Which Fridge?

Yea thats one of the ones I'm looking at, or the CRE-50.

The specs look pretty much the same from what I can see

Anyone used the following or similar

We use a dometic combicool ACX 40G ...works well for us ( power‘d by Gas/12v/240v) it’s not a permanent fit item ..couldn’t see the sense in buying a really expensive fridge only to use it a few time a year..but double’s up as beer cooler in the man cave :whistle:

That was my first choice. However worried about battery drain when I'm parked up on day trips and cant use gas.

I have that exact fridge/cool box... haven’t run it from the leisure battery yet, so can’t speak to that, but in terms of quality it seems really good, have had it running from mains and it gets real nice and cold, not too noisy and fits in our setup nicely

5ECD0B04-6418-43D9-B8DA-065942DA118D.jpeg

That was my first choice. However worried about battery drain when I'm parked up on day trips and cant use gas.
We use these gas canisters ( cheap and easy to get ) last about 20hrs per canister only use electric if hook up available..however if you put chilli blocks in at the start and 12v whilst driving it keeps the beer cool all day

B6E339B7-702E-497B-A0CB-3BEDE3FC5D15.png

I have a 12/240v Vitrifigio top loader. Does not lose any cold air when opened

CRX50 is a great fridge / freezer, it allows for a good few days duration wild camping with fresh food.
The freezer box is removable to gain extra fridge space.

I have that exact fridge/cool box... haven’t run it from the leisure battery yet, so can’t speak to that, but in terms of quality it seems really good, have had it running from mains and it gets real nice and cold, not too noisy and fits in our setup nicely

View attachment 74281
Can you remove the divider and use the whole lot as a fridge? Dont really need the freezer part. Thanks

Waeco CRX65 is great, seems better than the older CR65.

Pros, no external vents that a gas fridge needs. Can be switched on and ignored unless you run short of battery power.
Cons, is a bit 'deep' and needs modification of the vehicle inner side metalwork to fit a reasonable width bed/seat.

Don't be put off by comments about noise, with good insulation of your fittings / vehicle side it is quiet even at night.

Can you remove the divider and use the whole lot as a fridge? Dont really need the freezer part. Thanks

No unfortunately it’s moulded into it, but to be fair the fridge compartment is pretty big! I’ll take a snap later and stick it up

The CRX65 can be used as a one compartment item as the freezer portion is a removable portion.

We use a dometic combicool ACX 40G ...works well for us ( power‘d by Gas/12v/240v) it’s not a permanent fit item ..couldn’t see the sense in buying a really expensive fridge only to use it a few time a year..but double’s up as beer cooler in the man cave :whistle:
Bit confused by the manufacturers info. Iv downloaded the manual and it says cant run on gas whilst in the vehicle. However the main info says the following which is different from the ACX40.

This absorption cooler can work on 12 volt supply in the vehicle, on 230 volt mains supply at home and at the campsite or 220 g gas canisters in remote locations or while in transit. There’s an integrated cradle for the gas canister - which will power the box for over 24 hours

Bit confused by the manufacturers info. Iv downloaded the manual and it says cant run on gas whilst in the vehicle. However the main info says the following which is different from the ACX40.

This absorption cooler can work on 12 volt supply in the vehicle, on 230 volt mains supply at home and at the campsite or 220 g gas canisters in remote locations or while in transit. There’s an integrated cradle for the gas canister - which will power the box for over 24 hours
Umm most of any manual is the company covering there arse is case of court case should they give false info......but we use the fridge in this manner.....put cooled of frozen food in at start of journey on 12v supply ( it’s ok but will over an extended use will deplete the battery when engine not running) once on location use electric hook up...if no EHU will put straight on to gas ( canister will work up to 24hrs on a higher temp if you want it colder hence use more gas) the gas system has a pilot light ( as do most gas operated appliances)
so you need to ensure an air gap ( no real heat as such ) and you need to have air flow ( open window/ tailgate ajar..there are devices that allow air flow and allow the vehicle to be locked if needed) We have used it in the van when only using sun canopy/awning or in the tent..what you’ve got to bear in mind that with any pilot light the outside elements can effect its efficiency ...
Its really about common sense, you can power it with what ever you want and use it where you want but if on gas make sure the van is vented......the same rules apply to a camper van that uses a gas water heater
regarding the can’t run on gas whilst in the vehicle...I’d never use gas while driving once stationary that’s completely different
hope that helps :)

Sorry if I’ve got completely confused here but are the waeco and the dometic fridges the same company?

Yes not required whilst driving 12v not a problem. Thought they might be some extra safety features with the internal gas canisters rather than external gas. Be handy of a prolonged bay trip to leave on gas and disconnect 12v when no ones in the van to suffocate :whistle:

Seen the front window guard air grill from just campers. For T5 and T6. Looks the part except " cant use with electric windows "
So a product no one can use on a T6 and prob most T5.

Sorry if I’ve got completely confused here but are the waeco and the dometic fridges the same company?
waeco ...was a German owned company.....Dometic...is a Swedish company.....and produced products side by side but now rebranded as one company

Yes not required whilst driving 12v not a problem. Thought they might be some extra safety features with the internal gas canisters rather than external gas. Be handy of a prolonged bay trip to leave on gas and disconnect 12v when no ones in the van to suffocate :whistle:
Although it says internal gas canister ..it sits on the back..

2905801C-16E3-4FC1-BA85-4B963CBD1700.jpeg

Back