being self-sufficient, that is no more drain from battery, alternator have started to recharging the battery.
[Time 4.6 sec] x [Voltage (avg) 11.7V] x [Current (avg) 97 A] = 5220 Joules​

Other statistics:

• Peak current during cranking = 400 A, duration about 0.3 sec.
  • The energy consumed during “worst” 3 seconds (that is NOCO specified performance criteria Joules3S), which took place during timestamps 3.8 – 6.8 sec. About 4700 Joules.
  • The “worst” 1 second period consumed 2700 Joules.
Math lesson:
  • How many T6 engines can be started from a NOCO GB40 (the smallest one for a diesel) which has advertised battery capacity of 24 Wh?
24 Wh = (24 W x 3600 sec) = 86400 Joules. Taking into account that all that energy is probably not available for such a high demand, perhaps half of that, still quite a few…​

Awsome data there...

And yes That s why we have the GB150 and recommended the GB70

I personally wouldn't bother with a GB40.

And I always keep it fully charged.....

But did flat it out when trying to help a TDCi owner with a faulty HPFP...... but they are great for a one off jump start on a healthy engine with a flat battery....

And much more portable than the heavy SLA battery's.

There a great 12v or usb battery pack too... I use it more for that than anything else.... ie camping Etc.

Reactions: mmi
I've only ever used mine once and that was for someone else but I always check the state of charge before going on any substantial trip and am always amazed at how little charge it loses while being left for months

Is the noco still the preferred choice and most recvomended?

I need to get a new jump start. Im a massive believer in you pay for what you get but £285 for a jump start seems a little high. Is it really worth the money?

Being as the advice is to not clamp directly onto the battery -ve terminal on the T6 when jump starting, I've wondered if there is a convenient place to attach the -ve clamp as the "spread" of these Lithium jump start clamps is quite limited?

A comparable to Noco GB40 is Telwin Drive 13000. These+others were tested two years ago by a local car magazine. They performance of these two as jump starters was alike. Connectivity to other gadgets might be a thing to consider.
As their performance steeply falls with temperature I decided not to go for heavier ones (e.g. GB70) as I can keep smaller size (just the battery of Telwin) in my bag/pocket (so indoors pretty much all day and night) so it's warm thus capable of providing "sufficient" power if needed.

EDIT: Battery alone - "the carry on part": 440 grams, 175mm x 75mm x 30mm.

Last edited:
Back