Which Fridge?

So, Im at the point of putting together my design of the cabinets for my DIY T6.1 conversion. The Mrs has stated she wants a top opening fridge which will allow a better look of the cabinet fronts. I get that, but was wondering what the real time in use pros and cons are of a top opening fridge Vs a standard front opening fridge.

Thoughts?

So, Im at the point of putting together my design of the cabinets for my DIY T6.1 conversion. The Mrs has stated she wants a top opening fridge which will allow a better look of the cabinet fronts. I get that, but was wondering what the real time in use pros and cons are of a top opening fridge Vs a standard front opening fridge.

Thoughts?
Problem with top loaders is you have to clear the top to get into it. Chances are that the top will form part of your (limited) work surface, so will always have summat on it.

I would guess a top loader would be far more efficient than a front.
In the French heatwave last year every time we opened our door all the cold just rushed out and the compressor worked it’s socks off to get it cold again.
So every time I wanted a cold beer (which was quite frequently) the poor old battery took a beating..

I would guess a top loader would be far more efficient than a front.
In the French heatwave last year every time we opened our door all the cold just rushed out and the compressor worked it’s socks off to get it cold again.
So every time I wanted a cold beer (which was quite frequently) the poor old battery took a beating..
Or just get a separate beer fridge, sort your priorities:whistle:

Main pro is that you don’t have to get on your knees to get stuff out. Main con is that you are tight for worktop space as it is.

Pete

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards a top loader. Mrs will be happy

Just to add to this and slightly off topic but blimey, I was recently looking at top loaders and absolutely flabbergasted by the prices of Dometic; you can buy a full size double door Samsung American style fridge for less than the 60 litre offering!

Last edited:
Want a top loader but need to wait and see if I will have the depth next to a 1250mm Reimo 3000 seat.
Much better efficiency and better for packing stuff into it which again increases efficiency.
Downsides are the work surface issue and cost.
Think the work surface issue can be fixed with a sliding tray or chopping board type thing.
Also the space just ahead of the wheel arch in my LWB is a bit dead for doors and things which makes it a good place for a top loader, hopefully.

PS anyone got stats for power consumption of Webasto v Dometic? They seem to measure it differently.

Personally the workspace wont be suck an issue for us as it will mostly be a day van. My full camper conversion is to future proof it for resale.

Want a top loader but need to wait and see if I will have the depth next to a 1250mm Reimo 3000 seat.
Much better efficiency and better for packing stuff into it which again increases efficiency.
Downsides are the work surface issue and cost.
Think the work surface issue can be fixed with a sliding tray or chopping board type thing.
Also the space just ahead of the wheel arch in my LWB is a bit dead for doors and things which makes it a good place for a top loader, hopefully.

PS anyone got stats for power consumption of Webasto v Dometic? They seem to measure it differently.
Update; The Reimo 3000 1250mm seat is fitted and the bad news is that neither the Dometic CB40 or Webasto top loading fridges will fit. There is a 20l Vitrifrigo that will easily fit but it’s an unbelievable £850 to buy!
On the CMC website the HemBil Drift spec has a 26l top loader but I can’t seem to find the same unit to buy.
If anyone knows which one it is please let me know.
Aside from the benefits of energy efficiency with the top loader there are very few front door units that will fit the width I have and still be able to move the seat right to the front.

If you don't need it fitted but want a top loader there are lots of compressor top loader fridge/coolboxes out there. We bought an Outwel one last year. Put a small cloth over it and use it as a foot stool or table. Beer easily reachable and extension/ charging lead means it can be put outside next to outside seating.

We are going more day van with full width bed, so no kitchen units but swing out table on B pillar, possibly a second table to be fitted in main cabin. Beer

We use this....gives us a lot a of flexibility ...lots of camp sites have freezers you can use ..on the same token a lot of people have cookers in their vans but never really use them as most cook outside......just a thought ....
Dometic ACX40 G Combicool Camping 3 Way Fridge

:whistle::whistle:

Quick update: I found the Vitrifrigo TL20 for a reasonable price at Evomotion. Prompt delivery and it looks like a nice bit of kit. Although only 20 litres the depth and layout mean you could pack quite a lot in to it.
It’s very efficient and should work for quite a while on my set up.
The thermostat/switch is also separate and can be mounted remotely which will make it easy to turn off and set.
It should easily go in the furniture mid van which is a hard place to put cupboards.

I’ve gone for a top-loader so that it keeps cool when the lid is open and can be used when the bed is down (long bed for my lanky legs).

It cost me £649.

We have the CRX50. Can’t fault it. It has worked faultlessly in some pretty extreme temperatures in Southern Europe, always producing ice for our G&Ts :)

Are the alternatives any cheaper ?

Pete

Any compressor fridge is worth its money when running from battery power..... compared to thermo electric.

Dometic is a well known and trusted brand..... so you pay the premium.

If your up for a gamble you may find unbranded copies.

Back