Which Fridge?

Hi all,

looking for some advice / recommendations on what fridge / cool box to go for.

I intend to build a pod that will fix into my rails in the van at various locations so should I go for a conventional upright fridge or a cool box type. It won’t be in the van all the time.
Thanks in advance,

Have a look here.....

I have that exact fridge/cool box... haven’t run it from the leisure battery yet, so can’t speak to that, but in terms of quality it seems really good, have had it running from mains and it gets real nice and cold, not too noisy and fits in our setup nicely

View attachment 74281
Can I ask you where you got this from? Or is it a self build. I’m looking for a pod with a pull out drawer for my fridge and then other stuff. But can find anything suitable Online.

Have a look here.....

@Dellmassive

awesome write up mate, brilliant thanks :thumbsup:

Looking for a fridge to go in my Evo units, unsure which to go for dometic CRX, CRE, vitrifrigo C51i

Which one uses least power and anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

Looking for a fridge to go in my Evo units, unsure which to go for dometic CRX, CRE, vitrifrigo C51i

Which one uses least power and anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks
I don’t have Evo units but I’ve had a Dometic CRX50 fridge / freezer for a few years, it’s an excellent bit of kit. The freezer box slides out if you want more fridge space.
You can get the power requirements from the manuals which should be online.

Ok, so I‘m new to this and just entered the minefield of what’s the best fridge to install. Some say I am tight, but I have a moral objection to spending £600+ on a fridge for the van (I only spent £400 on a new fridge for the house!!)

it will be used for weekend trips mainly and the odd week here and there.

Any recommendations on the best value for money Fridge?

On a hot day/weekend a decent fridge will be worth every penny and is one of the most important items for any conversion IMHO.

Reactions: DXX
On a hot day/weekend a decent fridge will be worth every penny and is one of the most important items for any conversion IMHO.
Spot on. Nothing better than on a hot day going in to the fridge and grabbing an ice cold beer. Well - actually grabbing a White Magnum runs it a very close second.

On a more serious note, meat etc stays super cold and you don't have the worry re stuff going off. I have the Waeco fridge and whilst expensive worth every penny. Slight criticism is it can actually be too cold - even on lowest setting - items at the back can freeze a little. But back to point above - ensures ice cold beers.

Hi there, Newby here! I'm speccing out a conversion and am wondering - with underslung LPG gas can the fridge be powered by gas instead of electricity? Seems like this would be a real benefit since I hear that an LPG tank lasts for many months under normal use. Is this right, or am i missing something?

You will need to cut ventilation panels in the side of the van. For the standard size gas tank if your cooking and heating as well you might last a week depending on background temperatures

Ah. Don't want to cut into the side of the van. For vents not sufficient? That would be a show stopper.
Thanks for sharing. Does any one have any good things to say about gas fired fridge? (Or is there good reason why it's not standard practice on VW camper conversions)

Electricity is easy to produce, and cheap. Gas, as stated, requires proper venting.
I guess it is a combination of those two things.

Pete

Leisuredrive use them, needs two vents as said above.

And seen below :laugh:

DSC_2160.JPG

Having a three way fridge fitted in my conversion by Cambee. Looked at all options and the biggest tick in the box which made us opt for three way was a simple one - three way is near silent when running on gas according to them.

And as my wife is exceptionally noise intolerant, there was no way a noisy fridge a few feet from her head was going to be getting her vote. And since a noisy fridge would also going to lead to a noisy wife, it got my vote as well!

Back